can u get pregnant without a period while nursing a 10 month old? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2005, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
just curious for info for a friend.

did check kellymom and LLL but couldnt really tell.

thanks for any info.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2005, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, yes, you could do. Your first period will come after your first ovulation, so if you happened to catch that very first egg, you would be pregnant & you wouldn't get a period.

That's how I understand it anyway, I always hate being the first to answer a question in case I'm wrong & somebody shouts at me :LOL
Old 04-13-2005, 08:36 PM

if she is doing ecological nursing - no bottles or paci's,no more than 3 hrs during day and 5 at night w/ co-sleeping the chance of conceiving before your first period is 6%- or it is 94% effective against preventing another pregnancy- this rises to 99% if one watches fertlity signs.

Happily Married to my : 11 yrs- Mama to wild-eyed monkey boy 7-04, fiery little girl 4-07, and the happy smiley baby that sleeps 11-09!
Old 04-13-2005, 09:15 PM

Yes b/c you ovulate before you actually get a period. The Billings Ovulation Method could be helpful to know what CM looks and feels like, if she has that she could be about to ovulate and therefore get pregnant.

As for the nursing time issue, if you are overweight your period may return sooner b/c of the hormones in your fat cells this is to the best of my recollection on the subject.

I've had a nursling nurse every 4 hours or less at night and every 4 hours or less during the day, no paci's, no bottles and yet my period returned with that one at 9 mo and I started having symptoms of ovulation approaching at 7 mo.

Hope that is helpful

(love these little smiles!!! :LOL )
Old 04-13-2005, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
thanks everyone. yes that is the kind of info. i was looking for.

now for me. my periods came back 10 days after my locchia. i thought i had stressed out my body. i was so disappointed since i hoped for no periods till i stopped nursing. or at least a year off. no such luck. instead since i have fibroids my cycle now lasts 10 days.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
Old 04-14-2005, 01:31 PM

My boys are 19 months apart, but I did have periods first! I too got my period back a couple weeks after the loccia stopped with the first- he didn't have pacifiers or bottles just breastmilk, and even nursing two pretty much exclusively 9the toddler ate hardly any food after my milk came back) my periods were back by about 7 months post pardum.

My mother also had her fertility return very early- I was exclusivly breastfed until about 3 1/2 months when I started losing weight and they realized my mom was pregnant and her milk supply was decreasing, she didn't ever have a period. My brother and I are 11 1/2 months apart.
Old 04-14-2005, 02:07 PM

It happened to me, his name is Abraham lol. I had a few signs of fertility type mucus returning but I didn't think it could be possible as I was still nursing so much, but I was wrong.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I'm pg w/ #2, got pg when DS was 10mo. My story is a little different though... I got my PPAF when DS was 4mo. I cycled 3 times, then went back into a state of amenorrhea (didn't get AF for 3mo) I started charting just to find out what was going on w/ my body and to become more familiar w/ my body's cycle. Well, wouldn't ya know it, I was pg.

Moral of the story~ it is DEFINITELY possible to become pg w/o a period

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

Old 04-14-2005, 11:35 PM

Mine will be 11 next month

Got preggers on first egg I guess. No period. Just started feeling nauseous one day and thought, ya know, I was really tired last week. Took the test and it was +.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:46 AM

Yes, Yes, Yes.

I got pregnant before my first PPAF after #2 was born. She was 5 months, no alternative suckling, co-sleeping, nursing on demand. Then, when I was tandem nursing both her and our little surprise #3, I ovulated at 4 months pp. Yep, it does suck to be this fertile!
Old 04-15-2005, 01:25 AM

Happened to me at three months postpartum, within the first three time we had a chance to get pg, I was.

My boys were due 363 days apart.

ETA we were doing ecological breastfeeding, too.
Old 04-18-2005, 04:10 AM

my kids are 345 days apart. no period. careful, careful, everyone!
Old 04-20-2005, 07:07 AM

I got my first period just short of 10 months postpartum, despite ecological breastfeeding, and I'm nearly certain I ovulated 8 days before that. My luteal phases (time between ovulation and your period) have been short since then, but possibly long enough for an embryo to implant.

Mama to Peter (3/8/04), Leo (3/12/06), Timothy (7/24/10), and boy #4 due on the summer solstice 2014
Old 04-23-2005, 06:53 PM

I know several friends that found out they were pregnant before ever having a period...

I would love to get pregnant now. We are not trying or preventing, but I haven't had a period yet, so we will see.

Now, I always wanted the kids to be close in age, but I was never able to get pregnant while nursing. I tried with all of them. I always got pregnant the month after I stopped nursing. I did have a period though....is it possible to have a period but not ovulate due to nursing??

~C~
Old 04-23-2005, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchy_mama
if she is doing ecological nursing - no bottles or paci's,no more than 3 hrs during day and 5 at night w/ co-sleeping the chance of conceiving before your first period is 6%- or it is 94% effective against preventing another pregnancy- this rises to 99% if one watches fertlity signs.

ecological nursing is about as useful (for some people) as the "prayer" form of birth control. (We all know how well "Please Gxd don't let me get pregnant" works. )

dd20mo nursed every hour and a half 'round the clock straight until she was close to 11 months old. My first ovulatory cycle was 6w postpartum. We had an oops when dd was around 10mo old, and have a beautiful baby oops (7w) to show for it.

User Tag List