Help ! Plugged ducts after weaning - Mothering Forums
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy > Help ! Plugged ducts after weaning
zombiemommie's Avatar zombiemommie 09:56 AM 05-02-2005
History: I am uber mastitis prone. I also have, still, enough milk to nurse triplets. I have just weaned my #2 after 27 1/2 months of BF. She was nursing pretty much all night (nap, bedtime, multiple wakings, AM) and not during the day but for naps. I pretty much stopped "cold turkey" and she handled it incredibly well (it was practically effortless). She has an issue with dental caries, BTW. Anyway, I stopped on a Friday morning. By Sunday it was painful. I expressed in the shower. Then I went all week and last night, 9 days after not nursing, and 7 days since last expressing, I was leaking from one breast, the other was sore. So in the shower again. I had little white "blebs" all over my nipples and once scraped away, the breasts both were like fountains. I barely had to express. But now today, I still have soreness on the underside of one breast. I have been braless for the weekend.

1. How long am I going to keep making so much milk without stimulation ?
2. I feel I HAVE to empty a little, and I mean it was an entire week between any breast stimulation - because if I don't I'm going to get sick (and i get SICK)
3. Any herbal tonics I can try to help "dry me up"
4. We still cosleep part of the night, I don't know if that is sending messages to the "sisters". Obviously I won't stop that.
5. Should I do warm compresses ? I thought that went along with emptying the breast every 2 hours.
6. Anybody else go through this ?

Thanks for baring with my babble.

Mallory's Avatar Mallory 11:28 PM 05-02-2005
Stopping cold turkey is hard on everyone

Never had this problem, but here are some ideas.

Cabbage leaves on your breasts can help you feel better, I always prefered cold packs to hot packs, so I would just put them in my bra cold. And something in them really does dry up milk slightly.

Heat increses the blood flow to the area, which will increase the milk, but should also decrease any infection. Cold will decrease the blood supply and lymph that is building up in your breast tissues to get ready for milk production, and I think it feels better!

Keep on letting them run out, but don't empty them, just express the smallest amount you think will keep you healthy.

Maybe try to keep on more shirts then normal at night so physical touches aren't encouraging milk.

Maybe make sure you are laying down sometimes when you express (not always standing in the shower) so that your breast drains a little more evenly.

If you do decide to pump for a while maybe give it to your daughter in a cup or make something with the milk so at least it is also something good in your life still not just sore leaky breasts that won't do what you want.

I don't know if any of this will help. I hope you feel better.
jo11's Avatar jo11 12:02 AM 05-03-2005
Drink sage tea- or you can take it in tincture form. Also, I have read wearing a sports bra helps- even if uncomfortable at first.
HTH
zombiemommie's Avatar zombiemommie 09:01 AM 05-03-2005
Thanks for the advice. Altho it was "cold turkey" I didn't mean it to be. I was going to cut out the night nursing and she responded really well so I decided to just "go for it" - she hasn't asked or tried to latch on or anything -she's happy in the day and sleeping soundly so I am assuming that she is not having a hard time. Our family is in a financial crisis right now and I need to get back to work and that is why I was trying to cut out the nights. I will try the sage and cabbage !!
Corkonian's Avatar Corkonian 04:34 PM 05-03-2005
I weaned maybe a few days before you and had a little engorgement on the left side only, ds favorite! Sounds like you've gotten some excellent advice here. The cabbage leaves worked wonders for me. Just remember to put the head of cabbage in the fridge and before putting a leaf into your bra crumple it up a bit. And also remember to try and not subconsciously snack on the cabbage while out in public!
sarahwebb's Avatar sarahwebb 02:20 AM 05-04-2005
Other supply reducers are

black walnut compresses
peppermint
oregano
sudafed

You can get sage tincture from www.motherlove.com

Best,
Sarah
Up