Blah. :

http://www.askdrsears.com/faq/bf16.asp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2005, 02:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Dr. William Sears is sexist but pretty accurate and a pioneer in AP writing/popularization, but his son, Dr. Jim Sears, seems lacking in the redeeming qualities department. I mean, he's not even reciting the most recent dogma from the AP friggin' A! How lame is that?

Basically, though I do appreciate the good work from Dr. Hale, Dr. Bill Sears, Dr. Jack Newman and Dr. Jay Gordon; I think breastfeeding is women's territory. IMO, men should pretty much confine their breastfeeding support to pampering their partners and writing big checks to La Leche League and other mother support organizations. I am all for equal opportunity, but, jeebus! Find another area to specialize in! Men dominate everything else. Men pontificating on breastfeeding is obnoxious, even when they're right -- which is not the case in Paquerette's link.
Old 05-04-2005, 02:11 AM

I think the point was that if she's tired of explaining and defending maybe it's time to stop NIP... I didn't get the impression that he was saying NIP is bad after a year.

Sarah
Old 05-04-2005, 02:17 AM

Basically, though I do appreciate the good work from Dr. Hale, Dr. Bill Sears, Dr. Jack Newman and Dr. Jay Gordon; I think breastfeeding is women's territory. IMO, men should pretty much confine their breastfeeding support to pampering their partners and writing big checks to La Leche League and other mother support organizations. I am all for equal opportunity, but, jeebus! Find another area to specialize in! Men dominate everything else. Men pontificating on breastfeeding is obnoxious, even when they're right -- which is not the case in Paquerette's link.[QUOTE]

I disagree completely. Men who care about children SHOULD be vocal advocates for breastfeeding, just as vocal as women. They have just as much invested in the health and well-being of the world's children as women do and I'm not about to give them a pass on this. Thank god my husband doesn't think this is a women's issue. He's done a lot more to advocate for breastfeeding than pamper me.
Old 05-04-2005, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahwebb
I think the point was that if she's tired of explaining and defending maybe it's time to stop NIP... I didn't get the impression that he was saying NIP is bad after a year.

Sarah
Old 05-04-2005, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Yeah. I mean, I can think of about 100 worse things he could have said. But I don't like the idea of making a child wait to eat, or filling them up with other stuff, because people are rude and annoying; and I don't think it's going to help people want to nurse past 1 year if they feel like they suddenly ought to hide.

I didn't realize the distinction between the Dr Searses... I mean, I knew it was him and his sons, but I thought he was running the show.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:50 PM

Mothra, that is a good post, you got me thinking. Not agreeing, but maybe trying to envision something between your ideal and mine.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:06 PM

Most of the men in my family are very vocal about breastfeeding advocacy. My grandmother nursed my father and all seven of his brothers and sisters so only the youngest two don't remember seeing someone being breastfed. They grew up with it constantly and were surprised when they started having kids that it wasn't the "norm", especially back then. My dad encouraged me to breastfeed my second when the experience I had with my first was just a nightmare. It was a male friend that suggested a dark beer or glass of wine to help with letdown. He brought me a bottle of Guiness every time he came over. Certainly the most help I've gotten has been from women, but the men in my life were no small influence, either. I think it should be seens as a human issue, not just a special women's interest, you know?

Back to your regularly scheduled thread...
Old 05-04-2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:
I agree. I think he was just helping her to avoid the comments. He wasn't saying don't nip after a year.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:04 AM

I think I agree with every post on this thead! I agree that he was just advising her about how to avoid comments. But I can also see why some are annoyed by his advice to this woman.

He said:
"Let’s face it, it’s no fun to get all those disapproving stares at the mall."

He's right. It's not. But I am grateful to and thankful for those people willing to NIP with older children despite this. I think our society needs more of this, and that it does help forge the way for other bf moms.

I do NIP with my 18mo DS (which to me really isn't that old, so I don't think I probably get the looks some other moms do). However I also don't think bf moms should feel they have to take on the mantle of being a public breastfeeding advocate and promoter when they don't feel up to it. I think few of us are up to it 100% of the time and that's okay.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:35 PM

I always tell my mother that "Dr Sears says...." or "Dr Gordon says..." She doesn't know who they are and she's just glad that I've talked to 'my pediatrician' about things. :
Sometimes ignorance IS bliss. I get to enjoy the advice and help of many and my mother gets to support me in my decisions (even if she doesn't agree or wouldn't have done it herself..)

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:23 AM

"Dr. Jim" and "Dr. Bob" are the ones in the office a majority of the time.

I think "Dr. Bill" (William Sears) is in the office a couple days a week.

I understand what Dr. Jim was saying and I don't think he is trying to tell Mom's not to NIP. I also think he *is* well informed because the Sears family has such an active role in LLL. Martha Sears was a Leader, Jim's wife is a Leader, Bob's wife is a Leader, they speak at LLL conferences. The best part is they are really nice people.
Old 05-08-2005, 03:34 AM

I think the advice was great.But rude people are no reason to stop nursing.And, dare I say, we shouldn't let ourselves be affected by them???
If ya gotta eat, ya gotta eat

Due with number 5 in August. We do all that crunchy stuff.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
If we let the rude and ignorant influence where and when and how we feed our children, then they've won. And if "they" win, our children and our children's children lose.

OTOH, I can understand being tired of catching flak, especially if it's all the time. I didn't get much, but what I did get, from family (of all people!)mostly, was tiring.

"What will you do once you know?"

User Tag List