Problems after Virus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2005, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS will be 1 this week. I'm not sure where I should post this, but I figured I'd start here.

Last week he got a stomach virus (may have been Rotavirus). He threw up a couple times over the course of two days and had explosive diarrhea. By the end of the second day he had no solids left in his system by what I could tell from his poop. It looked just like exclusively breastfed poopies. It's been 5 days and he's still got really loose poop that smells horribly, but does have some semblance of solids in it. He's going once a day and it's a TON.

However... I've noticed that from what I can tell, he's only peeing two or three times a day. That's a lot less than normal.

I have chronic low supply. During the two days of sickness all he wanted to do was nurse, but only in short spurts. I thought it may help my supply, but I don't think it has. In fact, he's barely staying at the breast at all right now. He's never taken more than 5-10 minutes to nurse (since birth), which has obviously not helped my supply issues. Since the virus though, he's only nursing a minute to a minute and a half on each side.

I have tried desperately to give him water (he always has water with his solid meals now), but he won't have anything to do with it. We've tried pedialyte and as a last resort we've tried formula. He won't have any of it. Not in a sippy, not in a bottle, nothing. I don't know what to do to get him to drink. I'm terrified that he could be or will get dehydrated. Is there anything I can offer him that he might take? I don't want to give him juice because I'm afraid it will mess with his bowels and make them even worse.

I don't get anything when I pump and I haven't in about 8 months. I get less than 1/4 of a teaspoon from hand expression. I have only had a letdown about 5 or 6 times in the past 8 months. So, as far as I know, I could have no milk at all and not even know it and he's just using me as a pacifier.

Anyhow, what I really need to find out is... what can I do to get some fluids in him!?!

User Tag List