No more milk but still nursing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-07-2005, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd will be 3 in September. Just this month my milk supply has gone from pretty low to none. I had to go away for 4 days w/o her and that is when I dried up. But she still wants to nurse. I tell her there is no milk and she say in a very sweet and persuasive voice "I will just suck!" She nurses at nighttime and various rough spots during the day.

Anybody else going through this? What do you think?

Jennifer, mama to two beautiful blessings (ds 3/2000 and dd 9/2002) who are growing and amazing me every day and hoping for another!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2005, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've heard of moms able to squeeze some milk out after several months of not nursing. dd has complained on and off about my milk supply. She now nurses about once every 2 days, sometimes less, rarely more. I figure this is just a very slow way of weaning and eventually she'll just stop. I find myself always trying to make a metal note of "our last nursing session".

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
Old 05-07-2005, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do you feel about it? Do you want to stop? If you don't, your body will likely adjust and begin increasing production of milk and it will become more comfortable to nurse. If you are ready to stop then be strong but loving about your decision. Remind her the milk is gone and that your there for cuddles, love, songs, stories, and to provide her with food/drinks instead. She may need to cry about missing nursing, love her through this and tell her you and she have wonderful memories of nursing and will have many more good times ahead. This is hard to do, but I did do this with my son who I felt was close to ready and was really ready to end. I was feeling sore and honestly, tired of the nursing just to be sucked on. I think it would have been nice for him to had longer, but I couldn't do it anymore. So, we talked about how the milk was going away for a while and then when he was down to 1 or 2 times a day, I told him one day it was really gone and I stuck to it. I spent extra time doing other things with him and after about a month, he asked if he could just put his hand on me. That was really sweet, he was really comforted by this and we did this for awhile till he didn't need it anymore. Sorry this is so long! I just wanted it to convey to you that you need to really examine what you are ready for and to give you some support if you are ready to be done. It is a hard choice.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am constantly explaining to other people that nursing is NOT just about the milk. It just isn't. Nursing is SO MUCH MORE than the milk. Its about the way you make your nursling feel when they nurse AND the way you feel when you nurse your nursling. Nursing is comfort, love, and total bliss. THe fact that your babe and countless other babes nurse without milk proves this.

My ds nursed for quite a few months without milk when I was about 4 months pregnant and then got to have colostrum at month 6 in my pregnancy. But obviously he wasn't being sustained nutritionally from my milk then and he was quite happy to nurse without milk. He never said a thing about it in fact. He never complained but I knew that I didn't have milk.

If you aren't uncomfortable nursing without milk then I would go with it. Its quite possible that your supply could come back and there are things you can do to get your supply back if that is what you want. You can pump, take some herbs like fenugreek, offer to nurse more often. If you don't want to nurse anymore, and thats okay too, then you need to decide to wean her gently.

But, no, there is nothing wrong with nursing without milk, nothing at all, as long as the child's nutritional needs are being met elsewhere......GOOD LUCK!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

User Tag List