Very sad about weaning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-08-2005, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is about to turn three, and she is weaning. I'm pregnant and lost my milk about a month ago, and we have been slowly cutting back. It's very much a mutual thing, although I think I will probably be the one to finally call it quits. She will be just fine-- the whole thing has been very easy and painless. But I am overwhelmed with a sense of sadness and loss, even in the midst of feeling some relief that my body will have a bit of a rest. I am not questioning whether we are ready to wean, but I am taken aback by my sense of grief. We've done this together every day of her life; it has been so vital and amazing. I can't believe it's really almost over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 01:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm so sorry mama! i am pretty sure that even if i feel relieved (even now there are nights i wish more than anything that dh could nurse him to sleep), i will really miss the closeness. dh and i have been ttcing for ages now and although i really believe that we'd all be happier to add another little one to the family, when i get my period each month i think at least we'll get another month of nursing.

and congrats on your pregnancy!

Jayne, sewing up a storm mama to ds1 9/03, ds2 2/09, and 2 sweet furbabies.

Old 05-10-2005, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Oh I remember that feeling ! I know I was relieved when my second child started to wean himself during my third pregnancy, and I was the one who finally put an end to it, but I also remember crying when it was over! It just seemed to be the end of such a close and comforting relationship for us both, but the good news was that it didn't end, it just changed! We snuggled a lot and instead of nursing, we talked and it added a whole new level of closness. We had so many silly, sweet conversations and we got to know each other in a whole different way. He was no longer my baby, but my little boy ! I know that it is hard to give it up, but you won't lose the close relationship that you have built over teh last 3 years. You will find other ways to comfort and communicate with each other. Good luck, I know it will all be OK!

User Tag List