Worrying about drying up? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-09-2005, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is there a length of time during BF that I can stop worrying about drying up? A friend told me that after a year, she didn't have to keep pumping or anything, she just always had milk..she BF her daughter for 4 years. There certainly have been changes to my milk supply, letdown, leakage, etc. during the past 10 months. I do pump about every morning and I BF at lunch the 3 days a week I work, otherwise I BF on demand and to put her down for a nap during the day. We cosleep and I BF 2-3 times during the night, including when going to sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2005, 03:42 PM

I guess I'm not sure what you mean- worrying about drying up after a length of time? I think your body will produce as long as it needs to. I have a friend whose milk was basically gone by the time her daughter was 2 (but her dd kept nursing beyond that) and one who still had a ton of milk til her dd was 4! My ds is 13 mo and I work full time, nursing at lunch, and he still relies totally on my milk so I have plenty. I wouldn't worry at all. Mother's milk tea is yummy and can help your supply, and eating/drinking plenty will help too. Happy nursing!
janel
Old 05-09-2005, 08:52 PM

I forgot to say- as my baby gets older, I've noticed that my body more quickly responds to his changing needs.

What I mean is this- I work full time monday through friday (teaching) so on those days he nurses at 7, then 12, then at 5 when I get home. On the weekend he nurses constantly. So at work, my breasts stay pretty empty until about 11, and by 12 they are nearly engorged. Then they stay empty feeling until about 4 and by 5 there's a ton of milk for el. On the weekend, they fill steadily since he nurses every 2 hrs. If I happen to take a sick day, el of course wants to nurse steadily throughout the day, so he nurses at 7 like normal, then at 9. At 9 he gets barely anything (since it's a work day) but the rest of the day there's plenty, like my body says "oh it's not a weekday after all!" and ups production.

When he was smaller, my body was a little slower on the uptake. I'd have very little milk throughout the day on saturdays, plenty on sunday, and then monday I'd be engorged and leaking at work, but by thursday it'd be under control again- only to greet the weekend nursing frenzy again and start the cycle over again.

My let-down sensation is weaker now, although I know he's getting lots of milk. I don't leak between feedings. In fact, we are into such a routine that I don't even leak from the other side while he nurses the first side, even at school where there's a ton of milk letting down. It does change over time. As long as baby is healthy, I wouldn't worry!

User Tag List