LOTS of blood in my milk!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-27-2005, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for some quick advice. It's Friday evening of a holiday weekend and I don't know who to call...
I was just nursing my 16mo. ds and as he looked up at me, I realized that he had TONS of blood in his mouth. I was freaked out. I realized that it was coming from MY NIPPLE! He had so much blood in his mouth that he looked like HE was hurt. I went to the sink and squeezed my breast and just blood was coming out. I squeezed again and some milk came out, followed by more blood. It doesn't hurt at all, although that nipple's been sore with thrush symptoms. What's up???
I should say that a 1 1/2 months ago I had a lymph node removed on the outer most portion of that breast...it was more in my armpit than in my breast. Turned out to be nothing but an enlarged lymph node.
Anybody know what could be going on???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-27-2005, 08:51 PM

Hi,
Do you have a family doctor or primary care physician you could call? I know that even when my doctor's office closes down, there's someone on call. Or perhaps your child's pediatrician (our ped has a nurse practitioner who is also a lactation consultant).
I would call someone. I don't think it's an emergency, but just to see what's going on. Maybe a LLL?
#3 of 4 Old 05-27-2005, 11:07 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Don't panic! This sounds alot like what the IBCLC called rusty pipes syndrom, I'm not sure what the technical name for it is, but that is what they called it. I had this occasionally with ds2 and 3. They weren't sure why it happened, but only that on occasion it did in some women. I would have it checked out by an IBCLC and see what they think. I wouldn't suggest a family doc or pediatrician, unless they were well trained in lactation consulting. A lot of time, if docs aren't certified, they're first advice is to stop nursing. Definately call LLL or the local hospital may have an IBCLC on staff that you could speak to.

#4 of 4 Old 05-28-2005, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I think I will call LLL. I called my midwife's office and got the on-call mid-wife...not my usual midwife. She said if it's still bleeding tomorrow that they'll want to see me on Tuesday. I think LLL will have more practical advice than what the docs/midwives might have.
If anyone else has any past experience with something like this, I'd love to hear from you.
Thanks again!
Ann

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page