weened toddler starting to nurse again after new baby is born? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-09-2005, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my son is 2 1/2 and he weened himself a few months ago after about a month of no milk and it hurting me like crazy (im 4 months pregnant now.. so i would have been 2 months along then)

i guess im just wondering how common it is for a weend kiddo to want to nurse when there is milk again..

i had intentions of nursing through and tendem nursing, but it just hasnt happened that way. he is still very interested in my breasts.. he reaches down my shirt and wants to snuggle up to them. if i have my shirt off or we are in the bath he talks about my "boobs" and once in a while he asks to nurse if he is really sad or hurt and i do nurse him but it doesnt usually last more than a minute

i feel like i would be fine with him nuirsing again once i have milk but i also wouldnt want it to be all the time..

anyone have experience with this?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#2 of 3 Old 06-18-2005, 05:19 AM

I myself, as a child, started nursing again after my little brother was born when I was 2. My mom had actually weaned me (never asked why and she's not around to ask anymore) beforehand, but once he was born, I became a little lawyer, convincing her that there were two of us and two sip-sips...she couldn't refuse.

You might not like to hear this, but I ended up nursing until I was 4, when that little stinker of a brother self-weaned at 2. Still annoyed at him for that!
#3 of 3 Old 06-18-2005, 11:32 AM

I think you will just have to go with the flow on this one. There are so many possibilities:

DS will never ask to nurse again after the baby is born.
DS will ask and not be able to latch.
DS will ask and be able to latch but decide he doesn't want to anymore.
DS will ask, be able to latch and wean shortly after.
DS will ask, be able to latch and want to nurse constantly.
DS will ask, be able to latch and nurse occasionally for quite a while longer.
and so on...

You can always be open to the idea of him nursing and just wait and see. You could also let him try to nurse *now* and see if it still causes pain/if he is actually still interested/etc...

Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page