What does your nursling call your boobs? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And who came up with the name, them or you? I'm still breastfeeding my 12-month-old (against dh's explicit wishes - whatever) and eventually ds will be able to call them by name, and I'm just wondering if I need to start a name or if he'll do it on his own. Stupid question, I know, but nobody ever tells you these kinds of things! Especially in my group of peers, I'm the only one who is/has breast-fed past 12 months (and only one of a handful who breast-fed at all!).

Single mom to 3 boys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 05:30 PM

My DS calls them nursies (he is no longer nursing but when he sees me pump he asks if I am pumping my nursies LOL...and he did call them nursies when he was still nursing). My DD doesn't talk yet but I am guessing she will refer to them the same.

Steph

Steph~~momma to Rhys 2002, Niamh 2004, Isla 2007 and Deirdre 2009
#3 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 05:58 PM

nak...

i referred to them as breasts and dd called them "nurse" anyway. i think b/c i'd ask "do you want/need to nurse?" Of course, she couldn't say "nurse" clearly so it came out something like "yoush." Later she added "milk" to the name...but she couldn't really pronounce that either. She said "auk." In the end what she actually pronounced was "yoush auk." To this day, she still says "yoush auk" even though she can pronounce both words fairly clearly now. :LOL

#4 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 07:19 PM

My 21 month old says nuhnuh. He started that on his own. My older son just said Mmmmmmmmm when he wanted to nurse. LOL! My mom says I called them nummies.
#5 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 08:20 PM

My Dd just turned two and though I try to refer to them as breasts she calls them "milkies." Sometimes she will also ask "nurse" but usually just says milkies. Then "other side" and switches. :LOL She also calls them milkies when she's in the tub. She picked it up because I'd ask her if she wanted some milkies.

If you want your DD to use a specific code word, I'd start using it all the time. Another option is to use the American Sign Language sign for milk whenever you nurse and she can give you the signal without saying anything out loud.

BTW, sometimes my DD will just thump on my chest or act like she's going to latch onto my nipple while I still have my shirt and bra covering them. She never did let me cover while nursing so luckily I am not shy. Some kids just won't allow a mama to be discreet.

Congratulations on your first 12 months of BF'ing! And good luck with your extended breastfeeding, especially since it sounds like your DH is unsupportive and your friends may not be "into it."

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.
#6 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 08:25 PM

My ds (14 mo.) calls them "boobies." I always ask him if he wants boobie juice and when he pokes me in the boob, I tell him that's a boobie. He usually just does his nursing sign, but has recently started saying "boobie" more.
#7 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 10:18 PM

Mine are now known as "somethings" since we used to refer to nursing time as "time for a little something".

A little bit grasshopper a little bit ant   energy.gifom.gif

#8 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 10:32 PM

She usually calls them nummies or nursies, although the other day she came up with "numsters" (seeing the bras in the mall, she talked for quite some time about how those were for holding up the numsters, followed by a short song about them :LOL ).
#9 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 10:35 PM

na-nee. he came up with it on his own.

mostly WAHM, sometimes WOHM to my : two boys.
#10 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 10:37 PM

Nursies and I really think it's his favorite word because I hear it allllllllllllllll day long! :LOL

It's the first word out of his mouth when he wakes up, the last before he goes to sleep and is always accompanied by a big smile

Great for nature studies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Air Kids - Handmade wooden art boxes for Budding Artists.
#11 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 10:46 PM

Nookie - it's a combination of milkie and nursie.
#12 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 10:49 PM

These names are all so cute and funny! :LOL

my youngest calls them googas- I don't know why, byt hey I know what he means. My oldest would say, "mommy I love that milk from your breasts, it tastes so good" That used to shock a lot of people. :LOL
#13 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 11:03 PM

Thomas calls it nuk (sounds like book). He came up with it all on his own. Now he'll hold a sippy od chocolate milk in one hand and point to me with the other, saying, "Nuk. Chocolate Nuk. Mama nuk. Chocolate nuk." As if introducing two old friends for the first time
#14 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 11:04 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Julian calls them boobs. He used to scream "boob!" when he wanted to nurse, but now he says "I want to nurse!" but he calls them boobs still (he likes to pull my shirt waaay up and go "BIIIIIG boob!" I think boob was easier and cute when he was a young toddler, but when he got older and I got tired of it, it only took a few minutes to get him to switch over to asking to nurse.
#15 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 11:17 PM

Nursies here. I called them boobs the other day and he said "Boob???? No, those NURSIES."
#16 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 11:23 PM

Ds calls it "Dee".
#17 of 91 Old 06-23-2005, 11:40 PM

Ds has always called them nursies.

Hottmama - : When he wanted full exposure, he'd tell me "I need da BIG nuhsie!" That's pretty much when we stopped NIP!

I was just thinking today about his transition from nuhsie to nurrrrrrrsie. We live in Kentucky, so the toddler twang was too funny. "Mommy, I need to nahrrrrrrse!"
#18 of 91 Old 06-24-2005, 05:15 AM

William calls them ki-ki. He got it from my dh calling them chichi's. Now we all call them ki-ki's and my milk ki-ki milk.

Misty, mama to my nurslings William(11/4/02) and Parker(7/13/04).
#19 of 91 Old 06-24-2005, 05:26 AM
Banned

my dd calls them boobies (which is what dh and I call them) and she drinks "nigh" from them as in "night night dd" which is what I always told her when she nursed to sleep.
#20 of 91 Old 06-24-2005, 12:50 PM

I've called them milk or milkies from the start. I didn't want to be in the scenario where she yells out, "I want boobies!(or fill in other breast slang)" I figured, "I want milkies!", wouldn't be a bad thing. If we were in a restaurant, no one would automatically think my toddler was screaming for my breasts. She has yet to really scream it in public, though. She has gotten pretty aggressive w/ my shirt whilst begging for milkies in front of others.
#21 of 91 Old 06-24-2005, 01:29 PM

My kids call my breasts - breasts and my nipples - nipples. They ask to nurse ("Mama, may I please nurse?" "I need to nurse!!!", etc. ).

I'm currently tandem nursing my 3 year old and my (almost) 5 year old (and am 28 weeks pregnant!).

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#22 of 91 Old 06-24-2005, 07:19 PM

My 4 yo (no longer nursing) still calls them "sues" and the milk is also "sue". So I always say that when I'm "su-ing" the 15mo; he on the other hand has a different idea-- he yells "MA!!!" at the top of his lungs if he wants to "sue". It's very strange to me that even after more than a year of hearing "sue" everytime he eats, he has a different word for it. I guess I just assumed that he would pick up on the "sue" thing, but I guess not.

Funny story related to dd's wording for nursing. She was the supreme nurser, used it for everything, including quite a bit of quick comfort nursing. One holiday party that we went to, she was about 20 months or so, she ran into a corner of a table or sometihng. I was talking to the host's dd. My dd came over, crying and asking to sue. The host's dd looked at me in shock and said, "did she just say she wants to sue us?" I laughed and explained that she just wanted to nurse, she wasn't really already a lawyer.

R~mama to 3

#23 of 91 Old 06-24-2005, 07:24 PM

I was just talking about this today..:LOL

I'm currently nursing my 2 yr old and when she wants to nurse she says "boobies please". She also has specific names for each breast. My right one is "big one" and my left one is "other one". :
#24 of 91 Old 06-24-2005, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momto2boysNagirl
She also has specific names for each breast. My right one is "big one" and my left one is "other one". :
My DD does this, too. She named mine "Big One" and "Other Side." I think it's totally hysterical. One time when my mom was babysitting her, she told my mom, "My mama gave me num-nums." Mom-ma said, "She did?" Marlena said, "Yeth (yes). She gave me a Big One, and it was soooooo good!" Mom was laughing hysterically telling me about it.

And we've called them num-nums from day one. Something I read, maybe Dr. Sears, recommended a "code word" for nursing in case you didn't want a toddler hollering it in public.

Cute thread!
Nichole

Nichole
#25 of 91 Old 06-24-2005, 09:36 PM

:LOL

I have "Haley's side" and "Zachary's side". Neither will nurse from the "other's breast". Luckily they're both willing to share with the new baby in September!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#26 of 91 Old 06-24-2005, 11:02 PM

Nookie - that's what DH and I call sex! I started calling them num-nums, or nummies, when he was really young. Interestingly, DS calls me both Mama and NeNe - which I think is a combination of Mama and num num

There's a whole list on KellyMom of names that folks have used - I'd suggest using one and he'll probably modify it and come up with his own.
#27 of 91 Old 06-24-2005, 11:07 PM

My ds (27 months... cover your husbands' eyes! :LOL ) calls them "susu's" (suesues).
#28 of 91 Old 06-24-2005, 11:50 PM

From day one we have called it "nee-nee" because that's what my sister and her kids say (we spend a lot of time together). However, now that dd is 1 year old and starting to talk a little, she never says "nee-nee" or tries to say it, but invariably says "ish, ish" whenever she starts to pull on my shirt. I am amused that even though we gave her a baby word for it, she came up with her own.
#29 of 91 Old 06-25-2005, 12:06 AM

:LOL at the baby threatening to sue!

My dd says nursies, too. As in "Those your nursies mama?" when she sees me naked. And I swear she just figured out there's 2 all the time. We were taking a shower and she kept laughing and pointing and saying "those your 2 nursies mama!" Before that, I think she only thought about the side she was currently nursing on.
I taught her the sign for milk to ask for nursing, but I made the mistake of always saying "Oh you want to nurse!?" when she did the sign. She very quickly started to shout "Nurse!" along with the sign, and it wasn't long before she came up with nursie. I don't really mind, except that I'm about the only person in my town nursing a 2 year old, and we NIP a fair amount still because we are out so much at my older kids' activities and I would rather not have the whole world staring at me! Too bad she didn't come up with a more neutral word. Of course, we never say "sue" in my house given my line of work!
#30 of 91 Old 06-25-2005, 01:21 AM

Maia calls them Milkies "Those your milkies?" " I see your milkies please?" " I hold your milkies please?" "See my milkies momma?" "Baby Sage not want my milkies momma, my milkies too small for her." (this said as I walk into the living room to find Maia pinching and pulling her nipples trying to gather enough to force into baby sister's mouth) "Mimi, baby not want a bottle, baby want milkies"

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page