My toddler is making me crazy (and making me hate nursing).... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-13-2005, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a VERY high-needs toddler (she was a very high-needs baby as well!!). She goes through occasional brief periods of being easier, but is generally a really, really tough cookie.

She's 20-months, barely eats any solids, and still nurses 10-15 (or more) times a day. We co-sleep and she also nurses several times at night. What makes me the most crazy is that she's SO happy when I'm not around -- she laughs, plays, even eats a bit! But as soon as she sees me she starts crying, whining, and asking to nurse --- even if it's been 5 minutes since she last nursed and I only left to go to the bathroom. I hate that she's so happy and willing to play with other people and saves all her misery for me!!

She's also very jealous of any attention I give to her older brother -- as soon as he climbs into my lap she starts screaming, crying, and trying to push him off. She does the same thing when my DH comes near me.

I don't understand -- I've always been home with her, I've never left her for any length of time, we co-sleep, nurse on demand, the whole nine-yards. I'm starting to get really angry and resentful of her and I feel like she's totally in charge of my life right now. I'm also just hating nursing her -- and I feel awful for feeling this way!

edited to add: I've tried distraction, getting out, being a 'moving target', etc. nothing works -- all she ever wants to do when she sees me is nurse and all she does is scream/cry until i nurse her. Wait 5 minutes, lather, rinse, repeat!!

Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated!
#2 of 3 Old 07-14-2005, 11:18 PM
HB2

Ummm...that's because she IS controlling your life. I know, I have one too. I have 18 month old g/g twins and one is high need, the other is calm as can be. we just went through a period where she wanted to nurse all day long and constantly be held. She also has screaming rages when she gets frustrated about something (peas instead of carrots etc.). She even gets mad if she wakes during the night! She's been this way since birth so I know it has to do with her personality, but I'll be so glad when she can talk. :LOL

I've found it helpful to read and reread Dr. Sears' high need baby articles if for no other reason than to remind me of what I have--a high need baby--and know I'm not alone.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T050100.asp

HTH
#3 of 3 Old 07-16-2005, 03:55 PM

i have no good words of wisdom, or helpful advice, but i wanted to send a hug. it sounds like you need it.

maybe you could try to take some time for yourself. lock yourself in the bathroom and take a loooong bath and read a book. i don't know...whatever helps you relax. i know that i'm a calmer more relaxed and easygoing mother when i've had time to myself, or with good friends.

take care of yourself too!

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page