exclusive breastfeeding for the first year?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 07-24-2005, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm travelling to india with my 7 month old and I would feel a lot safer if he's only on breast milk. I've read a few articles on exclusive breastfeeding for the first year but I don't know anyone who's actually done it.

does anyone have any experience with this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 07-24-2005, 02:01 AM

Depending on the babe it probably would be pretty easy. My dd is 11 months and most days would not miss the few bites of solids she eats.

-Angela
#3 of 16 Old 07-24-2005, 02:03 AM

I exclusively bf my first for a year. There are other mamas here who introduced solids late. It worked for us- you also skip the messy baby food.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#4 of 16 Old 07-24-2005, 02:35 AM

ds had hardly any solids in his first year. he reacted badly to baby cereal, so we didn't try anythign else for months, and and after that what little he had was a bite off our plates here and there. he was huge and hit all his milestones early, so it obviously didn't hurt him.
#5 of 16 Old 07-24-2005, 02:40 AM - Thread Starter

#6 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 01:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
DD had very little solid food before 1.5 years, she certainly wouldn't of missed it at 7 months. If he eats solids now, just expect him to bf more.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 03:08 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna
Depending on the babe it probably would be pretty easy. My dd is 11 months and most days would not miss the few bites of solids she eats.

-Angela
I agree. My booby bandito turns 11 months in a few days and there are still times he goes an entire day on nothing but my milk.

A friend of mine exclusively nursed her son until 18 mos. because of health problems. He's four now so it can definitely be done. I think the most important thing is making sure you get a properly balanced diet. Maybe seeing a breastfeeding friendly nutritionist or dietician?

~Nay "The Intactavist Doula!" :
My booby bandito!:2bfbabe: :
I love my super supportive DH :

Reneé, 34 year old mom to Antonin 8/04 and Arianna 9/06  (6 weeks) 5/08. Married to Matt since 6/03 .  
#8 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 12:43 PM

My DS is seven months old and while he has taste-tasted more foods than you could imagine, most days he is exclusively BFed. I wouldn't have it any other way and if he hadn't been soooo gungho about food, I wouldn't have even introduced it yet.

I think you should have no problems at all. If you've been giving many solids, you may want to back off slowly and increase your milk supply to meet his increasing BMilk needs.

My babe is a total breastfeeding nut and is constantly nursing a little here and a little there. I have no doubt you can do it.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#9 of 16 Old 07-25-2005, 03:51 PM

My DS ate NOTHING, not even tasted anything, until he was 15 months old.

He's none the worse for the wear, and actually, I think he's better off!

Good luck!
#10 of 16 Old 07-26-2005, 12:09 AM

I've heard of many women exclusively breast feeding for over a year. Like it was mentioned, keeping a good nutritious diet for yourself would be key. But you also mentioned you would be traveling, and I was wondering about the possible change in your diet and if that would affect your babe. Something to consider I guess...
#11 of 16 Old 07-26-2005, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I think a lot depends on the baby. Nutritionally, breastmilk can provide everything a baby needs, but not all babies will be satisfied with that- many grab food off their parents' plates, or get too distracted by the world to nurse well, etc.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#12 of 16 Old 07-26-2005, 02:55 PM

We did it! Dd didn't eat any solid food until about a month ago - before that she would lick or taste something, but then spit it out pretty sharpish - so we figure that she was getting all of her nutritional needs met via the boobies! (at one year she weighed 24 pounds, if that's any indication!)
#13 of 16 Old 07-27-2005, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice and sharing your experiences
I'm going to give it a try! Dawa is already really big for his age so I know he's doing well on just breast milk
#14 of 16 Old 07-29-2005, 05:02 PM

My ds would have bites here and there starting at 7 months but I didn't really "introduce" solids until around 10 months & even then it wasn't 3 times a day. At 7 months old, I wouldn't see a problem with it. Can you bring some organic jar food with you just in case? (I don't know the rules of travel)
#15 of 16 Old 07-30-2005, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hi ... i agree that the child may not need the solids and thrive on the breastmilk.
since you mentioned india though, i just wanted to suggest that in case you did want / need some solids at any point, you can get very good sprouted ragi (millet) flour and make it with boiled water, that will be fine for a baby. also, if you are planning to let your baby drink water in india, be sure that it has boiled for 20 minutes. boiled water is better than bottled water. bottled water is about equal to the 'filtered' water that you can get in upper-middle class homes (Aqua Guard, Eureka, etc).

If you are making the ragi with the boiled water, you need to let the water cool completely before mixing in the ragi.

Other stuff you might consider letting baby have are bananas. I don't know how old he will be by the end of the trip or how much he might go after other people's food (by age 8 or 9 months my dd would certainly demand food) .. . if you want other suggestions of appropriate baby food in india i would be happy to list some. we were there when my dd was 4-10 months old. she started solids in her 7th month, and though she didn't need them *every* day, she did expect to have some most days.

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
#16 of 16 Old 07-30-2005, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I agree w/ pp that it depends on baby. My first refused all solids until 15 months. She was a chunk at 25 lbs at 5 months. She was fine, but my second one is much more petite (only 18 lbs at 5 months), but she is grabbing for food all the time. She nurses and then wants solids. I know I'm capapble of feeding a baby w/out solids, but this one wants them.
I understand about not wanting to eat food where the water is different etc. Just in case, maybe you could just feed your baby bananas or avocados (something w/ a peel is supposed to be safest)? Or some cheerios?

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page