Mothering Forum banner

Suck, suck, suck, suck, suck, suck....but no swallow

805 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Plummeting 
#1 ·
We've been breastfeeding for 15 months now - dd barely even eats any solids. Today, I noticed she was sucking differently, so I started paying attention. All of the sudden, I'm not having a letdown. I mean, she sucks and sucks and sucks and sucks and sucks and....nothing. If I try to express milk, I can get a little out - a few squirts. I've not been able to pump a decent amount since she was 6 months old though. Tonight, she kept fussing and getting up while trying to nurse to sleep and I believe it was because she was doing so much work and getting no milk. When she finally did fall asleep, she literally nursed for almost 10 minutes before I finally had a letdown. It lasted for all of about 6 swallows, then it was over. I switched her to the other side and she nursed for another 6 or 7 minutes before I had another letdown that lasted exactly 4 swallows.

I tried to relax because I know being uptight will inhibit letdown, but it certainly wasn't easy! I've been crying and I just don't know what to think. I've been under a lot of stress lately and on antibiotics (just penicillin) after having wisdom teeth removed. My husband isn't supportive of nursing at this point, so he'd be glad if my milk just dried up. I was too busy today to drink anything but about 8 ounces of water and a little coffee (which I don't even like, but I was soooo tired this morning) and I imagine the caffeine negated drinking the water, so maybe I'm just dehydrated? I just downed 2 bottles of water and I have some Mother's Milk brewing and some oatmeal in the microwave. I'm so, so, so sad. Do you think it's just dehydration or something? I can't believe this is happening to me - I've always had *so much* milk!

Okay, so it's the next day and I'm still having the same problem. I got hydrated, drank 3 glasses of MM tea and ate two bowls of oatmeal. No change. I couldn't even sleep last night because every time she wanted to nurse I woke up all the way because I was wondering if she was actually getting anything. Mostly she would suck for 10 minutes before getting a letdown that usually lasted only a few swallows. I've been wondering if maybe AF is going to start again and that's the problem, but I have no symptoms besides sudden decrease in milk supply. I'm committed to continue nursing and will do anything! How long would you wait before ordering Domperidone or something, considering that it does take 2 weeks to get in? I'm sure it's nothing major, but I don't want to wait too long to try to fix it if it is...

See less See more
#4 ·
Just relax, deep breathe.

Is she making wet diapers?

I thought I was having the same trouble. My son is 11 months, third child. I started on some fenugreek just in case, but I think it was me not paying attention.

After so many nursing sessions, they all blur together. He speeds by, nurses, and off again. Did I even notice? Perhaps, there is no problem.

By 15 months, she is able tel tell you if she isn't getting what she wants. Perhaps she just wanted to suck.

Thanks for bringing this up. I look forward to reading others advice on this topic.

Sue

#5 ·
Actually, I was having a supply issue at the time. I'm positive it was related to ovulation. I haven't started a period yet, but I just had a tiny bit of spotting and have had terrible cramping since then. I was able to solve the problem by taking calcium/magnesium supplements.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.