Mothering Forum banner

BF and treatment for tuberculosis

598 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ruthla 
#1 ·
I was exposed to an active TB patient at work last week (post made in health and healing forum here but with no responses yet). My big concern is regarding breastfeeding and any kind of TB treatment I would have to take should I turn up TB +. I will have to get a TB test in about 4-8 weeks, and if it is + then I have 9-12 mo of NASTY medications to look forward to (INH, rifampin, and something else)...that is assuming it isnt a multiple-drug resistant TB.

Any insight, mamas? I don't have a copy of the Medications and Mother's Milk book to look things up.

See less See more
#2 ·
Try this website:

http://neonatal.ttuhsc.edu/lact/html...ns_forums.html

Dr. Hale has a message board there. Only health professionals can post, but anyone can read the boards, so you may be able to find the medications you will need by searching his board. I think if you try taking megadoses of vitamin C, along with zinc and selenium, that might prevent you from getting TB, so I would start that right away. I'm sorry this is happening to you and I hope you get a negative! Good luck!

#3 ·

Since you've got a few weeks until they might put you on meds, I suggest doing everything you can to boost your immunity right now.

Raw Garlic is a potent antiviral, antifungal, and antibiotic. Load up on Vitamin C. Echinachea also helps boost immunity and is recomended for the early stages of an illness. I imagine it would also boost your immunity against a recently introduced pathogen and help prevent a full-blown infection from taking hold. Echinachea needs to be taken one week on, one week off, the others can be taken all the time.

Going to a chiropractor (if your'e not seeing one already) can also help boost the immune system.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.