Is This An Insane Idea (or even a safe one?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-20-2005, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're ttc#2. Ds #1 had ABO blood-type incompatibility jaundice so there is a fairly good chance that dc#2 will also have it. This made ds#1 incredibly sleepy and basically refuse to latch on for the first week of his life. Because of the bili-lights (ds#1 was really sick), he was also getting dehydrated and my pumped colostrum was not enough to either get rid of the poop (how you get rid of the bili-rubin) or keep him hydrated so we had to supplement for a couple of days (it took my milk 6 days to come in). I'd really really really like to avoid that with the next baby.

So, I was thinking of dusting off the breast pump to see if I could get a few ounces of breastmilk (ds#1 still nurses about a thousand times a day, so I'm not terribly worried about supply issues :LOL) pumped and then freeze it in my deep freeze (stand-alone) freezer. Obviously I'd date the milk, but would it still be ok to feed a newborn in say 9-10 months?

I should note that I plan to bf ds#1 as long as he desires, including through a pregnancy and beyond so I know if he's still nursing when dc#2 comes along he'll be a great help in getting my milk to come in earlier and may make this whole post moot. But there are no guarantees, so I'm trying to prepare for his weaning during the pregnancy.

Tell me I'm crazy if applicable. :LOL
#2 of 7 Old 09-20-2005, 08:20 PM

Both my children had jaundice. I'm Rh negative too, and both girls are Rh positive. DD1 never had to be supplemented. She nursed and then went back to the bili blanket. She wasn't diagnosed as jaundiced until we came home from the hospital. DD2 was clearly jaundiced in the hospital. She was under the bili lights and would have nursed all day if she could have, but needed to be under those lights so she could go home. She needed to suck, so she had a pacificer. (She spit it out at 4 months.) The doctor suggested giving a couple of bottles to push out the bilirubin in the poop. It worked. However, I nursed first, and then my husband gave the bottle. It was unsettling to give the formula, but it worked, and she went home with me on day three. She is 23 months old and still nursing. I'm a believer in CLWing. As far as pumping ahead of time, I think it sounds like a proactive thing to do. I'd doublecheck with your pedi. He/she may be supportive. You never know until you ask!! LOL I often see a pedi who is just fascinated with my children and me because we were the first people he saw using cloth diapers. I had to show them how they work! (we used pins and prefolds) Also, he is fascinated by the fact that I'm still nursing and nursed dd1 until age 3 1/2. He thought it was very cool even though his own wife weaned to a bottle. He's been very supportive that way. Anyway, the upshot is: go for it. I don't think you're crazy.
#3 of 7 Old 09-21-2005, 12:25 AM

I think it's a great idea! I would absolutely, 100% try to feed my baby my own pumped, stored breastmilk before I would give formula. I have never built up a freezer stash so I'm not sure, but I *think* that you can store bm for up to a year in a deep freeze. And depending on when/if you lose your milk during pregnancy, you could keep pumping throughout and have some "younger" milk when dc#2 is born.

If your ped doesn't like the idea... I think I would not care one bit. In fact I would probably find a new ped! I have heard of way too many who recommended formula over breastmilk- they just don't understand the ramifications of using formula, even once.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

#4 of 7 Old 09-22-2005, 03:45 AM

Yup, frozen milk is good for 1 year in a deep freezer. Just having a few ounces on hand would be enough if that situation happens a second time.

Mama to DD (5) DD (3) and DS (2 months)
#5 of 7 Old 09-22-2005, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry's_Mamma
We're ttc#2. Ds #1 had ABO blood-type incompatibility jaundice so there is a fairly good chance that dc#2 will also have it. This made ds#1 incredibly sleepy and basically refuse to latch on for the first week of his life. Because of the bili-lights (ds#1 was really sick), he was also getting dehydrated and my pumped colostrum was not enough to either get rid of the poop (how you get rid of the bili-rubin) or keep him hydrated so we had to supplement for a couple of days (it took my milk 6 days to come in). I'd really really really like to avoid that with the next baby.

So, I was thinking of dusting off the breast pump to see if I could get a few ounces of breastmilk (ds#1 still nurses about a thousand times a day, so I'm not terribly worried about supply issues :LOL) pumped and then freeze it in my deep freeze (stand-alone) freezer. Obviously I'd date the milk, but would it still be ok to feed a newborn in say 9-10 months?

I should note that I plan to bf ds#1 as long as he desires, including through a pregnancy and beyond so I know if he's still nursing when dc#2 comes along he'll be a great help in getting my milk to come in earlier and may make this whole post moot. But there are no guarantees, so I'm trying to prepare for his weaning during the pregnancy.

Tell me I'm crazy if applicable. :LOL

Wow!! Sounds almost exact with what happened with my first. The dr had mentioned part of the reason for the jaundice was b/c of blood difference. (I'm O and dd was A). Anyway, second child had no jaundice issues... she was type O, though.
#6 of 7 Old 10-02-2005, 12:07 AM

But doesnt the milk change for the age of the baby? So would the milk you have now be ok for a newborn?
#7 of 7 Old 10-02-2005, 11:40 AM

It would be a lot better than formula, no matter what. That's all the OP wants to use it for- instead of formula if her next baby is severely jaundiced, like her first.

~*Kristi*~
Tallulah Dare 8-01,  Marcos Gael 12-04, Cormac Mateo 9-09, Leonidas Ronan 11-11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page