How much milk does a 1 year old need? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
Ds will be one next month and still nursing like a champ. Aside from a series of plugged ducts for a while, we have had a successful breastfeeding experience
My milk supply isn't what it used to be though. I am wondering how much milk a one year old on solids needs, I am starting to worry that I am not producing enough. When I pump now, I get at most 2-3 ounces and that's in the morning. I work sporadically, when I am home we nurse whenever, wherever. But if I WOH when a project comes up, how much milk should I be leaving behind for ds to give him? I am beginning to wonder if I will have to mix with cow's milk. I guess I am worried because I know how imperative the fat is for a soon to be toddler. His iron is also a little low.
So does anybody have a ballpark on how many ounces he should be getting? I go to a pretty mainstream nursing group, don't think I've seen a child over one year there yet.
Thanks!
#2 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 02:19 PM

First, remember that pumping is not a *great* indicator of how much milk you are producing. Even if you have pumped large amounts in the past, that can change as baby ages.

That said, a common recommendation is 16 oz of (non species specific) milk for kids over 12 months. Since bmilk is considered to be a 1:1 replacement, the average 1 year old would need around 16 ounces.

(Note: Bmilk is much better for kids than any other, so while it may not be healthy for a 13 month old to be drinking 32+ ounces of cow milk a day, that can be perfectly healthy for a bfed baby).

According to Kellymom:

Quote:
Sometime between six months and a year (as solids are introduced and slowly increased) baby's milk intake may begin to decrease, but breastmilk should provide the majority of baby's nutrition through the first year. Because of the great variability in the amount of solids that babies take during the second six months, the amount of milk will vary, too. One study found average breastmilk intake to be 30 oz per day (875 ml/day; 93% of total intake) at 7 months and 19 oz (550 ml/day; 50% of total energy intake) at 11-16 months.

Several studies have measured breastmilk intake for babies between 12 and 24 months and found typical amounts to be 14-19 oz per day (400-550 mL per day). Studies looking at breastmilk intake between 24 and 36 months have found typical amounts to be 10-12 oz per day (300-360 mL per day).
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

Most people find that they can leave their toddlers for several hours during the day and not have to do anything to "catch up" their milk intake (they can just drink water and eat solids while mom is gone and can still get the amount of bmilk they need in the other 16-20 hours of the day/night).

HTH

#3 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 03:08 PM

Can I jump in and ask a similar question?

My dd just turned 12 months. She nurses 3-4 times a day...

I never feel a let down anymore...she fusses and switches from side to side- which she has never done before. This has been going on a couple of weeks.

Before, she would drain one side, then the other. Now she takes from one side, fusses, takes from the other, fusses, etc. until finally she seems content.

She used to drain both sides in 10 minutes and be perfectly content. Now it can take 15-20 minutes and she doesn't seem "full."

Should I be worried or is this normal?
#4 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 03:10 PM

One more question:

when/how would you know if you needed to supplement with cows' milk? Supplementing just ends up making your milk supply continue to decrease, right?

Ok..that was 2...
#5 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 05:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would try this. Try just nursing off of one side per session (or per each hour...my first nursed every 20 min or so, so we'd nurse for one hour per side and switch off). She might object at first just 'cause she's not used to it, but she'll get as much milk as she needs as long as she's nursing. Yes, supplementing diminishes your milk supply. Some people lose their let down sensation early on, some later, some never lose it...some lose it at different times with different nurselings. With my first, I lost the let-down sensation at about eight and a half months, with my second, at about eighteen months. It DOES NOT mean that you are no longer producing milk, just that you don't FEEL the milk letting down as STRONGLY as you used to. Could be that babe is such an efficient sucker that you don't need such a strong reflex any more! Regardless. Just because you don't feel it doesn't mean AT ALL that you are not producing enough milk. Don't worry about that. Is your baby active? She might just be restless, want to nurse, but wants to be busy, too. My DS is a perpetual motion machine while he's nursing, and from the day he could crawl, has NEVER been still while nursing. He likes to switch breasts just because it's a different vantage point, and tells me so. I'm pretty firm about the "one side per session" rule though. That is also a great way to prevent plugged ducts, by the way...you're sure you've completely drained the ducts if you nurse one side per session.

Mama to two awesome kids. Wife to a wonderful, attached, loving husband. I love my job-- I'm a Midwife, Doula and Childbirth Educator, Classes forming now!

#6 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 07:07 PM

I could never pump more than an ounce at a time. It isn't really a good gauge of your supply.

As to how much cow's milk a one year old needs, as long as he nurses well at least four times in a 24 hour period he doesn't need any at all. So if your ds will nurse four times during the days you will WOH, he can have other nonmilk beverages while you are gone if he is thirsty.

And it may reassure you to know that as your babe gets older, the fat content of your milk increases, quite a bit:

http://www.forbes.com/lifestyle/heal...out527765.html
#7 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks you for the replies. I need to have faith in my milk! Just because it doesn't let down and shoot across the room anymore, doesn't mean it's not enough :LOL I really want to avoid cow's or goat's milk for as long as possible.

I was just chatting with a friend, and she had heard that some new recommendations are no cow's milk even at a year. Even if someone if ff'ing, they should stay on the formula. Interesting.
#8 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velcromom
As to how much cow's milk a one year old needs, as long as he nurses well at least four times in a 24 hour period he doesn't need any at all. So if your ds will nurse four times during the days you will WOH, he can have other nonmilk beverages while you are gone if he is thirsty.
Just wanted to clarify that I agree with the above comment 100%.

I assumed you wanted to know how many ounces of bmilk, so I worked from the initial assumption that it would be an ounce for ounce replacement of the alternative milk that a 1 year old "needs." In no way does a 1 year old who continues to nurse need *ANY* non species specific milk.

#9 of 9 Old 09-22-2005, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leomom
I never feel a let down anymore...she fusses and switches from side to side- which she has never done before. This has been going on a couple of weeks.

Before, she would drain one side, then the other. Now she takes from one side, fusses, takes from the other, fusses, etc. until finally she seems content.
After a certain age many women stop feeling a let down. I do *very* very rarely (as in some *months* I may feel one) but generally I don't. BUT, I know I have a healthy supply considering the age of my nursling and I know it has been high in the past even when I wasn't feeling a let down. This is generally not a reason for concern.

Quote:
She used to drain both sides in 10 minutes and be perfectly content. Now it can take 15-20 minutes and she doesn't seem "full."

Should I be worried or is this normal?
Honestly, I would be concerned. Some women can go for years and still produce milk on demand even though they nurse very rarely. Others (especially those with relatively younger nurslings, like your own) find that if they do not nurse fairly often their supply drops. Since your DD is only 12 months I would really encourage you to INCREASE the number of nursings DD recieved daily. At that age I would still encourage you to offer at least every two hours (if not night weaned) and more often if night weaned. If she says "no" that is fine. BUT a lot of kids that young don't really understand that they "can" ask, so go much further between nursings than their body would prefer.

Quote:
when/how would you know if you needed to supplement with cows' milk? Supplementing just ends up making your milk supply continue to decrease, right?
Yes, supplimenting will make your milk supply decrease. If you demand feed and have a normal supply (I am assuming you have had no major issues in the past to make you think you have physical supply issues) you will never *need* to replace bmilk with another milk (we, personally, do drink cow's milk in our family, but I know we do not *need* to--- no mammals *need* a milk supply once past their biological age of weaning (for humans 2.5-7).

I would really, once again, encourage you to increase DD's access to nursing and hope that that increases your supply. You would need to suppliment (or do something more drastic) if your daughter started showing signs of lethargy or malnutrition. Many children at this age hit a weight plateu, so that in and of itself should not be a concern, but if it is coupled with other indicators (poor skin tone, hair falling out, fingernails that don't grow, a head that stops growing, etc...) there may be a problem.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page