Do you still feel a letdown? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 09-25-2005, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With all of my dc, early on I have a very strong letdown sensation that is actually painful for the first few weeks. Then, I can still feel a pretty strong sensation whenever I let down for the baby or pump. With my older 3, I gradually stopped feeling any letdown at all shortly before they weaned entirely, and felt it was due to having so little milk. It always felt more uncomfortable to nurse when there wasn't much milk flowing, also.
My little dd is now almost 28 mos, and still nursing 4-6 times a day probably. For about the last month, I don't feel any letdown, except once in a great while if she hasn't nursed for a while. I know I don't make anywhere near the milk I was making a year ago, but I still hear her swallowing and see milk in her mouth when she unlatches. So what's the deal with the letdown sensation? Do you just always stop feeling it at some point, or does it mean anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 09-25-2005, 10:38 AM

It doesn't mean a thing. Some women never feel it, ever. Some always feel it. I sometimes, but very rarely, feel letdown. Baby #2 is getting close to two years old, but both girls are still nursing.
#3 of 16 Old 09-25-2005, 11:01 AM

I don't think it really means anything; just a peculiarity of our individual bodies. I have 23 month old nursing twins and I have never felt a "letdown", not even when they were infants.
#4 of 16 Old 09-25-2005, 11:21 AM

I only feel it when I start to leak now, when my 2 yr old skips a nursing session once in a while. I'm glad, I can usually catch the leakage before it gets on my shirt.
#5 of 16 Old 09-25-2005, 11:22 AM

I wasn't getting a letdown feeling any more (DS is 31months) but in the past few weeks, I've been getting a weird feeling - like an uncomfortable feeling - when I have a letdown (I know I do, because I can hear the increase in DS's swallowing).
#6 of 16 Old 09-25-2005, 12:52 PM

I don't feel it at all anymore. Ds (33 months) tells me there's plenty of milk though, and I hear him swallowing. It often used to really hurt when I had a letdown in the first year so I am very happy to be in this phase!
#7 of 16 Old 09-25-2005, 03:02 PM

I have NEVER felt letdown my entire nursing life :LOL not even the first few days of nursing. nothing, never. not even the slight sensation.

I know the milk was coming out cause of the gulping and at first the occasion upset DS because the milk was coming too fast.

Very weird cause my mom swore up and down it would hurt like h*ll the first few weeks because of letdown :LOL
#8 of 16 Old 09-25-2005, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Any idea why I would feel a strong letdown sensation for over 2 years, and then just have it stop? It just makes me a little paranoid for some reason.
#9 of 16 Old 09-25-2005, 04:56 PM

Will is 10 months old, and I still feel a letdown. I still leak on occasion too. I wonder if that will change as time goes on! He still nurses about every 2 hours.
#10 of 16 Old 09-25-2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjen
Any idea why I would feel a strong letdown sensation for over 2 years, and then just have it stop? It just makes me a little paranoid for some reason.

are you pregnant?!
#11 of 16 Old 09-25-2005, 10:40 PM

Quote:
are you pregnant?!
That was my first thought, too.

Mac is 17 months old and I still feel a letdown every time he nurses.
#12 of 16 Old 09-25-2005, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafl
are you pregnant?!
:LOL I wish, actually. We had a long standing argument about how many kids to have (I wanted a houseful, and he wanted more like a compact car full), and I finally finagled my 4th from dh, then he got snipped. So, not so much.

I can't really figure out anything that is changed. I started cycling again around 13 mos, so a long time ago. I run for exercise, but my regimen has been pretty stable for the last year.

Overall, I guess it doesn't matter. Dd seems quite content, she has a nice latch which is comfortable for me, and we'd keep nursing if she wanted too even if there was no milk. I just wonder where my letdown sensation went?
#13 of 16 Old 09-27-2005, 01:43 PM

I had a really strong, painful letdown for a long time. It gradually went away completely. Then a few months ago, I noticed I was getting a tightening/tingling sensation. Since I've been pregnant I haven't noticed it at all. For me, it is related to supply and how hard my DD sucks. When it went away, she was nursing much less and I was emptier all the time.

#14 of 16 Old 09-28-2005, 02:41 AM

I don't think it means anything, either. I have a very painful let down for the first few months and it slowly dwindles to nothing. I have not felt a let down since dd was around 6 months old (she is almost 16 months now). I do still leak from the breast that isn't being nursed on, though.

C- mama to K (8) and A (5.5) (8w5d) 10/08, new baby O-2.11.10
#15 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 04:20 PM

I never felt let down until DD was about 6 months old. She is now almost 19 months & I only feel it on the right side.
#16 of 16 Old 09-30-2005, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEEPAE
I have NEVER felt letdown my entire nursing life :LOL not even the first few days of nursing. nothing, never. not even the slight sensation.

I know the milk was coming out cause of the gulping and at first the occasion upset DS because the milk was coming too fast.

Very weird cause my mom swore up and down it would hurt like h*ll the first few weeks because of letdown :LOL

This is me too!! I have never ever felt letdown. And I also have never leaked while wearing a bra. If I don't wear a bra I will leak in the first 6 months, but after that...Im good to go. ( I still have to wear a bra with these DDs unfortunately!) I never even feel my milk come in for the first time when babes are born too. I was waiting for this engorgement to happen and it never happened. I was also waiting for this painful feeling FOREVER and it never has happened..oh well I guess.

My LC with ds told me that its probably because my body is just really good at maintaining milk supply. And dd is pure proof with almost ebf ing( has tastes of solids here and there) for 8 months and is over 22 pounds!!!

Heather , momma to ' Parker- 10, Carlee- 7 and our baby Genevieve Faith - 8-27-10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page