HELP! Toddler latch issues at night are making me nuts! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-23-2005, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's just so much to do and see and play with when you're a toddler. Too much to be bothered with a good latch. Or so it would seem if Gemma is anything to go by. During the day, it's not that much of a big deal -- I've started playing a game with her where we open our mouths as wide as we can and say "ahhhhhhhhh" in silly voices, and that works to get a good latch going. We have to repeat it about eight million times per nursing session, as she is constantly doing something else, latching off, then starting all over again, but it works, anyway.

The problem is at night. She's too sleepy when she wakes up to play the game, and so am I, really. She totally ignores me when I try to correct her latch at 2 a.m. and I either have to live with the pain or live with a grouchy, screaming kid because I tried to do something about it.

I am attempting to night-wean her, but we are going very slowly. (Just got a copy of NCSS for Toddlers and we've started with a new phrase when we stop nursing, as per the outline in the book, but we're not actually using it at night or attempting to place any restrictions on night nursing yet.) We'll see how that goes. In the meantime, though, I have my first nipple crack after nearly two years of problem-free (well, in that respect anyway) nursing and I am going NUTS with the pain. It wakes me up, as in it is so painful that I can't just nurse while half asleep and then go right back out -- I'm *awake* the minute DD starts nursing and often for quite some time after she stops. And since DD has never slept all that well anyway, I'm too sleep deprived to be dealing with yet another sleep issue. I'm so tired during the day that I can barely manage to hold onto my temper.

So, any ideas on what I could do to help with this problem until I do manage to night-wean DD? Please ... I'm desperate!

User Tag List