Does anyones EBF toddler actually sleep through the night? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-10-2005, 12:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son starting sleeping through when we night-weaned at 21 months. For him, it was a matter of getting those eye teeth in before he was ready to sleep (no longer in pain from teething). Since then, he has pretty much always slept through, although lately he likes to get up too early.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2005, 03:29 AM

My son is 15 months and still nurses 3-4 times a night. I don't see it stopping any time soon. He doesn't eat very many solids even though we offer them. I try to bulk up the nursing sessions during the day but it still doesn't matter at night.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:00 PM

This is a huge topic for me right now as I'm really, really struggling with the night nursing because of being pg and exhausted.

I have 4 children (with one on the way). I nursed all of them, but my 2nd child only 'wanted' to nurse about 7 months...and then she was just 'done'...I'm not sure I'll ever understand what happened. All of my boys nursed well into their toddler years. My daughter was my only child to sleep through the night comfortably/peacefully.....

I think ebf is a trade-off. We are providing the closeness/comfort at the expense sometimes of sleep. The majority of my friends who stop bfing at 1 year have children that sleep through the night almost instantly....Sometimes, yes, I've been jealous.

Right now, I'm horribly, awfully, desperate for an entire night's sleep!
Old 12-16-2005, 10:08 PM

As far as the co sleeping i have heard that babies smell mommy/milk, so that could explain why some of you noticed dc sleeping better with you out of the bed. We do co sleep and I have not nightweaned but as dd gets older she wakes up alot less. Most nights she sleeps around 7 hours and wakes up for a little sip . Sometimes i wake up, sometimes I don't and sometimes I'm not sure if she's really awake at all! She usually falls back asleep for a few hours.Ever since i started telling her that we sleep at night and wake up when it's bright and sunny she sleeps much longer. Maybe once or twice she's gone 12 hours and never woke up...
Old 12-17-2005, 12:34 AM

Well before a year of age my DS was sleeping through the night (from 9pm or so until 6am).

My DD, on the other hand, wakes about every 40 minutes throughout the night and has since birth.

Based just on my own personal experiences I'd say it has more to do with the individual babe than it has to do with extended breastfeeding. I co-slept with both kids and their eating patterns and nursing patterns were very similar.

One marked difference, though, is that my DD has food allergy issues (soy, dairy, egg) and my DS never had any allergies (other than seasonal pollen stuff).

--Kari
Old 12-17-2005, 01:02 AM

I think there are just so many factors that can affect night sleep, it is really hard to say...

some of the things that make my DD sleep worse:

-teething
-illness
-new situation/life adjustment
-too cold
-too hot
-too cramped (in our bed)

some things that help her sleep better:

-total darkness
-white noise
-comfortable temperature
-no pain
-emotional stability

She also sleeps totally differently in her crib vs. in bed with us. In the crib she sleeps on her tummy and doesn't move *at all* - when we cosleep she sleeps on her back, arms splayed out and does sleep gymnastics, lol

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

Old 12-20-2005, 02:20 AM

my 19 month old ds usually does. He started doing it by himself around 13 months. I think it is just luck. Getting him to sleep latley though has been another story!
Old 12-22-2005, 04:06 PM

At 22 months, Azure still wakes many many times to nurse but she does so quickly and efficiently and then unlatches and goes right back to sleep. Given how so many of my peers are having issues with SERIOUS night-waking (as in waking up and not going back to sleep for hours) I'm now considering her as an official, uh, sleep-through-the-nighter! YAY! Our problem is my sleep problems. If I didn't have sleep problems then I could sleep right through her nursing and we'd both be in fantastic shape!

ILANA
Old 12-22-2005, 04:44 PM

Yes, around 2 months DD started sleeping a 8 hour stretch and that has only increased with time. I was worried at the time, but her weight gain stayed on track, so... She sleeps 12-13 hours straight now (at 17 months). I didn't do anything to coax her like that. We don't co-sleep, not that I really think that has anything to do with her behavior.

User Tag List