Is there a 6 month growth spurt? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering. DS will by 6 months tomorrow. He has been sucking the life out of me all day...
#2 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 12:40 AM

I think that yes, generally speaking books will advise that 6 months is an average time for a growth spurt, but they can happen any time. My daughter had her 6-month one at 5 months!
#3 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

I sat in the car and fed him today before doing a little shopping, and then an hour later, when we were home, he was all at me again..(as in, digging his face into my shirt.)

He sleeps for an 30 mins, and then wakes up trying to eat anything nearing his face. Then he plays and tries to take his best stab at pulling up on hands and knees. (Never can quite get the back and the front up at the same time--yet.) Then he fusses for somemore. Then he sleeps.

I have noticed that during his growth spurts, he always just eats and sleeps eats and sleeps. Recently I realized that makes sense, because it takes lots of energy from your body to grow. I was sleepy all the time when I was pregnant with him, too. Growing makes us sleepy.

Just wish he would take a decent nap for longer than 20 minutes!

Oh well, I will relax and enjoy it while it lasts...

---hm. just noticed the cute chubs that are appearing on his knees and thighs!
#4 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 12:49 AM

My daughter would take her time nursing - and I mean 45 minutes!!! At the time I felt like I would never be able to get up out of that darn chair, but now I miss it. I am pg, and looking forward to nursing #2. Of course, with a 19-month old running around, it won't be as relaxing as the first time around!
#5 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabysmom617
Just wondering. DS will by 6 months tomorrow. He has been sucking the life out of me all day...
Of coarse not all babes are going to go through exactly the same thing at the same time, but generally speaking, YES! All my babies did and put me through just waht you are experiencing

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#6 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 03:29 PM

Absolutely, yes. (Though the timing can vary a bit from babe to babe).
#7 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 03:36 PM

DD is 6 1/2 months and has been eating and sleeping for the past couple of days. Not to hijack your thread, but her poops are changing too. She's still ebf, but it's getting thick.

Danielle, fabric artist, mama to Eleanor 5/05 and Charlotte James 09-26-09
#8 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 05:03 PM

YES!! pof course, different babies are different, but I know that 6 months-ish is one of the major growth spurts talked about in the LLL book........

CPST
#9 of 9 Old 12-17-2005, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

I can always tell when DS is going throw a growth spurt, because, he eats and eats and doesn't spit up afterwards.

He is very consistent about spitting up if he has had too much. If I am worrying that he hasn't had enough, and I coax him to eat a little more, (like when I think he hasn't eaten enough because we are out some where, and he is distracted--) his body is usually very consistent at expelling the overage, and he also does this when he is sick, and mainly just nursing for comfort, and then he spits up all the overage that his stomach can't handle.

But whenever he is nursing and nursing and nursing and nursing, (so on and so on) and he is keeping every drop of it down, then I know his body is starting to need all that extra, and then I realize it's a growth spurt.

I had nearly forgotten about the big 6 month growth spurt.

But today, he hasn't been doing it as much as yesterday, so I guess I'm making more now.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page