Remind me why I am not night-weaning? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 02-04-2006, 04:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am so tired and I just don't even want to go to bed anymore because it hurts my back so badly to fall asleep nursing, but I am so tired that I fall asleep anyway and then I am in a lot of pain every morning, and this has been going on for 15 months now...why should I not night-wean again? Someone talk me out of it please...

"MY best interest?...How can YOU say what MY best interest is?...When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities."-ST
#2 of 10 Old 02-04-2006, 01:42 PM

You should not nightwean because toddlers get SO busy during the day that they often don't want to nurse while the sun is up You should keep nursing at night so that if this happens your child won't lose nursing totally.

-Angela
#3 of 10 Old 02-04-2006, 03:16 PM

You shouldn't night wean because if you and your DC were ready you wouldn't be here asking us to talk you out of it!

Have you tried putting one of those pregnancy body pillows (like this http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...=glance)behind you for support? And depending how on well endowed you are you may even be able to lean back on it and not be completely on your side. My boobs are so big I can pretty much lay on my back and nurse Or you could ask your DP to lay in bed with you and have them lay back to back with you so you can use them for support!

Just some thoughts. Hope things get better for you soon mama!
#4 of 10 Old 02-04-2006, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alybeans
And depending how on well endowed you are you may even be able to lean back on it and not be completely on your side. My boobs are so big I can pretty much lay on my back and nurse
I thought I was the only "lazy nurser", as my dh calls me!

My dd is 21 months old and we spend 5 hours a day away from eachother and then we have a pretty active and stimulating afternoon. We don't get as much nursing in as we use to. She nurses A LOT at night!!!! When I say a lot...she was up probably every 2 hours last night! Whenever a day comes on that is a "I am going to night wean her. This is crazy. I am so exhausted and uncomfortable!" I remind myself that dd will night wean when she is ready. Knowing that I am taking care of my dd's health and emotional needs and wants helps me work through those frustrations, too

Best of luck

Beth, Mama to dd , wife to dh , teacher :~ Living, Loving, Learning...everyday.
#5 of 10 Old 02-04-2006, 05:39 PM

Personally, I don't think it's wise to night wean a toddler because it can be so traumatic on them. There are so few things that truly comfort a toddler, taking away something so important to them leaves you with an empty toolbox. Imagine nightweaning and suddenly having a crying baby who won't calm because they can't nurse. It's not like the nightwaking is really going to go away just because they're not nursing. It does for some, but not the majority of people I know who have nightweaned before their child was ready. So, now you have a wide awake baby that you can't nurse back to sleep, and wants to P-A-R-T-Y!

In my experience, whenever I've had those thoughts, it's at the peak of my exhaustion and frustration with the situation. Somehow, things seem to get bad, then worse, and finally unbearable and then like magic, they suddenly get better. Hang in there, it might be getting better really soon.
#6 of 10 Old 02-04-2006, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by water
I am so tired and I just don't even want to go to bed anymore because it hurts my back so badly to fall asleep nursing, but I am so tired that I fall asleep anyway and then I am in a lot of pain every morning, and this has been going on for 15 months now...why should I not night-wean again? Someone talk me out of it please...
I could have written your post. DS is 15 months and nurses all night. I go back and forth trying to decide if I should night wean. I'm soooo tired during the day, and many times I feel like I'd be a better mom if I would night wean.

But, I really, really, really don't want to. I love co-sleeping. I love the feeling of DS curled up close to me nursing in such comfort. It must be the best feeling in the world for him -- he must feel so loved and so safe. How could I take that from him?

Good luck Water.
#7 of 10 Old 02-07-2006, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks you guys, it is a little better today. I really don't want to night-wean her and I know from personal experience that it won't make her sleep through the night (nightweaned my ds at 18 months and he didn't sleep through, not one time ever until 2.5 yo), I'm just so tired. I needed a kick in the pants about it!

"MY best interest?...How can YOU say what MY best interest is?...When I went to YOUR schools, I went to YOUR churches, I went to YOUR institutional learning facilities."-ST
#8 of 10 Old 02-07-2006, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by water
Thanks you guys, it is a little better today. I really don't want to night-wean her and I know from personal experience that it won't make her sleep through the night (nightweaned my ds at 18 months and he didn't sleep through, not one time ever until 2.5 yo), I'm just so tired. I needed a kick in the pants about it!
I so know that feeling, ds2 who's 12 months rarely goes more than 30min w/o nursing at night and my 3.5 year old who's been night weaned since he was 2 still wakes at night...

Mom to Ds1 (8 1/2) Ds2 (6) Dd (2 1/2)!!!!
#9 of 10 Old 02-13-2006, 02:33 AM

Because you don't what your feritly and period to come back yet. Or at least that is why I am still night nursing my 16 month old a couple time a night. Some night are better then other. There have been nights where she has nursed for hours, then the next night she will nurse for a short amount of time, but more offen. It also is so nice to know that when she wakes up in the middle of night all I have to do is give her a little Boo Time ( that is what we call it) and she will go back to sleep. My 3 year old who has been night weaned for a year still wakes up crying some nights and on bad night she may cry for an hour, but if I let her nurse she just cries more the next night. Try to get a nap durning the day. I cat nap with my kids in the big rocking chair. Sometime we all fall asleep, sometimes it is just the baby and I sleeping
Good luck
Gina
#10 of 10 Old 02-13-2006, 10:04 AM

i keep thinking about it - my ds nurses 3-6 x per night and always has. i keep waiting for him to grow out of it. one thing that's helped me is to set a date in the future to re-evaluate - when he was 9, 10 months i said to myself under 1 is too young for nightweaning - i'll consider it when he's 1, and then when he turned 1 i felt i could keep going, so now i'm thinking i'll reconsider at 18 mo.

my trouble with falling asleep nursing is more that my nipples get ferociously tender because this child likes to sleep latched on... so i need to stay awake to unlatch him when he falls asleep. i go to bed about an hour earlier to help make up for the time "eaten" out of my night this way!

i don't know if this is a possibility for you, but my dh has gotten more involved in the nighttime parenting - when i'm at the end of my rope and just need to sleep dh will take a waking or two. it doesn't happen every night, but when it does i'm very glad for the backup!

Rosemary & Gary :
James 12/04 & Cecelia 4/07

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page