13 month old, solids, and milk supply - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DS didn't really get into eating solid foods until about a month or a month and a half ago. And then he went from zero to 3 meals a day practically overnight. He was nursing about 8+ times a day, not including comfort nursing (which put it closer to 20 times a day) and now he's at about 5-6 times a day with almost no comfort nursing.

So, the problem is, he sometimes refuses solids all day and just wants to nurse, but my supply has already adjusted and he gets pretty mad when the milk doesn't flow. He's hitting, biting, and yelling at my breasts.

What am I supposed to do? I offer cow's milk sometimes after he gets frustrated nursing, but he's not interested. Is it unreasonable to expect my DS to only nurse 5 or 6 times a day now that I know he can eat well? We still nurse on demand and I won't ever refuse him the breast, but the hitting and biting is making it hard. Should I try to get my supply back up or just wait it out? He's doing this about one or two days a week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 03:21 AM

I'd try to get your supply back up. They still need a lot of milk in the second year.

-Angela
#3 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 08:07 PM

I'd try to get your supply back up and perhaps try to convince him to nurse more frequently on days when he's not to keep everything more balanced. Or, if you prefer the 5-6x/day, work your child into that. Either way, he needs to learn that it's not ok to hit or bite when the milk doesn't come as quickly as he'd like. Good luck!

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#4 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 10:26 PM

Our children are about the same age (my dd was born 1/23/05). She has just recently starting showing even the slightest interest in food, although she is still not actually eating or swallowing anything substantial.

If it were me in your position, I would try to get my supply back up. Even if you are pumping to maintain the supply, you can always give it to your DS in a cup on the days when he doesnt want to nurse all the time.

On a side note, what/how did your son start eating? Was he exclusively nursing prior to that?
#5 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabs416
On a side note, what/how did your son start eating? Was he exclusively nursing prior to that?
We tried solids at 6 months, but he would gag and throw up even if the food was runny. I tried periodically for a few months, but he never liked baby food. At about 9 months, he would eat cheerios or gerber puffs, but I limited it to a small handful a day so he wouldn't fill up on them. He started to eat pieces of my food at about 10 months (when he could finally swallow it w/out gagging or throwing up), but it was just 1 or 2 bites every other day. Then at 11 1/2 months or so he just started trying everything. He basically eats whatever we eat. He really likes meat, veggies, and bread. He doesn't like fruit and dairy. Anything that he can pick up with his fingers he'll try. If it requires a spoon, he refuses it.

Anyways, I guess I'll go find my pump and hopefully this will pass soon.
#6 of 6 Old 02-25-2006, 11:35 PM

i had a similar situation the other day. my supply started getting really low and it was freaking me out. i'd been nursing like every 15-30 mins when my son had a fever and then my supply just kind of was gone. i would've thought i'd have milk coming out my ears the way he'd been nursing, but i couldn't just nurse my son (11mos) to sleep. his papa put him to sleep reading books and singing. i was crying and i think maybe getting hormonal from my supply going away? anyway, i got an herbal tincture of different herbs and started dosing through the day whenever i thought about it and my supply is gradually coming back--thank goodness!! it's not consistent yet and i'm still dosing with the tincture, but he's getting that precious milk still. i don't know what i'd do it i had to stop nursing so early!

Waldorf homeschooling homesteading homebirthing mama to my 2 boys '05 & '10 joy.gif & most amazing wife to my most amazing dh

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page