NEED ideas to not nurse 27m old to sleep at nap time, but to get her to still nap!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-30-2006, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 27m old is down to nursing once a day at a nap time (and she nurses for about 5 seconds on each side at bed time).

I don't have a good idea on how to wean her of her last nursing session, BUT to still have her sleep.

Understand... I have two sleep fighting girls. My oldest stopped ALL naps by 18m, despite needing them. (She'd spend 2 hours in her crib wide awake playing, and refusing to nap). The year from 2-3 with my oldest was realllly difficult, b/c everyday after 3pm, she'd just go nuts... so exhausted she couldn't physically listen, but still wouldn't sleep.

I'm afraid of a repeat here, b/c my 27m old dd actually does nap, and naps for about 2 hours... and to make it more difficult as of the last month she gets REALLLLLY grumpy when she is tired (she used to just play harder).

So... one nursing session left. A baby coming at the end of the year. I don't wish to tandem nurse. I really want to end this last nursing session, and somehow still have her nap, especially with a baby coming, I'm not going to be able to spend 30 minutes getting her to sleep. she sees it's light outside, and states, it's not bedtime... it's daylight! (and we have room darkening shades too).

Suggestions????

thx
Tammy
#2 of 6 Old 05-31-2006, 12:53 AM

do you have a carrier? can you put her on your back? this will still keep her close to you so she will have the cuddly stuff, just not the nursing, then eventually maybe you can move her to bed. It will also prevent her from playing with toys or running around.

I got my 4 month old to sleep today in my MT on my back. She nurses all day, everyday, and always nurses to sleep (at night and for naps). but today she just looked around happily and went to sleep without a sound (I didnt even know she was asleep until I looked in the mirror).
#3 of 6 Old 05-31-2006, 12:55 AM
Banned

What about just lying down with her but not nursing?
#4 of 6 Old 05-31-2006, 04:03 AM - Thread Starter

Carrier is a nice idea, but at 27 months and me nearing the end of my first tri.... carrying the extra weight on my back isn't a good combo... She's probably 30 lbs now.

Yah, laying next to her at night is what we do... but the problem during the day is "it's light outside and not time to sleep" according to her.

I've tried that the times she nurses to sleep, but wakes when I transfer her to the bed... I have yet to successfully get her back to bed w/o nursing her.

Tammy
#5 of 6 Old 05-31-2006, 08:05 PM

Have you tried a rocking chair? That's how I got mine to "nap wean". We'd read a book or two while rocking and then I'd rock him to sleep. He fought this for a while, but eventually it worked.

Good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 06-01-2006, 09:22 AM

HI,
something i tried with my elder son when my second son was born (elder was 2 years 9 months) was resting time.this boy REALLY needs to nap otherwise it is a mess during late afternoon. it was after lunch every day we would sit on the couch and read three books. i would read then i made up a resting time song and i would nurse new baby and lay on the opposite side of the couch and read and elder son would read on the other side of the couch and eventually fall asleep. lucky for me this works!! oh and my elder son nurses as well. this would also help towards weaning. something about nursing the elder one to sleep was driving me batty!

good luck!
brooke

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page