12 mo old: mix between bm and solids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-20-2006, 01:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

My dd just turned 1 and we just got back from her 12mo check up. She was 7.6lb and 20" at birth. By 2 mo she was at 12lbs and 3mo she was at 14lbs.

Now she's almost 30 inches, but still a tad shy of 20lbs. So, 75% for height and 25% for weight. I;m not SUPER concerned b/c dh and I are both tall and thin, but I know my milk supply seems low to me and I am afraid she's not getting enough to eat.

She was down to 3-4 nursing sessions a day, but the last few weeks she has wanted to nurse a lot more often. She has started going back and forth, from one boob to the other and back again...like "hmm, this one's empty, let me try the other one...nope, that's no good either, back to the first one, etc..." She was always a one boob at a time girl. Only occasionally drank from both in one sitting. Now it's always both and the back & forth thing. The only time I feel like she gets a good feed is in the morning. She takes one side for 5-6 minutes and then the other side for the same and then she's done. She's always been a quick nurser.

She seems to eat aaaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllll day long and is always asking (signing) for food. She has about 12 tablespoons of oatmeal in the morning (30 minutes or so after her wake-up BF), then more BM around 9am, then a solids snack around 11, then solids for lunch around 12:30, more BM at 1:30, a solids snack around 3:30, solids for dinner around 5:30 and then a good-night BF around 6:30. She typically sleeps through the night and I rarely feed her in the night if she does wake up.She only drinks water from a cup. No formula no cows milk.

So...I don't mind that she grazes all day...solids and bm, but I am a bit worried that she seems hungry all the time! Should I give her some whole milk? Do I need to increase her solid food intake?

Any ideas?
Kelly
#2 of 9 Old 10-20-2006, 01:32 AM

Sounds normal to me.

My daughter was 8,1 at birth, and just shy of 20 pounds at 12 months. She also does the side-to-side thing...I thought it was because the 2 sides taste different, since she tends to not swallow before switching...so milk dribbles down her chin. lol

Is the food sign the only sign she knows? Is it possible she's just excited to be able to communicate something, as opposed to actually being hungry?

Also, one thing I do with my daughter, rather than give her cow milk in a cup, is just give her bm in a cup.
#3 of 9 Old 10-20-2006, 01:35 AM

She's not nursing NEARLY enough. At 1 yr breastmilk should be well over half of their nutrition.

-Angela
#4 of 9 Old 10-20-2006, 02:53 AM
DBZ

My Dd is 13 months and gets about 80% of her nutrition from breast milk. Not too long ago she went through a go back and forth phase. I figured that she finally understood that there were two boobs and that they both had milk. The problem was that she has only one mouth LOL. She's calmed down quite a bit though. Your dd may also be going through a growth spurt. I wouldn't bother with cow's milk. Your milk is so much better for her.

Kara

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#5 of 9 Old 10-20-2006, 11:03 AM

My DD is also 12 months, and 30 inches tall and 20lbs at her last appointment. She nurses 4-6 times per day, and I have also noted that she has been switching from side to side during a feeding. I thought it was because I was empty too, but I can still get milk out, and I think it is just a fun thing for her (she recently learned how to sign "milk" and so this switch is usually brought on by her signing and tugging at the other side of my shirt).
I am a WOHM so during the week she gets cheerios and fruit for breakfast, a morning snack, solids for lunch, an afternoon snack, and solids for dinner. On the weekend we usually forgo the snacks and she nurses more often. She does nurse at least once during the night. Oh, we also send two four oz bottles of cows milk (whole, organic) with her to daycare since I stopped pumping, but she usually doesn't drink all of that, she prefers to wait for mommy.
I think that your child sounds a lot like mine, and of course you are going to see that different children will do different things. I found this on kellymom.com about toddler nutrition:

"Some toddlers are eating very few solids, or even no solids, at 12 months. This is not unusual and really depends on your child - there is quite a big variation. We like to see breastmilk making up the majority (around 75%) of baby's diet at 12 months. Some babies will be taking more solids by 12 months, but others will still be exclusively or almost-exclusively breastfed at this point. It is normal for baby to keep breastmilk as the primary part of his diet up until 18 months or even longer. An example of a nice gradual increase in solids would be 25% solids at 12 months, 50% solids at 18 months, and 80% solids at 24 months. "
#6 of 9 Old 10-20-2006, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Did you see in Mother mag the little thing about WHO'S weight/ht chart for beastfeed babies? I had my doc print it. She was very surprised by the differents in the weight. My son is tall and thin and with the "normal" chart low % for weight. Just something to look into.
#7 of 9 Old 10-20-2006, 07:50 PM

Have you tried a nursing tea to increase your supply a little bit? I like the one from Weleda best, but the one from Gaia garden is okay too. The tea really seems to help give my supply a boost.

My dd is also tall and slim - but then my husband and I are too. At 15 mos she is 31" tall and 20 lbs, 2oz. She has been tracking along those percentiles since she was 10 months old so our family doc is finally relaxing about her ht/wt.

To coax more good bm calories into her maybe try nursing her when she is asleep before you go to bed in the evening. I do that with my dd and she doesn't even wake up. If I know she is hungry, I will nurse her before I offer her solid food. So she has a "liquid lunch" before her solid one.
#8 of 9 Old 10-20-2006, 11:05 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

Thanks for all the comments! I'm going to skip the cows milk for now. Today she nursed 7 times..that's a change from her normal 4 times a day and she slept from 7pm-5am...woke up to nurse and then went back to bed til 7am! Then she took two 1.5 hour naps. So...maybe you are right about the growth spurt.

She really loves to eat, so maybe it's more the "fun" of eating than actual hunger.

I do have some homeopathy pills that I used when I was having milk supply trouble when I was pumping. I think I'll try them again and see if she gets more milk.

Glad to hear my dd is not the only back and forth nurser. I do find that she does it less when she is tired, so maybe it's just an attention span thing...or just trying to get as much milk as quickly as possible so she can get back to what she was doing!

Thanks again for all the responses...it's nice to hear other people's stories and to know I'm not the only one :-)

Kelly
#9 of 9 Old 10-21-2006, 09:11 AM

My boys both nursed off just one side as babies and then started needing both sides right around a year. In their case, they were closer to 30 pounds at their first birthdays, but it seemed like their food needs increased around that age and they couldn't get everything they needed from one side any more.

Does she nurse at night? Could you try to start if she doesn't? That's a great way to get extra milk in your baby, and your supply should really increase if you nurse more frequently. It's long breaks between nursing sessions that really affect your supply.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page