Anyone's 2yo on Miralax and nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 02-07-2007, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wasn't sure if I should post this on Toddlers, Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy or Health...??

My nearly 2 yo DD is holding poop. After 6 months of trying natural techniques (flax oil, etc) we are going to try Miralax. Does anyone have any experience with this and a nursing toddler?

She's not a huge drinker of water or juice because she nurses A LOT during the day (mostly still on demand).

I'm wondering if she will want to increase nursing/need more liquids? I'm also wondering what dosages other folks have found work without extremely loose stools?

TIA!
#2 of 19 Old 02-07-2007, 05:50 PM

I have a 9 month old on miralax and nursing. I found that if I cut the recommended dosage in half he poops pretty well and doesn't overflow the diaper He really didn't increase nursing and I was giving it to him daily and w/in a month I was cutting back to 2-3x a week
#3 of 19 Old 02-07-2007, 06:18 PM

My daughter, 5, was put on Miralax around the time she was 3. She was weaned then so I cannot offer alot of help on that specifically. I did not see an increase in fluids though. She is still on it...and has never had signs of dehydration and has been growing well. We started her on the full 17 gram dose per her pediatrician's recommendation, to get things flowing so to speak, and very slowly started dropping it down. I tried a couple times to completely take her off of it, but she starts holding again. She does know that she takes "poop medicine" to make her poo softer, and the times I have tried to eliminate it, I did not tell her to make sure she wasn't expecting it to be a problem. She just really is that sensitive. We give her around 2-3 grams every other morning now.

The only other advice I would offer, is to try giving your daughter something heavy for her lap, or some toys or books on a tray while she poops - wait...that thinking that she is pooping on a toilet. We found that my daughter, before Miralax, found that to be a good coping method...and later, in talking to our pediatrician, she mentioned another patient who was in diapers then, who was also having difficulty, and he was crouching in a corner and pushing down on his legs with his arms...we were speculating together if the pressure input on the thighs helped distract from the sensitivity in the bum.

Best of luck, I know it is tough stuff...
#4 of 19 Old 02-07-2007, 06:21 PM

You also might try posting on the Special Needs board for this. My daughter has Sensory Processing Dysfunction which is likely connected to the poo difficulty. Might be more who have experience with Miralax there.
#5 of 19 Old 02-07-2007, 06:48 PM

I'm in the exact same boat. Here's what works for us...

1.) I actually have him on the full adult dose. The dr. recommended starting at half and then tinkering with it from there.

2.) DS is not a big drinker. He does like OJ (likes it- not loves it) so I mix the Miralax with the juice (you can taste it if it is just with water or less flavorful juices). Then, I make a game of it between nursings. Before he nurses I say "Big sip of juice!" and he swigs it and I pretend to be astonished. Then he nurses a little. This process gets the juice down in about 1/2 hour.

3.) I have a sippy of water with me all day. I give lots of fresh fruits and veg.
#6 of 19 Old 02-07-2007, 09:55 PM

I would not give a chemical to help with a basic body function.... when it can mean many different things you'd rather solve such as mineral deficiency or gut flora problems.

I think even the manufacturer has said Miralax was not to be used long term?

Magnesium is much more preferable to use to loosen stool, we like Natural Calm brand. Many many people are deficient in this key nutrient.

Probiotics are also indicated as constipation is a sign of gut flora imbalance.

Gut flora imbalance and food allergies are also tied to sensory disorder, I know, I've seen it in my DS.
#7 of 19 Old 02-07-2007, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS View Post
I would not give a chemical to help with a basic body function.... when it can mean many different things you'd rather solve such as mineral deficiency or gut flora problems.

I think even the manufacturer has said Miralax was not to be used long term?

Magnesium is much more preferable to use to loosen stool, we like Natural Calm brand. Many many people are deficient in this key nutrient.

Probiotics are also indicated as constipation is a sign of gut flora imbalance.

Gut flora imbalance and food allergies are also tied to sensory disorder, I know, I've seen it in my DS.

I agree and we've tried several options. She is holding it - it's not physical, it's psychological at this point. Her diet is mainly fruits and veggies, she still nurses on demand 24 hrs a day and gets 2+ teaspoons of flax oil a day.

I will look into magnesium; she gets probiotics with yogurt. I am not happy to use miralax, but I don't want to see her with longer-term issues due to holding stool. She had a very painful stool about 6 months ago and has been withholding ever since. She has gone 9 days without moving her bowels.

She doesn't eat much or well when she hasn't pooped (I imagine she feels very full). I added the miralax with her water for the first time today and have very mixed feelings about it.

I am open to other suggestions, I really want to have this issue resolved - it's causing her so much pain and stress.
#8 of 19 Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toemizan View Post
My daughter, 5, was put on Miralax around the time she was 3. She was weaned then so I cannot offer alot of help on that specifically. I did not see an increase in fluids though. She is still on it...and has never had signs of dehydration and has been growing well. We started her on the full 17 gram dose per her pediatrician's recommendation, to get things flowing so to speak, and very slowly started dropping it down. I tried a couple times to completely take her off of it, but she starts holding again. She does know that she takes "poop medicine" to make her poo softer, and the times I have tried to eliminate it, I did not tell her to make sure she wasn't expecting it to be a problem. She just really is that sensitive. We give her around 2-3 grams every other morning now.

The only other advice I would offer, is to try giving your daughter something heavy for her lap, or some toys or books on a tray while she poops - wait...that thinking that she is pooping on a toilet. We found that my daughter, before Miralax, found that to be a good coping method...and later, in talking to our pediatrician, she mentioned another patient who was in diapers then, who was also having difficulty, and he was crouching in a corner and pushing down on his legs with his arms...we were speculating together if the pressure input on the thighs helped distract from the sensitivity in the bum.

Best of luck, I know it is tough stuff...
Thank you.

She usually poops in a half stand/squat and holds my hands. She would rather poop in her diaper (I've asked her if she wanted to use the potty and she says no.)

Best wishes to you and your DD too.
#9 of 19 Old 02-09-2007, 08:43 PM

mom of  dust.gif, ROTFLMAO.gif, and jog.gif
#10 of 19 Old 02-09-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam View Post
I agree and we've tried several options. She is holding it - it's not physical, it's psychological at this point. Her diet is mainly fruits and veggies, she still nurses on demand 24 hrs a day and gets 2+ teaspoons of flax oil a day.

I will look into magnesium; she gets probiotics with yogurt. I am not happy to use miralax, but I don't want to see her with longer-term issues due to holding stool. She had a very painful stool about 6 months ago and has been withholding ever since. She has gone 9 days without moving her bowels.

She doesn't eat much or well when she hasn't pooped (I imagine she feels very full). I added the miralax with her water for the first time today and have very mixed feelings about it.

I am open to other suggestions, I really want to have this issue resolved - it's causing her so much pain and stress.
What worked for us was ground flax SEED, which of course has fiber in it. I put 1 tbsp in her oatmeal and has worked MIRACLES for us. She was holding for up to 10 days and then screaming and tearing when she couldn't hold it anymore. (TMI) Her poop was as big as my dh's seriously. I was trying to add fibersure or the like to see if it helped- it didn't. Finally one night her poor anus swelled shut while sitting on her potty and we took her to the dr. He recommended several things- the flax seed, malt suplex, apricots etc (add fiber with food), and prep-h if her anus swelled any again (plus it lubed her). Within two weeks she was going every 3 days at the most. Within a month or so it was every other day at most. Now it's every day unless I'm a bad mama and give her something else for breakfast (oatmeal does get old or we run out occasionally). I've found I can mix the flax into a lot of things though- spagetti sauce, pancakes, fried chicken batter even- and it still helps. That would be my suggestion before going to a prescription.
#11 of 19 Old 04-30-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

nak

I thought I should post some more information about miralax. After merely scratching the surface with research, I was able to find a yahoo group with lots of information. THere are some parents on the list who have had children harmed by miralax. I had a very hard time finding this info without the yahoo group, so I thought I would share the group name here: miralax

Interesting info and very friendly folks.

I no longer give it to DD and will likely only use it again in an emergency.
#12 of 19 Old 10-14-2007, 02:31 AM

HI,

I am bumping this up cause i have a DS who is 2/5 yr old with this issue. He used to go without to much problems. I mean he would grunt and strain, and the like for a few hours but he would pass his stool within a 2-3 days without problems, and it was always soft. I started askign the ped about this almost a year ago, and the again on his 24 month WBC. She told me then that it was probably due to him sitting flaton his butt (he is still in diapers 99% of the time) and that was counter productive, so he had to strain alot to move the stool cause he was basically pooping like a newborn.

About a month to a month and half ago (last week in august) , it hit crisis point, He went about a week (around 5-6 days) without a poop. Then one day he stopped eating, that day he was miserable, crying, laying on me,and then getting down to try to poop. he had vommited a bit (he had another time that he was this way as well, but just as i was about to call his doc, he passed a huge, but very very soft stool. Then he was going every 2-3 days again, so i thought it was ok) He had staining, and some loose stools coming out, but he still strained and was lathergic and I knew there was still something in there. So, i had to call the ped oncall (this happened on a weekend of course) they suggested miralax. Well cause my baby was in pain i thought nothing of it and quickly ran to the store. (well actually my DH went to get it) I gave 1 dosage or 1 tsp, and 20 mins later we had poop (probably coinsidence) Then a few days later he started to strain again and getting whiney so i called his ped (thankfully a business day) adn they told me to give the miralax until we got to runny poop signaling that he was cleaned out. So after 3 dosages of miralax, and 6 poopy diapers later. i felt he was clean, so i stopped it. He was doing fine, pooping every 2-3 days with grunting and straining but at least passing it.

Then BAMMM 3-4 day hits and he still hasn't passed a stool, so i call for an appt. My ped suggests to do miralax every 3rd day of no stool. I was a bit leary of this, as i didn't think it a good idea to use a chemical to help my son poop on a reqular basis like that, i mean i coudl understand for emergancy usage. I asked if there were any worries about dependancy on the miralax, i was told there was no way he could become dependant, cause it wasn't a stimulate laxative. Then I asked about hte safety (at that time i was not told it was not FDA approved for pediatric cases) I asked if he needed to see a GI, i was told that i could get a referral, but would be told to do the same thing, and would have to wait months to get in to them, cause this problem was soo common, and it was put at the bottom of the priority pile.

After doing alot of research i've heard both good an bad about Miralax. I am waiting for my membership to be accepted on the Yahoo miralax group, cause i'd reallylike to see what they have to say. I have not used the miralax since last Thrusday(10/04) I had given 3 dosages of that (1 dose on the wes before, adn then 2 dosages of miralax on thrusday per my peds advice even though i was not happy to do so. but he needed to poop, so i did it) I got 3 diapers of poop.

We (my DH and I ) are both leary about usign this long term, so my quest begins. I have started my son on ground flax seeds in fruit smoothies or in his milk (how ever i can get it down him) flax seed and oatmeal cookies that i bake. flax oil (on the days that i can't get him to take the flax ground) plum juice and juicy juice, water, kid lax (just bought that stuff today cause it had been 4 days since a BM)

I started the flax therapy on that Friday after the peds appt, and i had done the research. On monday (10/08) he had a great BM that was soft and squishy and very substainal (actually it was 2 BM's but he started grunting agian when i went to change him, so i left him alone ) he barely had to strain to get it out, and didnt' seem to be in pain. I felt i had won a small battle in this pooping war. Then i started second quessing myself and getting really worried recently when we approached day 4 since that monday BM with no poopies and no trying from my son (wellno real tryign anyway, I mean i aske him to try to poopy, and he "tries" KWIM) each day that went by the more panicky i became. I have a bottle of miralax (same bottle i bought the last week of august when all this started) sitting here, and i was just about to use it, when someone on another thread suggested Kidlax. So off to the HFS i go to get that. I give 1 capsule (i break apart the capsule and pour the powder into his juice) after his nap, and at 4P i get a small poop. Then at 5:30 i get a bigger and more substainal poop and it was nice and soft and squishy. Again relief for me (and my son i imagine) and now i'm on the bottom of this roller coaster again. I have no idea what to expect next. Will he poop tomorrw, will it be 3 days from now, will i have to give him miralax again. I donnot want his intestines to get stretched out. BUt i also donnot want my son becoming depedant on miralax to help him stool.

I've read on the childhood's pooping woes thread about kids being on miralax for years. and when the parents reduce or try to wean them off the drug they are often times right back at square 1. I dont' want that to happen. And not knowing of the true safety of Miralax in kids,c ause there has been no long term study done on the effects of this drug. it worries me. But it also worries me that i'm doing the wrong thing by doing the natural approach and not listening to my ped's advice of giving it to him after the 3rd day of no stool.

I've won 2 small battles in a bloody war. With my son, his only consistancy is his utter lack of consistancy and it's been that way from day one with his BM's. After he passed all him meconium (sp) he went 7 days with no BM. I was diagnosed with a true lack of supply issue and he was put on Formula, where he would have a soft BM every 1-2 days, sometimes 1-2 x's a day.

Even when first started on solids, i could always control the frequency of stools with his diet. Up untill he was around 22 months he ate prunes with no problems (no he simply flat out refuses to eat them, no matter how i try to hide them)

Then i was still able to controll it with diet somewhat up until the last week of august when that first crisis point happened.

I just hope we are doing the right thing here. I really hope that like the PP i will see soem big changes in his pooping patterens. He has only been on the flax for a full week (well a week and 1 day ) and has gone 4 days between poops. I hope it gets better i really do.
#13 of 19 Old 10-14-2007, 03:07 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My dd was about 2 when we started using it and you'll want to get a clean out then you'll just have to mess with the dose to find the maintainance dose for him. It can take months before you wean off it if he's withholding due to fear. My dd is 7 now and still needs it from time to time because she won't drink enough fluid. Anyway, my dd didn't like drinking back then either and thats when I broke down and gave her kool aid for the 1st time and she drank it right down. I mixed it in that or chocolate rice milk every time after that and she happily drank it down, still does actually

Seriously?
#14 of 19 Old 10-14-2007, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Betsyconnersmommy, I don't have time to post in detail now, but I will be back later. I do have some ideas and just to say again -- the folks on the miralax yahoo group are amazing!!

We had great success with magnesium and some behavior changes. Details later
#15 of 19 Old 10-14-2007, 05:43 PM

I really cannot wait for my membership to be approved on the miralax group. I really want to "hear" what they have to say about this drug. I also want to know how it is legal for a ped to prescribe a drug "off-label" like this.

I'm hoping his pooping issues get better with the flax therapy i'm doing, and all. It seems the last 2 poops were nice and soft, which is what i'm trying ot acheive, so that i can get him to work past the fear of having a stool that hurts, and then with holding it. KWIM.

He doesn't have any allergies to food or meds that i know of (only an allergy to squash, go figure! LOL He broke out in a rash, but i havent' tried squash at all since his last rash when he was around 9 months old or so. So i'm not sure if he may have "grown" out of that allergy.

I look forward to hearing from you and reading your suggestions. THanks for taking time out ot contact me!
#16 of 19 Old 10-15-2007, 03:24 PM - Thread Starter

I've been trying to write this post all morning, sigh.

What worked for us:

1) Flax oil and ground flax seeds (mixed in just about everything!)
2) Natural Calm magnesium. I would mix this in DD's pear juice (which is also supposed to help move things along) in the morning. Really, I think the magnesium was the biggest help.
3) We started to make a big deal about poop. She came to the bathroom with us. We talked about the dog pooping, etc. When she pooped, we would make a big deal about flushing it in the toilet after her diaper change. She would flush and clap, then we would wash hands with extra bubbly soap. Basically, we were trying to make pooping more "fun" and show her that it is a normal part of everyone's day.
4) Try to encourage more water. At the time, DD was a huge nurser (still on-request), so getting her to drink water additionally was a challenge.

We found that apples tend to slow DD down. So, we've cut applesauce, apple juice, etc from her diet. She gets them only once in a while now.

It took a few months, but she now goes just about every day. She also likes to talk about her poop a lot now too, but hey, I don't mind as long as she's going!!!

Let me know if you have any questions or would like more detail. It's naptime (for both of us!). Good luck to you, I know it is hard to see your little one with such discomfort.
#17 of 19 Old 10-15-2007, 06:04 PM

we went on miralax after a year of trying other methods, and she would still hold. It was psychological as well as physical, I think, she just didn't feel the normal urges since her colon was streched. In my case, she had plenty of fiber, but not enough water probably....I think b/c I made my own babyfood I didn't add enough water/ breastmilk and I won't make that mistake again.

We had great success with miralax, are down to less than 1teaspoon per day, and want to get off soon (it's been 4-5 months). Now I'm pregnant, still nursing, and my milk (colostrum probably) has come in at 30 weeks, and she is getting very runny yellow poop (last few days). So maybe the colostrum is doing it for her? I dropped the miralax today, and we'll see if she goes after her nap (she's sleeping through the construction on our house, amazing!).

In any case, I really don't like miralax, but we were all going crazy b/c when she skipped a day, then she just couldn't get it back together. We did glycerin suppositoris, but that only gets the last few inches of colon, so she never got "cleared out". And talk about fiber - lots of fruit, veggies, whole wheat products only...but nothing changed. now she has been going every day, or occasionally skipping a day, for months, and it isn't an "issue" anymore. We are also trying to get her to go on the potty, maybe the colostrum will give us the chance before baby comes...

Erika
#18 of 19 Old 10-16-2007, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthasam View Post
I've been trying to write this post all morning, sigh.

What worked for us:

1) Flax oil and ground flax seeds (mixed in just about everything!)
2) Natural Calm magnesium. I would mix this in DD's pear juice (which is also supposed to help move things along) in the morning. Really, I think the magnesium was the biggest help.
3) We started to make a big deal about poop. She came to the bathroom with us. We talked about the dog pooping, etc. When she pooped, we would make a big deal about flushing it in the toilet after her diaper change. She would flush and clap, then we would wash hands with extra bubbly soap. Basically, we were trying to make pooping more "fun" and show her that it is a normal part of everyone's day.
4) Try to encourage more water. At the time, DD was a huge nurser (still on-request), so getting her to drink water additionally was a challenge.

We found that apples tend to slow DD down. So, we've cut applesauce, apple juice, etc from her diet. She gets them only once in a while now.

It took a few months, but she now goes just about every day. She also likes to talk about her poop a lot now too, but hey, I don't mind as long as she's going!!!

Let me know if you have any questions or would like more detail. It's naptime (for both of us!). Good luck to you, I know it is hard to see your little one with such discomfort.
We are doing all of that, with the exception of the natural baby calm. I will have to look into that stuff when i go to the HFS. I also have kidlax here, but it says that it is not for prolonged use, cause it has peach leaf in it, which is a natural stimulate.

He drinks around 8-9 10 oz sippies a day of water/juice/water-juice mix/ and milk ( 10-15 oz a day) He will literally drink a liter of water a day at the very least. WE make a huge deal out of poop. when he goes i hug him and tell him what a great job he's done and i'm so happy. He has been followign me to the potty since he could roll across the floor, and before that i would bring him to the bathroom and sit him in his bouncy seat while i took care of business. lets just say that i donnot use the bathroom alone, ever! he is right there. I always tell him what i'm doing, when he hears the pee hit the water he says "mama peepee!" and then he'll aske "mama, poopoo? " i will say yes usually. I'm totally doing child led potty learning as i want him to not be scared of hte toliet, or to think that he's lost control over when he uses it. Cause then it would make the pooping thing worse, cause he will feel like he needs to control it even further, KWIM. But when he's willing and asks (which is at least once a day now) i sit him on there, and he reads, and sits a good long time, often times he will pee just fine, and will "try " to poop, but doesn't usually. I praise him for trying though, and telll him. "thanks for showing mommy your poopoo muscle!" that's what i say when he tries to go.

the ND at the HFS told me that i should try this stuff called flora bear (now he is on Baby jarro's dophilius as well) he said that it can be taken regularly and really helps with softenign up and helping with elimenation, so we will try that. I will also ask about the baby calm as well (as long as you can't taste it when mixed with juice my son will drink it!)

I put flax seed in everything, flax oil in smoothies or milk, he eats alot of veggies, his favorites are broccolli and califlower. very little meat, only chicken nuggests. dried fruits such as rasins, and cranberries. He will share my smoothie with me (made of frozen fruit and yogurt and juice and flax oil) My son isn't a fan of apples at all, so that is not an issue. i've taken out rices out of his diet as well. Added more tomatoe sauce (hoping that the acidic tomatoes will help move him along easier) He is not a cheese eater really and only has maybe 1 oz a week and that is it!

I finally got accepted on the yahoo miralax group. but so far no one is posting on there right now, or answering my posts.

I have miralax here incase we need it. I'm afraid that all my efforts, and money that i've spent on the natural approach will be invain and i will have to go onto the miralax for a while till he starts going on a regular basis again. I gave him the kidlax on sat and sun, and both days he gave 2 nice size and very soft BM's But i didn't give him any yesterday or today and so far no poops. I don't want him becoming depedent on laxatives of any type, not even natural ones, but it seems that my "wants" won't be what i get. KWIM. He has only had 1 poop in the last 2.5 wks that wasnt' due to the miralax or the kidlax. I'm worried his body has already gotten dependant on them in such a short period of time.
#19 of 19 Old 10-17-2007, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsyconnersmommy View Post
I finally got accepted on the yahoo miralax group. but so far no one is posting on there right now, or answering my posts.

You should check the files area. Last time I was active on the list was about 6 months ago, but they did have a lot of information (studies and info on miralax, plus info on alternatives) in the files area.

Also, just to clarify, I used the regular adult Natural Calm -- just a smaller amount. I think it was 1/8 tsp. (At the time, I did some calculations on the amount of magnesium per tsp, then figured out how much she is "required" to have using the RDA for kids. Or something to that effect, I forget now )

Sounds like you have tried everything Perhaps, you could cross-post in Health & Healing? Maybe some folks over there have other suggestions.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page