When is too early to get pregnant again? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 02-08-2007, 07:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have not started my period yet, but i have a strange inkling it will come soon. Increased cervical mucus, etc.... dd nurses whenever she wants and still 1 or 2 times at night. I plan on nursing her as long as she wants it and i plan on tandeming if i get pregnant again.

My question is how soon is too soon to get pregnant, considering her nutritional needs? We will not be starting anything else by mouth until atleast six months and she show other signs of readiness. Even then we only want to do finger foods.

My concern is what if i get pregnant when she is say 7 months, then my supply lessens while pregnant will she be able to nutritionally get what she needs? We are open to getting pregnant whenever it happens and were not planning on using any birth control. But i'm wondering now if i should be more proactive on not getting pregnant for a while.

Anyone have any ideas, personal experience, anything?
#2 of 15 Old 02-08-2007, 07:26 PM

I have personal experience I can share.

I got pg with DD when my ds was 7 months old - kind of a surprise, kind of not.

We started solids the day my ds turned 6 months old...I didn't know any better then.

By the time he was 8 months old, I started noticing supply problems. By 9 months old, he was hardly nursing any more and on formula. By 10 months, he was done. He just stopped nursing. Looking back, it could have been a nursing strike, I just don't know. He was never a comfort nurser, and always a very voracious eater...and I think that since he wasn't getting as much milk as he was used to/needed, he just gave up.

I do feel sad that I wasn't able to give him what he deserved (nutritionally) as an infant. Having to give him formula was probably the hardest thing I ever had to do...there was/is a lot of mama-guilt there.
#3 of 15 Old 02-08-2007, 10:47 PM

Honestly, I would wait until you think she will be OK without your milk. I did not get pregnant the second time until DS was a little over 18 months old, but he was nowhere near ready to give up nursing. I lost my milk pretty much totally by 12 weeks. I felt horrible about it and did a lot of crying and second guessing myself as to why I ever went off birth control when I did. Some moms don't lose their milk but many do. There is no way to know ahead of time if you will or not.

My son has continued to nurse throughout and since I am due any day, I am certain we will be tandem nursing. I just wanted to give him a second chance at having my milk again. But it's been hard, I felt terribly guilty and I would say, if someone asked my opinion, to wait until you think your child will be OK if your milk is suddenly gone. We got pregnant a lot faster than I'd ever expected.
#4 of 15 Old 02-08-2007, 10:52 PM

Just wanted to say:

Wow. You women must be great Mamas. You care so much about your children and you ask questions to know what is best.

Even though two of you said you have guilt issues with the milk drying up (and I do understand), I just wanted to say that your children are very lucky indeed to have Mamas like you.

Hugs,
Bean
#5 of 15 Old 02-08-2007, 10:57 PM

ther eis a whole group of us -- nurseing moms TTC --

here is our thread

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...46#post7251046

the storys all differ.

It is important to remember that while there are moms who have NO effectt ot he milk -- MOST moms do loose some supply, and the milk taest is effected.

Now a lot of moms work through it and go on to tandam nurse.

We started TTC when DS was 10 month -- and we are still trying at 15 month -- 6 cycles now. For some reason if youa re TRYING then nurseing seesm to be quite and effect control, while i know IRL at least 3 moms with babes 15 monthor less apart for whom nurseing did nothing -- murphy at work .

So I think it is importnat to do what you feel is right.

Personally I waited to be sure -- IF I lost all milk aropund 4 month PG he'd be over 12 months and eating more...........but again I know 3 moms IRL who got preggo a lot earlier than that, 2 nursed all pregancy.

I think nurtionally -- no matter how long they nurse (2 years, 3 years) they are always getting something good for them, adn the immuinty benifit is just as big later -- nurseing tots are a lot more healthy than non-nursers...

but the more they eat the less your milk is mandatory -- KWIM? AND that depends on the child. we started "food" at 8 months, but only NOW at 14 months is he starting to care and even eat every day.....

Join us -- you don't have to be TTC to come on over -- we have a lot of moms who are just hanging out learning what they can

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#6 of 15 Old 02-09-2007, 11:33 PM

I nursed during a pregnancy and it wasn't an easy thing for me. It's nicer to nurse an infant wiithout worry of feeling crappy and sore from a pregnancy.
#7 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 01:43 AM

I got pregnant when my dd was 8 months and more than once I have felt very guilty about it. DD has continued nursing through the pregnancy although my supply seriously dipped. I had to night wean her at about 10 months as I wasn't coping at all being woken up every 45mins-2hrs. She is, at the moment, a very active nurser during the day and I amnow preparing myself to tandem feed. 2nd baby is due any day now. She lost weight when I fell pregnant although she was such a curvy thing that it's never been a problem, it also co-incided with her become mobile and starting solids (which she didn't really establish til 11months) so it wasn't all down to the lack of breastmilk. She has never had formula or cow's milk (won't drink the latter although has lots of dairy products) and I have had to be very careful about making sure her nutritional needs are met through food and that way any milk was a bonus. It's not only the nursing that has made me feel guilty, but just in general my wee baby has had to cope with a tired pregnant mamma and soon a sibling at such a young age. I do think we have coped in the main and I am very excited about a new baby. However, I do wish I'd waited a bit.
Good luck whatever you decide!
R
#8 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 02:36 AM

We waited until dd was 2 before TTC. I'm glad we did as I have had a HUGE drop in supply with pregnancy. It would have been a big problem if dd was younger.

-Angela
#9 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 02:56 AM

Baby needs to have breastmilk as the primary source of nutrition for the first year of life, so I'd say that any time in that period is "too early." Although my milk doesn't dry up, my supply drops noticably, & there's no way I'd want to have to supplement/wean to formula because I got pregnant.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#10 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 01:05 PM

I would not get pregnant until my baby was at least 2 (or within a month or so of turning 2), because I think they deserve at least 2 yrs. of breastmilk. I have nursed through a pregnancy and vowed never to do so again-- so if I have a third child (which I hope to) I probably won't get pregnant for several years (my youngest nursling is only 1).

I got pregnant with my second when my oldest was 26 mos. old. My milk dried up at 9 weeks, and it was excruciatingly painful to nurse from that point on. The first 6 mos. of tandem nursing were exhausting and I literally did nothing but nurse my boys. I like tandem nursing now but I'm 14 months in, and my oldest is weaning.

So many people seem to think nursing through pregnancy and tandem nursing will just be so easy and great (I thought so myself!) but then go read the posts in this forum and the CLW forum where tandeming mamas talk about the hardships of it. It's doable, and it's definitely better than prematurely weaning so that you can get pregnant, but if you can afford to wait, I would really recommend it.
#11 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 02:33 PM

Although this might have little to do with the nursing needs of you current child, there are some studies out that show it takes about 3 years to rebuild your vitamin/mineral stores, and for your body to recover completly from having a baby. Nutritional deficiencies, which contribute to birth defects, become common when children are spaced too close together. So for that reason, it would be wise to wait until she's *atleast* 2 before ttc.

Sita:, busy mama to 3 busy boys
#12 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 03:04 PM

I'm 11 wks pg and have a 10 month old. So far I can keep up with him with very little supplementation (the girls in my bf group have been very sweet to donate some milk to me). It does occassionally hurt like heck though. I plan to tandem nurse when Bellybean gets here.

My kids are all very close and I love having them close. They are 2.5 yrs apart (way too long, IMO), 17 months apart, 19 months apart and the next two will be 16 months apart.

Tamara: hs'ing Christian mom of five here and five in Heaven. Joyfully awaiting Punkin, coming mid-Sept!
#13 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 04:16 PM

Quote:
It's doable, and it's definitely better than prematurely weaning so that you can get pregnant, but if you can afford to wait, I would really recommend it.
this might be the best view point -- waiting if possible.........but as pp says she loves havieng her's close together.

And a number of us are "older" and can't wait for DC to self wean (3? 4? older?) before we start TTC again. My MAIN goal is kids close together for THEM, but I am also not in a place to wait for 3 years.......

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#14 of 15 Old 02-13-2007, 04:58 PM

dd is almost 18 months old and we're planning on waiting another year or so before TTC #2 for several reasons, but the way things are with dd, I don't think we could handle another child yet. DD is nursing maybe 12 times a day and not eating much, she's having a rough time with her molars coming in and she still needs so much 1 on 1 attention. She grabs my finger and brings me around the house with her, likes to be carried or worn in a carrier, sometimes just likes to sit and nurse for 20 minutes at a time, sometimes has a hard time getting to sleep... I don't think I could handle nursing another one until she has cut down a little
#15 of 15 Old 02-14-2007, 06:54 AM

Another personal story here: I conceived when DS1 was 5 months old, successfully nursed through that pregnancy, no loss of supply. DD1 was stillborn at 24 weeks. I conceived again immediately (unplanned) on DS1's first birthday, and almost immediately started noticing a loss of supply. He weaned at 17 months, but went back to the boob occasionally once his brother was here.
We just lost twins, conceived on dd2's first birthday, and I noticed a huge loss in supply just a few weeks post ovulation, before I was even testing positive. Then my supply came back up, morning sickness vanished, and I knew something was wrong.
So, another question to ask yourself: if you conceive whilst nursing and miscarry, will you be able to resist the temptation to blame yourself? Or can you have the strength to remember that it really was just one of those things and very bad luck?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page