breastfeeding = low libido? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 68 Old 04-17-2007, 11:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I even went to my OB to get checked out because I though something was really wrong (like I got stitched up oddly or something). She said nothing was wrong at all. We would use an entire bottle of lub and it still hurt. Then I got my period and it was like magic.
#62 of 68 Old 04-17-2007, 12:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yep. I had a very healthy sex drive before and would have never suspected this would happen to me, but at 8 months pp I still could care less about it.
#63 of 68 Old 04-17-2007, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaK View Post
I even went to my OB to get checked out because I though something was really wrong (like I got stitched up oddly or something). She said nothing was wrong at all. We would use an entire bottle of lub and it still hurt. Then I got my period and it was like magic.
This is interesting. I wonder if it has anything to do with being earlier or later to resume menses? Sex isn't painful for me postpartum -- which is a good thing as it takes me so looong to get my period and become fertile again. With my first, I didn't get my first period 'til 21 months postpartum. With my second, I just the other day saw signs that I may be about to have my first period -- at 25 months postpartum.

But I never have any dryness, even when I'm infertile. I wonder what THAT'S all about? For moms that have dryness -- do you tend to be early or late to resume menstruation and fertility? I'm just curious.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#64 of 68 Old 04-17-2007, 01:56 PM

I only have one baby but my period did not come back until 24 months postpartum. I don't have regular periods yet two months later.
#65 of 68 Old 04-17-2007, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaK View Post
I only have one baby but my period did not come back until 24 months postpartum. I don't have regular periods yet two months later.
It took me a long time to get regular, too.

Susan -- married unschoolin' WAHMomma to two lovely girls (born 2000 and 2005).
#66 of 68 Old 04-18-2007, 03:53 AM

oh my it didn't occur to me that this might be why i haven't wanted to have sex. i have NO desire none at all wich is way out of the norm for me...does i also feel differently about my dh just not at tollerant really to him being moody...gosh i just didn't make the connection
#67 of 68 Old 04-18-2007, 08:52 AM

As many of you probably know, the hormone involved in breastfeeding is prolactin, whic acts on the sex hormones and cuass lower libido.
Of course exhaustion doesn't help - anyone.
Some would say that this is natures way of ensuring that the woman doesn't get pregnant again. Which doesn't explain why some women get pregnant again quickly, or why hormonal contraceptives don't cause a lower libido when a women cannot get pregnant, except ina small minority of cases. Or indeed a women can have a very high libido in the third trimester, when she is already pregnant.
Of course in other situation, medication could be perscribed to help with this but with a breatfeeding mother it is so important to be careful about interfering with hormone levels and milk supply.
I don't mean to be indelicate but I would respectfully suggest tho' that for any mother, who has not had tears or stitches and who is too sore - and I don't mean just having lubrication problems - after the 6 month point, that she seek medical advice.
bumperbee, firstly congratulations and to answer your query - I was on hormonal contraceptives for over 10 years and they never affected my sex drive, so I can't really give an opinion on that, sorry.
For me, unless I was actually sore, I have from time to time said yes, even tho I wasn't in the mood but my DH reckons if I'm not in the mood, then it's his job to get me in the mood!
I think there is difference with having a low libido - i.e. sex drive and not wanting any physical intimacy with your partner. It is the latter too, I think which can cause upsets and tensions.
Bear in mind tho that there are other ways to become intimate, sexually with your patner in a way that wil make you both feel connected and relaxed. Sorry, probably TMI.

On a final note tho' do please get your thyroid levels checked. A dip is normal post-partum but if does not resume to normal levels it can have a SERIOUS effect on libido as well as energy levels. I KNOW this for a reality.
#68 of 68 Old 04-18-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavinaT View Post
Which doesn't explain why some women get pregnant again quickly,
Oh see I think this makes perfect sense. People are not all exactly the same - it's called natural selection. So back in the day when we didn't have great nutrition or access to medicine, women who got prenant again quickly might not have survived the second pregnancy/childbirth. A good way to weed out women whose bodies don't naturally space 18 months - 2 years, which even today is considered to be the healthiest spacing for prenancies.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page