Still no menstrual cycle... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-09-2007, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok...so I've read that it's completely normal to not have your period while breastfeeding. My son is 14 1/2 months old, and still no period. My husband's two sisters (I'm pretty close with both of them) are just all freaked out by this. They cannot be convinced that it's fine. They seem to think that there is all this blood just sitting in my uterus rotting or something. I can't think of anything to get them to leave me alone about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2007, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahlorrain View Post
Ok...so I've read that it's completely normal to not have your period while breastfeeding. My son is 14 1/2 months old, and still no period. My husband's two sisters (I'm pretty close with both of them) are just all freaked out by this. They cannot be convinced that it's fine. They seem to think that there is all this blood just sitting in my uterus rotting or something. I can't think of anything to get them to leave me alone about it.

my DS will turn 17 months this week. my period came back (first time) about a week and a half ago. i have friends who got theirs back within the first four months. every person's experience is different. i wouldn't worry about it, just enjoy your "time off"

Mommy to a wonderfully passionate little one
Old 04-09-2007, 08:36 PM

It's normal. I went 16 months without getting mine. Then I had one period, and got pregnant.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I appreciate your responses. I'll just tell them to bug off, lol.
Old 04-09-2007, 10:12 PM

Mine didn't come back until 2 weeks after DS's 2nd birthday. We prevented for a few months, and got pg literally about 10 minutes after we started trying. It couldn't have screwed up my uterus too much!
Old 04-09-2007, 10:36 PM

My closest friend is freaked out by me not getting a period, too. She's always asking "what does your doctor say about that?" I just tell her my doc said it's fine. I actually haven't even been to the doc since my 6 week check up and DS is now 17.5 months old.

I've read of so many women on here that don't get theirs back until between 18-24 months, so I don't think it's odd at all.

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
Old 04-09-2007, 11:55 PM

I wondered about this too, but I think that it is an evolution typ ething, so that we can feed our babies while they are babies (ie under 3 years old) without having to build another baby. Of course, all these 'problems' are 'solved' with formula. LOL

Kate: fumbling through the best years with W, L, F & V...newest arrival coming Jan '11
Old 04-10-2007, 12:29 AM

My ds is 15 months old and no period yet either. I don't miss it and hope it stays away as long as possible! I hope that doesn't send it looking for me: just because I said that. lol
Old 04-10-2007, 12:34 AM

I haven't had a bleed since before I was pregnant with my son who was born Dec 2005. I conceived my next son (due to arrive in August) when my first son was almost a year old. No period in between. This is very common when you're nursing.

Do consider yourself to be fertile now though (even VERY fertile, in some cases). If you're not ready for another one, be careful! (This may seem like a no brainer but...it's worth mentioning.

No worries, mama!
Old 04-10-2007, 01:35 PM

Mine came back at 17 months, but some women go longer and it can be normal.

That's really odd what your SIL's think! Just let them know that when your body is ready to ovulate/menstruate again when your hormones even out, things will come out. Nothing is building up because your body isn't producing the hormones necessary in the right order/amounts to thicken the lining. If there is some build-up without ovulation, that is where 'break-through' bleeding occurs (seems like an AF, but since there was no O, not a real cycle)- it won't just sit in there! Ask them if they think it's weird or unhealthy when post-menopausal women don't have periods. Similar thing going on there- your hormones are not in 'fertility' mode.

ETA: Also, the break our bodies get from nursing for long periods of time is actually good for us- reducing breast and ovarian cancer risks, among other benefits.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:53 PM

Quote:
You can also tell them that research has shown that with ecological breastfeeding, the AVERAGE return of fertility is 14.5 months, so you are actually just getting to the average time now, not even past average! If they know tons of moms who are on the much shorter end, then they have to understand that in order for that to be the average, there must be plenty of moms on the much longer end.

Kerriintactlact.gif blessed single mama to Teresa 8/2/02blahblah.gif, Madeleine 5/28/04dust.gif, Andrew 6/25/06jammin.gif, and Isabelle ribboncesarean.gif11/27/08energy.gif

Old 04-10-2007, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BundleFishMama View Post
You can also tell them that research has shown that with ecological breastfeeding, the AVERAGE return of fertility is 14.5 months, so you are actually just getting to the average time now, not even past average! If they know tons of moms who are on the much shorter end, then they have to understand that in order for that to be the average, there must be plenty of moms on the much longer end.
Thanks for that!! I'll have to give em that one. I'm also considered saying "Hey, it's not my fault you're jealous I don't have to deal with my period every month!"
Old 04-10-2007, 02:58 PM

I didn't get my AF back until Elle was 22 months old.

Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

Old 04-10-2007, 03:07 PM

12m pp here and I don't miss it. my previous was until weaning then 1 cycle followed by pregnancy.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:57 PM

I got AF back at 22 months.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhr1406 View Post
My ds is 15 months old and no period yet either. I don't miss it and hope it stays away as long as possible! I hope that doesn't send it looking for me: just because I said that. lol
: except ds is just 14 months today!!

April
Mama to and
Old 04-11-2007, 08:47 PM

I got mine back at 23 months and got pregnant 18 days later - so no problems with my uterus here.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:03 AM

That's hilarious, my friend just did that! I wouldn't mind that either. My daughter is 14 months and still no period. I miss being pregnant though. Must live vicariously through my four million friends who are pregnant right now!
Old 04-17-2007, 09:39 AM

my babe is 22 months and still no af here either. i was starting to get a little worried about it, just because i want to get pregnant again, but i am just going to let things unfold as they will. i tried (half heartedly) to wean, but it was just too traumatizing and it didn't feel right, so we are still nursing pretty strong.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:12 PM

I recommend you tell your SILs to read "Breastfeeding and Natural Child Spacing" by Sheila Kippley. There is absolutely nothing abnormal about delayed return of periods when breastfeeding as described in this book. Too many women are ignorant about how their bodies work, and your post is a perfect example. So help educate them!
Old 04-17-2007, 02:06 PM
jmo

My dd id 19.5 months and still no af. Most of my girlfriends seemed to get theirs back around 16 months or so but I'm still waiting. I keep thinking any day now.....

J, mama to H (8/05) and F (3/09)
Old 04-17-2007, 02:21 PM

With dc#1, I started bleeding at 6 months
With dc#2, I started bleeding at 17 months
With dc#3, I started bleeding at about 19 months (I lost count but it was a long time).

Everyone is different and every pregnancy is different.

Mama to three small people; wife to one big person; pet-person to cats and dogs..."Be the change you want to see in the world"-- Gandhi
Old 04-17-2007, 02:22 PM

I had one period after weaning my daughter on her third birthday, then I got pregnant. Conceiving my next child was the motivation for weaning since I was not ovulating while breast feeding. It's perfectly normal, and also a nice break! If I nurse my next one till he or she is three, that will be be nearly eight years with only one period (including the pregnancies)! Of course I know many women who nursed their babies exclusivly and still had their periods, so we aren't all so fortunate. Enjoy!
Old 04-17-2007, 06:45 PM

wow. it's been so nice to read all of this. my daughter'll be 2 in may & i still haven't gotten my period. i'm assuming it's because we still nurse so much, but i was starting to wonder if something was wrong! good thing...
cristy may
mama to sequoia (24mo)
Old 04-17-2007, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
This may be OT, but I wonder if your SIL's have any children of their own yet, or if so, how long they nursed for.

I personally am guessing one of three things:

Neither of them have any children.
or
Neither of them nursed very long.
or
Neither of them went longer than a few months without AF even with extended nursing.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 04-18-2007, 05:29 AM

27 months since I had my daughter and no period yet. I'm not worried in the slightest. It was 23 months after my son before I got it back. Just enjoy not having to worry about it
Old 04-18-2007, 12:01 PM

using hormonal contreption will give you a 'synthetic' period (if you know what I mean) if you're not TTC but this may dramatically affect your milk supply and I understand that there are certain medication which will bring it on, if you really want to THAT much but maybe a nursing Mum has enough to think about other than remembering to buy tampons and where the spare diva cup is!
Old 04-18-2007, 01:31 PM

Forgot to sub :
Old 04-19-2007, 04:01 AM

Typical, I answer last night I do not have it back yet, and this morning it is here! I should not have said anything
Old 04-19-2007, 07:43 PM

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/fertility.html

Chance of pregnancy is practically zero during the first three months, less than 2% between 3 and 6 months, and about 6% after 6 months (assuming mom's menstrual periods have not yet returned).
The average time for the return of menstrual periods is 14.6 months.
Moms whose cycles return early tend to be infertile for the first few cycles. Moms whose cycles return later are more likely to ovulate before their first period.

My DD is 8 months tomorrow, and no signs here. I'd be surprised to get it this early.

SAHM to flower.gif DD1 8/06 , loveeyes.gif DD2 8/09 , and bfinfant.gifDD3 9/12  married to geek.gif 6/99.  We homeschool.gif, cd.gif, homebirth.jpg, familybed2.gif, and lots of wash.gif and dishes.gif.

User Tag List