Low production or is he weaning? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 66 Old 04-27-2007, 09:13 AM
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i can´t force him to ONLY nurse. i first offer him the breast, but he sometimes pushes me away and points to his water.

Oh, darling. It MAY be strike, or he MAY be done nursing. The best thing you can do is keep up your supply until you know for sure, and then WHATEVER the result is, know you k=have a beautiful child who loves you dearly.

Signed, a mom who nursed one until he weaned at 2.5, another who self-weaned at 15 months, and third who's still going. LISTEN TO YOUR BABY.
#62 of 66 Old 04-27-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paakbaak View Post
he´s been drinking water in an open cup all day! yes, i´m doing what i can and so is he. he´s nursed twice today, so that´s good. thanks!
That's wonderful - keep at it!

~Marie : Mom to DS(11), DS(10), DD(8), DD(4), DD(2), & Happily Married to DH 12 yrs.!
#63 of 66 Old 04-27-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alegna View Post
Okay- I might consider it child led IF there were:

no sippys
no pacifiers
no bottles
no other milk
no spoon feeding.

Any of those can contribute to early weaning (as can change or addition to mom's medications or new foods in her diet or pregnancy)

-Angela
didn't do ANY those above. No spoonfeeding except i HELPED HIM use the spoon to feed yogurt. everything else is finger foods. Was actually concerned he wasn't self feeding more than ahandful perday. by the way he is a chunky one! This week he has been ravenous, however, eating TONS of good foods. Not pregnant just took a test two days ago...no medications...no change in diet. i eat very healthy as to be a role model for DS.

Marie... you don't irritate me! you and angela are the cheerleaders of MDC for extended breastfeeding and that's great. i appreciate your dedication and lactivisim. But i do think you need to realize that there are babes that don't enjoy nursing. You don't realize how sad i get going to the airport or walking to the park and seeing moms happily breastfeeding. OH I'M HAPPY they are nursing, but sad that since birth its been a struggle to get my little guy to nurse. It had to be in one room, dark, white noise, same pillow or it wasn't going to happen. Never. at any age. I hope, oh i HOPE My next one is just in love with my boobs and cuddles and snuggles and we have that relationship i hear about but have never experienced. i am proud of us for doing it this long as we had painful thrush for 5 months.

The sweet thing is now he is a cuddler. JUST started this week. He has replaced nursy time with reading books and snuggling before bed. i hear his little breath upon my neck as he wraps his legs around me and cuddles, and i know that we have done what is best for us.

I just want you two and others to see that it IS possible that a babe doesn't like nursing. its so sad, but its true. He took 13 ounces EBM from his sippy yesterday and as of saturday it will be one week since he sucked off me. We have weaned. I just pumped 6 ounces in less than 5 minutes (seriously) however, and i just pump twice a day and get 15 ounces for him, so we will probably keep that up since its so easy.

thanks for listening and considering that maybe, just maybe, there are unique situations like mine where he DID self wean at a mere 12 months.
#64 of 66 Old 04-27-2007, 12:01 PM

Paakbaak, I have known several babies who only nursed to sleep for over a year. Ds has been nursing only for sleep or waking up for at least a year and a half. My little sister nursed only to sleep or wake beginning at 18 months and was weaned a 3 1/2yo.So I personally feel that nursing only to sleep is NOT weaning. (especially if they don't fall asleep otherwise.)
#65 of 66 Old 04-27-2007, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zansmama View Post
Paakbaak, I have known several babies who only nursed to sleep for over a year. Ds has been nursing only for sleep or waking up for at least a year and a half. My little sister nursed only to sleep or wake beginning at 18 months and was weaned a 3 1/2yo.So I personally feel that nursing only to sleep is NOT weaning. (especially if they don't fall asleep otherwise.)
thank you for that. yeah, i think i´m calming down. i guess i needed a bit of a shake! i see that not all kids nurse the same...nobody is the same
#66 of 66 Old 04-27-2007, 03:21 PM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page