Getting a 1.5 year old back on the breast? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 07-05-2007, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it possible?

We had to stop nursing when he was 8 months old because my milk dried up (I was 3 months pregnant and just stopped producing...). DD (my first) was breastfed for 15 months, and I'd love to get my 17 month old back on, first for the benefits of it and second for the bonding. We aren't very close. : I would love it if we could have together-time now and then and restore that closeness...

Has anyone tried this with an older baby?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-06-2007, 10:42 AM

I've heard that it's difficult because they lose their natural instinct fairly quickly. You could always try it. As for the benefits, if the 1.5 year old has forgotten how to nurse, you could express some milk.

Don't worry too much about not feeling close, just yet. In my experience with my first child, she has gone through a couple of phases of being a total non-cuddler, to going back to being a total "momma suck." When she was around 2 years old, she wanted nothing to do with me, it seemed. But now she's back to wanting cuddles. We find other opportunities for closeness, like special time at bedtime where we chat and snuggle for a bit.
#3 of 3 Old 07-06-2007, 02:00 PM

There have been several recent threads on this. I seem to remember someone chiming in with a success story with an older baby / toddler. If I come across that particular thread I'll try to post back with it.

For now here is a recent similar thread. I replied to the OP with a bunch of links.

The bottom line is that it can be done but it can take a lot of persistence and effort. I get the sense that a low key, low pressure, relaxed approach may be helpful. Check out the "re-birthing" technique.

ETA - ooops, forgot the link. Here it is.
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ht=relactation

~Cath

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page