This is beyond infancy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2007, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My babe will be 12 months in less than a month.. she is sooo not ready to be weaned. How on earth did 12 months become the norm for weaning? She's very much still an infant. People ask how long we'll nurse for, and I say til she's 2 and they have never said anything bad about that. I am really just questioning why it's the norm to only nurse for 12 months. Or less, but 12 is considered the 'ideal' or something by most people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2007, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think it has to do with news reports that report stuff like the AAP saying "at least one year" as "up to one year". You know, basic illiteracy, or rather--reading comprehension problems, on the part of whomever is writing the reporters' scripts.

Beyond one year is beyond infancy, and that's okay. Toddler nursing is a goodthing, and preschooler nursing....

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 08-26-2007, 05:31 PM

Yep, it's totally crazy!

I wonder if it also has to do with the misunderstanding of breastfeeding as simply nutrition... just a good alternative to ff if you listen to some peds. I've known moms who switched from formula to cow's milk at 12 months, so someone unfamiliar with bf might assume you would do the same thing with nursing.

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
Old 08-27-2007, 02:49 AM

I'd say because that's how long maternity leave is, people just think they have to wean when they go back to work.

Also maybe the whole swithc from opfrmula to cow's milk at one year - people maybe think that if they can cope with cow's milk, then it must be a good thing.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, yeah, I don't know. I think the 'switch to cow's milk' thing at 1 year might be the kicker. That's actually the reason I decided to nurse past 1 year initially, because we're avoiding cow milk til she's 2 for allergy reasons. I laugh at the silly pre-baby me who thought she could wean her 12 month old
Old 08-28-2007, 04:44 PM

i also thought i would wean at 12 months.
my mom told me that at a year they need their independance and i will want my body to myself.
so at 12 months when i said she is so still a baby, i figured i would nuse for 18 months when i read in dr. spock that my baby would be out of the attatchmentstage.
b4 18 months i decided that there was no way i was weening b4 my dd got all her teeth in b/c i was NOT dea;ling with teething without being ableto bnurse.
So we weaned abt a year after her 2 ys molars came in.

But she still takes "a bite" occationally.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:12 AM

I don't know what I'd/we do without nursing. It is the only thing that comforts him when he is frustrated or hurts and it is the only time he stays still long enough for us to hold each other. If he wasn't nursing, my day would be so much harder!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny, mother of two boys; 7-25-06 and 7-27-08. Loving wife to Cole. I love birth! :
Old 08-30-2007, 12:53 AM

When DD turned 12 mo her ped said she NEEDED whole cow's milk and I remember being told that at least 6 mo of bfing was ideal. : (This was about 6 years ago)
We went through a case of thrush after she had abx for an ear infection, which developed into decreased nursing and milk supply and she was gradually weaned at around 13-14 months. I'm so sad that I didn't know any better.
I look at DS who is 13 mo, and I just can't imagine weaning him now!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:57 AM

DD is almost 2 and in a lot of ways I still feel like she is a baby, and needs to nurse, but maybe that's because she's my last one. I completely agree, I see a 1yo and think oh my goodness that's so little make them stop nursing.

User Tag List