Depression & extended breastfeeding - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-11-2007, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi!
I am the proud breastfeed mama of 20 month old AJ. Throughout my preganancy and since AJ birth I have suffered from bouts of depression--manifesting itself as irritablitiy, insomnia, forgetfullness, and general sense of "not happy". About four years ago I started taking 10 mg. of Lexapro and it changed my life--for the positive. I got off Lexapro about 2.5 years ago and am now wondering if I need to go back on it. I have tried some homeopathic remedies without success. I know that some studies have shown that the act breastfeeding infants is advantageous enough to continue to do so even if medication for depression is required. I am not sure if this is the same for toddlers. I was hoping to "tough it out" until AJ was 2 and then wean, but now I am thinking of weaning early so that I can get back on Lexapro.... I have desperately started working out again and doing yoga with the hope of that helping, but nothing yet.... any one else have had to deal with this???
#2 of 5 Old 09-11-2007, 10:08 PM

hey there, just wanted to offer you a hug.
I think there's a website where you can look up drugs and their safety rating for breastfeeding, have you checked that or talked to your prescribing doc about it? great that you are exercising, how is your sleep, are you getting enough?

I've had issues w/depression & anxiety after birth of ds, but it's straightened out now that I'm sleeping more.

good luck!!
#3 of 5 Old 09-12-2007, 11:38 PM

I was on antidepressants when I found out I was pregnant and weaned as soon as I found out. I had a hard time deciding whether or not I could breastfeed because of the medications. I was told to contact Dr. Jack Newman for advice. He's a breastfeeding expert in Toronto. I emailed him a list of the medications and dosages I was on and he emailed me back with his advice. Try contacting him at www.drjacknewman.com.
I also called Motherrisk, a hotline and website that gives advice regarding drugs and breastfeeding. It's run out of The Sick Children's hospital in Toronto as well. They are at www.motherisk.org
Good luck!
#4 of 5 Old 09-14-2007, 01:00 PM

I take Zoloft (50 mg), which I was told was one of the safer drugs for BFing. I switched to it from Celexa when I found out I was pregnant.
So far we're good. DD had a normal birthweight (8 lbs), normal Apgar, etc. At 18 months she has been developing perfectly, and is a healthy 29 lbs 34 in. She's also definitely not depressed! (Just kidding)
#5 of 5 Old 09-26-2007, 12:24 AM

You should reallly look into The Mood Cure by Julia Ross---here's the link: moodcure.com. And here's a great LONG discussion between lots of mamas using the supplements she recommends.:
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=195601

mama to : my spirited star 2/06, my sweet love 5/08, and a little lovey 5/12

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page