Please Help!! 1 year old horrible latch driving me NUTS!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 09-14-2007, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! sorry I dont visit this board that offten but I wanted to come here for this..............I really think I want to nurse my baby till she is 2 or so, but this last week, she turned 1, got her two top teeth which in itself would be no big deal except when I try to fix her latch she gets super mad and yanks away scraping her teeth : So...........any suggestions?? I guess I should mention, she has never had a very strong latch.....not sure how to explain a weak sucking, I call it lazy with a bit of a fluttery tongue that is quite irritating if she is just tired or comfort nursing.

Anyway this morning I got so irritated that I stopped her, gave her juice, and went and cryed: I think she might self wean if she keeps seeing me get irritated I don't really think I want her too but these last few days are really getting to me. How do fix the latch in a 1 year old

TIA for any suggestions!!

ETA: She is my 4th nursling so I am really at a loss with all my "experience"

Will add siggy soon

Nichole SAHM to Kaylan, Joseph, and Piper
#2 of 3 Old 09-14-2007, 02:38 PM

nrae74,
Wow, 4 kids. I think I've filled my quota at 2.

I have been very lucky that I haven't had any major problems. But from what I've read on these boards the trick with biting (not quite the same thing but close) is to anticipate the bite and pre-empt it by gently breaking the latch with a finger. Then firmly, but gently, say "no" or something along those lines. If you aren't fast enough you gently reprimand them with a "no". You may reach the point where you need to wait a minute or two to re-latch to reinforce the point.

It stinks because it means that you can't vegetate while reading a book or watching TV. But the key is consistent, gentle persistence.

Good luck, ~Cath
#3 of 3 Old 09-14-2007, 02:48 PM

I had a similar experience with my dd, still do on occasion. I tell her 'Hun, your teeth are hurting momma. I need you to let go and try again so you can have some milk.' It took a few times for her to totally understand and sometimes we would have to re-latch 5 or 6 times to get comfortable. Now (at 16 months) she completely understands what we are doing and is not concerned that her milk is being taken away. If I am getting overly irritated I tell her 'The nah-nah's need a short break' and I play with her for 3-5 minutes then try again. For my dd the key is knowing that its just a break and she can have more milk in a few moments. When my lil one is tired, just gotten hurt, or sick none of these methods work.

HTH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page