16 month old not gaining..... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-21-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My daughter is 16 months old, 22 pounds and hasn't gained more than a few ounces since her birthday. She gained most of her weight (20 pounds of it) before she was 6 months old. She was interested in solids for awhile, (6-12 months), but now she really isn't into eating anything but a few bites of food each day and nursing.

She is meeting all her developmental milestones - she uses lots of words (at least 30), and is starting to put 2 words together (i.e. "nurse now," "nurse snack," "dog outside."). She is walking, running and climbing well. She looks healthy.

I took her to the doctor the other day for other reasons, but we didn't weigh her, and the doctor didn't ask about it or seem concerned. I'm a little bit worried about my ability to nourish her mostly with my breastmilk at this time. Am I having supply problems? Should I try and encourage more solids? Do all of you think this this normal?
#2 of 8 Old 09-22-2007, 02:09 PM

Normal. My dd barely gained anything in her toddler years, and she's perfectly healthy. Weight gain slows waaaaaaaay down at about that age.
#3 of 8 Old 09-22-2007, 04:25 PM

My dd is almost 18 mo and has done the same thing, but she only weighs 20lbs. I have been having the same concerns, but from what I can tell it's "normal".
#4 of 8 Old 09-22-2007, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. I feel better now. Intellectually, I know that the weight gain charts include formula fed children who change the way the growth curve looks, but I just automatically worry when I see her weight falling off of her curve....
#5 of 8 Old 09-23-2007, 08:44 PM

My son did the same thing.
#6 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 01:35 AM

If my DD weighed 22 lbs, I'd be ecstatic!

At her 15m well-baby check my DD was 16.1lbs. And that was a gain of 5-6oz in 3 months. We've run just about every test we can (thyroid, malabsorption, CF, celiac disease) and she's perfectly normal.

I'm nursing 4-6 times a day and she gets solids and cow's milk. Honestly, she's not interested in eating at all so I'm hoping that a combination of all 3 will at least maintain her weight since she's barely packing on any pounds (we're counting ounces at this point).

I'm a small person (5'3" and 105lbs), DH is a small person (5'9" and 150lbs) and DS is also a small person (42" and 32lbs at age 4) so she's tracking along with the rest of the family.

She's hitting all her milestones, is bilingual and signing. She's also running, never sits and climbs like a monkey.

Soo... I'm trying to not worry. But it's hard. Add teething pain to that and we're getting zero foods in her -- I've started counting every bite she takes. It's making me crazy!
#7 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 04:35 AM

Read the book MY Child Won't Eat!

Timmy's Mommy WARNINGyslexic typing with help of preschooler, beware of typos
#8 of 8 Old 09-25-2007, 08:43 AM

My son is 16 months as well. He is eating solids in addition to breastfeeding but also hasn't gained much during the last 6 months.
He's just so active right now and I am attributing it to him buring the calories right off.
He is super tall and heavy though: 34 inches and 29 pounds - so it will be awhile until I am going to get concerned about him withering away...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page