CONSTANT nursing? CONSTANT night nursing? Why?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2007, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The title pretty much says it. DD is 23 months old and I literally can't walk by her without her dropping what she's doing and flinging herself on me, demanding to nurse. Sometimes she stalks me (yes, I try to be absent sometimes, esp. when my Ns are sore as anything).

Nighttime? Oh, sure, she wakes once or twice...for a multiple hour nursing marathon : She dozes, I try to unlatch, she fusses and cries, I give up and let her. My back is just toast. Neck pain. Numb arms. We cosleep with dad and a 4 yr old otherwise I might CIA.

I'm losing weight again. Our nursing relationship is quickly souring and I am beginning to resent it. She's not eating as much solid food as she gets nutrition and is satiated from nursing, and SHE is losing some fat.

Late teether, no dietary issues, no allergies. I'm saddened to think it's psychological and hoping it's developmental.

Someone please tell me it's developmental before I get in the car and check into a hotel for a good nights' sleep..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2007, 01:16 AM

Ohhhh Mama. You don't like the multi-hour sessions in the middle of the night??

The only thing I can suggest that may actually help is wearing a heavier shirt at night that's not as easy to flip up. Then try rubbing her back and soothing her that way. My DS is close to the same age and I may have rolled on my stomach a couple times and told him that it was all gone.

As far as the daytime - maybe she wants to know she can nurse, even if she doesn't really need to. I would try picking her up and giving her a deep hug with pressure on her hips, etc. then when she tries to hop down let her go. Do this every time YOU walk by her. This helped with my DD#2.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:40 PM

I'm dealing with something very similar with my 18 month old. It's sooo fusterating and I hate that I'm starting to resent nursing her as well. It's at least getting better at night since I started making her sit up and suport herself if she wants to nurse at night. It's cut it down from 10 times a night to 2-4 times a night. The first few nights were rough because she would get upset but after that she started sleeping longer stretches. It's getting to the point that all I have to say is if you want boobies you have to sit up and she'll turn over and go back to sleep. When it became an inconvince to her she stopped nursing as much at night. Now if I could just do something about the wanting boobies every 10-30 minutes during the day.

Israel, mom to  DD, Ivy, 4-27-06 :and DS, Kai, 12-29-07 and DD, Lilith 2-1-10 and always remembering Alice fullterm stillborn 08/31/11 (unexplained placental abruption) 

Old 10-22-2007, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Gals - these are two sets of fabulous ideas that I've never heard before! Just when I thought I heard it all...thank you!
Old 10-22-2007, 03:35 AM

I had the same experience with my DS1 whose 26 months. He still nurses at night (Argh!). During the day I would just distract him or say "milk all done". When we are out, he would try to lift my shirt and I would say "No, only in bed."

Maybe try saying No more often during the day and not give in. They are easily distracted!
Old 10-24-2007, 10:17 PM

I am so glad to hear I am not alone in this! I have been going through this with my DS who is 20 months. He went from waking up 2-3 times a night, nursing for about 5 minutes and going back to sleep to waking so much I just either lay in bed with him or bring him back into mine (we did the family bed, but he tossed and turned sooo much we transitioned him to a toddler bed at 12 months) if I stop nursing him he will scream! It is horrible, my nipples are sooo sore! He also uses a pacifier "nana" so what I have been doing is nursing him for about 5 minutes like I used to, then offer him his nana, he gets mad for about a minute, then I think he realizes that "adaside" (nursing) is all done and he takes his nana and goes to sleep. I do hope it passes soon though!
Old 10-24-2007, 11:44 PM

We are at 22mo and DD has been permenetly attached to my breasts for a few weeks now. When it gets cold and her asthma acts up, or other health or developmental reasons-She nurses day and night. I am exausted, but know that right now, since she wont eat anything and wants me for comfort and nutrition(which is sooo wierd to me)I kinda feel good. i was missing that need for awhile-kinda sad that she was only nursing like 2x a day...:
Thought that she might be close to done, then this:24/7 stuff...
Its all a matter of waves and phases

Mom to Bouncy Breastfed fly-by-nursing1.gifDD energy.gifLoving Woman to DH, RIP DS Born at 22 weeks  ribbonpb.gif

Old 10-26-2007, 12:38 PM

Another here. i'm so tired, sore back, cranky. I realized yesterday he has been getting his molers so thats likely part of it. I just need more sleep. Daytime is ok, as he does space out a little on sessions.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:13 PM

Wow Im glad I found this thread! I thought it was just me...that I maybe something wasnt right with my dd and I...that I wanted breastfeeding to last so long that maybe ive created a monster

Shes 23 months now and everytime I sit down, she thinks its ninnymuggins time. I love nursing, dont get me wrong. I absolutely love it. But every 5 minutes? I can do without every 5 minutes. When she was a newborn, I relished every minute of nursing, every 5 minutes or not. But she needed it and had no teeth and I was relaxing. Its been almost 2 years of nursing every half hour! I dont necessarily want to wean, but I want her to cut down. I dont think she nurses in the middle of the night--i dont wake up but I have no idea if she does or not, she knows where it is and has access to it all night long. But when i wake up around 6am, shes latched on, fine. I fall back asleep a bit and an hour and a half later SHES STILL LATCHED!!!! I think im creating a ninny-monster. when we are out, usually she will not ask, though yesterday while waiting at her sister's dance class, she curled into position and cried for ninnymuggins, and I told her it was empty. She didnt like that answer and tried to pull up my shirt so we got up and went for a walk which she liked. But usually she never asks while we are out. If I distract her she sometimes will be fine...but most times she will cry and carry on if I say no...after 15 min of crying, I give in. I dont want to take it away from her...but I want to limit it to 3 times a day. Shes been doing something new too---saying "Im hungry, ninnymuggins?" She eats, but shes picky sometimes, though this morning she ate 2 bowls of oatmeal which is NOT like her. But I wonder if shes substituting ninny for food? RIght now she wants juice (just asked for ninny and i hugged her like someone had mentioned above and then tickled her--then she said "Hungry, juice please.") well at least i dont feel like im alone here

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!

User Tag List