Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious
#2 of 10 Old 11-03-2007, 12:09 AM

I started after they were eating enough food to make a difference in their diets, around 10 to 11 months for DS, more like 13 I think for DD.

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#3 of 10 Old 11-03-2007, 12:33 AM

I offered water with every meal soon as DS started solids.
#4 of 10 Old 11-03-2007, 02:25 AM

I started offering water in a sippy cup when we started table foods around 7-8 months. I don't think she really drank much more than a couple sips until 10 months.
#5 of 10 Old 11-03-2007, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
the same with all the other pps- when she started experiencing solids- but she always loved my glass and would chew/slobber on it and thought water was great. So I'm thrilled that she will drink water with pleasure now. (water is important when they start eating solids more as it helps their kidneys)

born to be a mom to Lilah Rose at home on 7-18-06 and a cranky wife to Johnny 12-05 ::
Home birth to Eirwen Claire on 1-06-11
#6 of 10 Old 11-03-2007, 10:00 AM

I didn't really have any thoughts one way or the other on the matter- but DD did! When we started offering solids around 6 months she would just STARE at me as I would drink a glass of water and grab out and reach for it. So I let her have a sip.... and now I can not have a glass of water without giving her some. She LOVES it. No sippy cup for her- she wants the real thing.

I think she's getting through her cold better because of a combo of breastfeeding and water (obviously more credit to the breastmilk, but water is good for her system as well!).

Pretty much with everything for DD we have followed her lead.
#7 of 10 Old 11-03-2007, 11:51 AM

Around 6 months.

-Angela
#8 of 10 Old 11-04-2007, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsayjean View Post

Pretty much with everything for DD we have followed her lead.
This is what I've always done too. The reason that I was asking, is that my baby is 11 months old, eats some food (the equivalent of about half of a small quesadilla or half of a piece of fruit per day, plus assorted tidbits that he takes from what I'm eating) and obviously still nurses a lot. He hasn't asked for, tried to grab or otherwise indicated interest when we drink so I didn't think anything about it.

The other day I saw a baby about his age and the mom handed him a sippy cup so I started thinking about it. I can't for the life of me remember when I started giving drinks to my other kids (the next youngest is 10).

He still has lots and lots of pees, they are clear and odorless (we partially EC so I have opportunity to see his urine) and his lips are never chapped despite the extremely dry climate in which we live.

Long story short, I'm not inclined to offer until he gets interested, but I wanted to see what others had to say
#9 of 10 Old 11-04-2007, 03:48 AM

Around 6 mos when DS kept grabbing the water bottle from me
#10 of 10 Old 11-04-2007, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I started giving my kids sips from my water glass around 4mo or so. Not every day, and not more than a sip or two at a time. I was always drinking water while caring for them so it was natural for them to reach for it and want to try it out.

I always offered water at meals when we started solids. Not that they always drank much, or even drank more than they dumped on the high chair tray, but I offered it.

Now all 3 of my kids are big water drinkers.

ETA: there's nothing wrong with NOT offering water if your baby isn't interested. A 10mo can get plenty of fluids from breastmilk alone.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page