Anyone else have to wean due to tooth decay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-21-2007, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jonah is 18 months old. I nursed my other 2 boys for 2-1/2 years. However, Jonah's teeth are decaying really badly. I've already night weaned (I nurse him to sleep -wipe his teeth, and then nurse again about 6am -wipe his teeth), and I've limited nursing during the day. They already pulled his top two middle teeth, and now the next top 2 teeth are getting really bad.
Is there anything I can do? I hate to wean, but he's not going to have any teeth left. Is there any other reason for the decay? Is there anything I can try? I don't allow fluoride, due to it's toxicity. We brush with xylitol toothpaste. He hardly has any food with sugar. It's 2 more weeks until they can do the work he needs on these other 2 teeth. At the rate they are decaying, they might have to pull them by then. Just in the last 3 days they have several holes, chips, and are brown. HELP!!!!

The thing that started the decay this time was when he got really sick. He was throwing up every 15 minutes for 6 hours, and then about every 1-2 hours after that. He had a lot of stomach acid coming up, and I think that might be what destroyed these other 2 teeth so bad. But now that they are starting to decay,....they are going fast. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2007, 07:09 PM

It sounds like things are hard right now.

I wasn't aware that breastfeeding caused tooth decay. Have you seen Dr. Brian Palmer's website?
(http://www.brianpalmerdds.com/caries.htm)

I'd be worried that weaning may not help the teeth, and you and your baby would lose all the other health benefits of breastfeeding with the weaning.

Hopefully some other moms will have some BTDT stories that didn't include weaning.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for that link!! I'm a huge breastfeeding advocate, and I've always stuck to my guns that breastfeeding does not cause tooth decay. But this is child #3 with tooth decay. I keep thinking I'm doing something better that will prevent it, such as no-sugar diet, no juice, etc.....but this baby has the worst decay yet!!

I found an article that talks about nutritional deficiencies (a mothering article!!) So, I'm going to add in Vit. D, Vit. C, calcium, fish liver oil, and maybe butter (we are all on a gluten (wheat) free and casein (dairy) free diet). The GFCF diet is probably the reason for some of the deficiencies of certain nutrients.

Here is the link:
http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr.../cavities.html

Here is part of the article:
Over the years, Spence has treated tooth decay in young patients with vitamin D therapy. "I have seen soft teeth harden after cod liver oil and lots of butter are added to the diet." Sunshine, cod-liver oil, fortified dairy products, butter, eggs, liver, and oily fish like salmon and tuna are sources of vitamin D. (Since vitamin D is toxic at high levels and is stored in body fat, the RDA of 400 IUs should not be exceeded.)

"Our teeth naturally re-mineralize themselves with the calcium in our own saliva," Spence says. "We can assist this process by eating vitamin D-rich foods, which increase the absorption of calcium." Because fluoride is a neurotoxin and inhibits the absorption of calcium, Spence recommends against fluoride treatments. He also advises his patients to avoid sugar, on which the ECC bacteria thrive.

Spence's nutritional suggestions are supported by a 1996 study that found that a combination of vitamin D, vitamin C, and calcium reversed early decay in children at the white lesion stage.22 And according to the NIDCR website, "Supplementing with vitamins during the first several years of life reduces the prevalence of linear enamel hypoplasia, a caries-associated condition common in lower-income populations that can increase the risk of caries as much as tenfold."23 According to an article in the Journal of Pediatrics, nutritional rickets, a result of a dietary deficiency of vitamin D, is making a comeback in the US, especially among dark-skinned infants--the same infants who are most at-risk for epidemic levels of ECC, according to the CDC, and the least likely to be breastfed, according to LLLI.24
Old 11-21-2007, 08:17 PM

I have 3 and they have all had tooth decay..i weaned my oldest at 6 months. It has nothing to do with bf at ALL. Please dont wean because of tooth decay. Can you imagine how worse off your kids teeth would be if you didnt bf? It could be in your genes or because of vax's or other outside factors. We had to spend over $1800 to have crowns put on ds#3 because of decay. He still bf 24/7 and at night. And he's 3 y/o. i have not limited his bf because of decay. Please read in the dental forum and you will get lots of info on tooth decay and healing it naturally.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
Old 11-21-2007, 08:25 PM

please dont wean your ds, there is no evidence to prove the breastfeeding is causing any of this damage, and noone can say if you wean it will stop. If any time in his life he needs it, its now, having teeth have work done is very tramatic and he needs his comfort of mamas milk.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:39 AM

I was reading an old article in mothering just the other day about that. And one of the things they talked about was if the mother had issues of periodontal disease then that could be passed on to the child. The idea was that this was a possible source of caries not ex bf. Keep on BF.

Laura mama to Caitlyn 12/26/06 and Frenchie dh non vaccing unschooling multilingual family
Old 11-22-2007, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

I think what is passed from mother to child is the bacteria that causes the decay. If Mom has a huge load of strep, then the baby will have it too. I also have lyme disease, and that was passed to the baby. Lyme disease is one of the bacterias that contributes to tooth decay. I think if you have all of those bacterias in the mouth, then the sugary milk doesn't help things. I'm going to try the extra vitamins and see if I can get those teeth stronger. I'll limit the breastfeeding for now, and continue to wipe the teeth.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:54 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
If your baby can't have cow's or goat's milk, and you wean before 2 or 3 years old, your child will be at risk of malnutrition- which can lead to even worse tooth decay.

I think that your baby has tooth decay IN SPITE OF breastfeeding, not because of it.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 11-23-2007, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB's Mom View Post
I think what is passed from mother to child is the bacteria that causes the decay. If Mom has a huge load of strep, then the baby will have it too.
It's not that she has a huge load, it's if she has the particular bug - Streptococcus mutans

Any food has sugars that are going to be used as food by the bugs, and breastmilk actually has immune factors that will limit or kill the bugs in the mouth, unlike other foods or drinks (lysozyme, macrophages, IgA, etc)
Old 11-23-2007, 05:59 AM

i am subbing for this

one love

Old 11-23-2007, 03:08 PM

I'm subbing.
Ds has decay as well, but I feel that it is genetic and he would have decay whether he was breastfed of formula or just reg cows milk.
They tryed to tell me to nightwean, but I refused because ds is such a healthy guy (dispite the teeth) and I feel nightnursing is helping that. There's no way I'd wean all together because of his teeth.
My problem with dentists is they think it's not genetic, they think I don't brush at all, they think its soley because of the breastfeeding.

So I basically disagree with them.
We have an appointment for a naturopath to help heal his teeth.

75% Crunchy 25% Smooth
Raising 2 peanuts. #3 due in June bellyhair.gif

Old 11-23-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawncayden View Post
I'm subbing.
Ds has decay as well, but I feel that it is genetic and he would have decay whether he was breastfed of formula or just reg cows milk.
:Yeah My oldest ds had severe cavities and was weaned at around 16 months, and he didn't even have any molars at that time (which is where most of the caries were). My youngest, who is still nursing at night, is 3 and he has had caries on his front teeth, but his molars so far are cavity-free. His top front tooth emerged from the gum with a spot on it. By 1 year old, he had to have dental work. In our case, I absolutely feel it is genetic.

User Tag List