BF'ing 20 mo & birth control pill - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-29-2008, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Kiara is 20 months old, and nurses 2-4 times a day. Typically first thing in the morning and right before bed. Sometimes she nurses more than 4 times a day by adding afternoon and evening snacks.

3 months ago I went on Seasonique birth control pill - dr said it'd be ok with nursing a much older child and have little to no impact.

Well I hate the Seasonique pill for many reasons, but I finally am thinking it's also my problem with reduced supply (why it took this long to figure out I'm not sure since I *know* this is possible).

About 2 months ago my breasts shrunk in size greatly (like pre pregnancy/nursing boobies). My milk supply went down too. I've had other physiological issues. Headaches, extreme fatigue, moodiness, etc. Obviously I need to get off this pill.

My main reason for being on the pill is to skip periods aside from pregnancy prevention. I can't stand periods, they make me such a miserable person. Is there another birth control pill I'd be able to take that would bring my nursing relationship back to normal? I'm worried this pill won't stop her nursing entirely! I tried Micronor after having Hunter, which didn't work too well for me (how we ended up with Kiara LOL).

Any experience with this? IUD is not an option, nor is the shot. Just hoping for another version of a pill. Only thing I looked into was Yasmin.
#2 of 5 Old 01-29-2008, 10:27 AM

What I would do is compare the seasonal pill you are taking now with other pills available. First I would ask your health care provider what pills have the fewest side effects and go from there on your search since there are so many birth control pills available.

The info your doctor gave you is accurate but as always there are exceptions.

So to start you need to know seasonique is lovenorgesterel/ethinyl estradiol tabs @ .15mg/ .03mg and ethinyl estradiol tabs @ .01 mg.

Ortho Micronor is 0.35 mg norethindrone. Not sure if you had the same side effects or didn't take it properly or other?
#3 of 5 Old 01-29-2008, 12:46 PM

Well, this won't guarantee skipped periods (though periods may be delayed/light if your endometrium is already thin), but FWIW....

I've been taking the mini-pill (progestin only) since DD was 6 mos. old. She's 22 mos. now, still nursing, and the pill has not affected my suppy at all.

Christine , wife of Ron , mama to Tony (4-25-03) and Maria (3-19-06) :
#4 of 5 Old 01-29-2008, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tine View Post
Well, this won't guarantee skipped periods (though periods may be delayed/light if your endometrium is already thin), but FWIW....

I've been taking the mini-pill (progestin only) since DD was 6 mos. old. She's 22 mos. now, still nursing, and the pill has not affected my suppy at all.
Me too - I have been taking Errin (a mini-pill, progestin-only) since DD was a baby, too. I haven't had my period at all, and it hasn't affected supply or anything else.

I would definitely talk to your doctor about other options. There are so many different types of pills out there.
#5 of 5 Old 01-29-2008, 05:24 PM

Have you looked into Nuvaring? I *think* you can skip periods by using it continuously. There will still be added hormones in your system, but it is designed to mainly work locally, so there will not be nearly as much as with oral contraceptives.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page