Extended Nursing and Lactation Amennorhea survey - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all!

I'm wanting to do some informal research on the different factors that influence lactational amennorhea (absence of periods while breastfeeding) so I thought that I'd post a survey here to get more info from mama's who've BTDT. (I'm almost 19 months postpartum without AF)

So here goes:

1. How long have you been nursing for?

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned?

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned?

4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices.

5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often?

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often?

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings?

8. How old was your child when you started solids?

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day)

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly?

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser?

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding?

13. Do you eat meat, dairy, or eggs?

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional?

15. If you're vegetarian, do you buy mainly organic produce?

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Here's my answers on the survey as an example:

1. How long have you been nursing for? Almost 19 months

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? Haven't returned yet.

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned? N/A

4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices. Full-time until 15 months old, unsuccessfully tried to night-wean, now doing partial co-sleeping (in crib first and then into bed) and nursing 1-3 times at night.

5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? Only briefly, never got very interested in them.

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? No.

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? On demand, except for a brief period where I tried to get her to nurse at more predictable times.

8. How old was your child when you started solids? Tried a few things between 6-9 months, officially started for good at 9 months old.

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) 15 months old.

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly? Still isn't that big of a water drinker! But maybe 1 year+ when she started drinking more.

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser? Very much a comfort nurser.

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? About 5'5" and 135 lbs.

13. Do you eat meat, dairy, or eggs? No. Used to eat dairy and eggs, but currently don't.

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional? N/A

15. If you're vegetarian, do you buy mainly organic produce? I wish. We get some organic, but not as much as I'd like.

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often? Yes, a least a couple times a day.
#3 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 01:59 PM

29 months
9.5 months
I chart, and was ovulating late for many periods when they first returned, they seemed to have evened out within the last couple of months.
4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices.
Yes for 7 months, then part time for a month, then No. I noticed that my menses returned shortly after we transitioned out of cosleeping.
5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? No, not really. She played with them, that is it.

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? I am a full time WOHM and so DD had bottles M-F from 7:30 am to 4:30 pm. THere was also some supplementation at the beginning (weeks three and four) and pumping and feeding expressed milk due to tongue tie and bad advice.

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? On demand.

8. How old was your child when you started solids? Six months.

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) 8 months.

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly? A year.

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser? Comfort.

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? 5ft2inches. My lowest weight was 140 at six months post partum.

13. Do you eat meat, dairy, or eggs? dairy, eggs, and non-red meat (poultry and fish)

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional? Conventional for myself, organic for DD.

15. If you're vegetarian, do you buy mainly organic produce? No longer a vegetarian.

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often? No, I have tried to cut out soy.
#4 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 02:29 PM

AF hasn't returned yet, but seen as we're over 16 months nursing, I thought I would add myself in to your survey!

1. How long have you been nursing for? 16 months, 1 week

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? they haven't returned yet

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned? n/a

4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices. fulltime cosleep, DD sleeps from about 21:00 to 06:30, feeds to sleep and on waking, has at least 3 night feeds, sometimes more.

5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? no

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? no

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? on demand

8. How old was your child when you started solids? 25 weeks

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) about 15 months

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly? she has some with meals since 8 months, not much though

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser? comfort!

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? 5ft 4, about 9.5 stone now which is about 135 lbs or thereabouts

no, we're vegan

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional? n/a

15. If you're vegetarian, do you buy mainly organic produce? as much as I can, about 1/2 and 1/2

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often? yes, soymilk 2-3 times daily, tofu at least 3 times a week.

lady.gifLittlepixie Nov'06 & jog.gif our little monkey Jan'11

#5 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 02:55 PM

This time, for 17 months. I have previously BF two children to just over 2 years each.

14 months each time.

Heavier. My cycles were longer for the first several months. 40 days or so.

4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief
description of your sleeping practices.

Yes. My previous children have coslept for about 2.5 years and then moved into their own bed in their own room.

No.

No. When they got about 18 months I would leave a bottle/sippy in their bed for if they would like it at night.

Demand. At about 18 months I start distracting them to some other method if they are looking to nurse all the time or at inconvenient moments.

5 months.

9 months for smaller "meals." 12 months for more full meals.

12 months.

Comfort.

I'm 5'4" and I weigh about 160# during nursing/pregnancy. After I wean, I lose weight quickly.

Yes.

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional?

Both. Depends on how much time I have to drive to get the local/organic stuff.

No.
#6 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
1. How long have you been nursing for? [/B] Over 5y straight with two DC, but my youngest nursling is 16m old.

[/B]2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? I induced AF back when DD1 was 2.5y because it hadn't returned yet and I wanted to TTC #2. I had not had a period yet with DD2.

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned? Regular in that they came very frequently, but my LP was way too short to get pg for another 6 months until I corrected it with herbs.

4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices. Yes we co-sleep and the nursling has full breast access all night long, I do not night wean.

5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? Never

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? No

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? Always on demand

8. How old was your child when you started solids? After 6m, but DD1 rarely ate solid food her first 2y, DD1 only the 1st year.

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) see above

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly? DD1 was around 1.75y, DD2 is 16m and just now drinking a sippy cup a couple times a week.

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser? Both have been comfort nursers, DD2 nurse well less then DD1 though.

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? With DD1 I got down to 97lbs and I'm 5'5, my lowest weight with DD2 has been 104. I like to be around 108-112, no matter how hard I try, I don't seem to get over that weight.

13. Do you eat meat, dairy, or eggs? I eat eggs, dairy, and chicken, I do not eat any other meats nor do I drink milk.

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional? Mostly organic dairy, some non-organic but no GH cheeses. A mix of local no-antibiotic and regular chicken.

No, maybe a couple times a month, if that.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 03:26 PM

With this baby, I'm still nursing, and she is 15 months old. With my first child, I nursed 23 months.

between 12 and 13 months for both children.

with my first child, they appeared regular ('cept I had an ectopic after the 2nd cycle, then it was a bit screwy for a month, returned to normal, then I conceived again). With this child, I would have said regular, 'cept this cycle went 34 days and I'm a 29-day mama ALL.THE.TIME. so I guess that means I'm now irregular.

part-time. The baby is put to sleep in her bedroom (nursed to sleep) and when she wakes up, comes to find me in my room and stays the remainder of the night. Only exception is if she wakes early and I'm still up - I may try to nurse her back to sleep in her room.

5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? No, I tried at one point with both children, but they wouldn't take them.

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? My first child was in a part-time day care setting for 2 weeks, during which he drank maybe 3 bottles each day he was there. My second child has had maybe 4 bottles her whole life.

on demand

8. How old was your child when you started solids? around 6 months for both (little before for my first child and later for my second - both b/c of the child's interest or lack of).

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) 9 months or so - both were on 'real' food, and by 12 months were eating every meal with us, and the same things we ate.

I offer water with meals, they take it or not. Not sure when they started really drinking quantities of it, since I don't care if they do (since they are always nursing).

both for both kids. My first was a comfort nurser a lot of times. My second is often a demanding nurser (e.g. sit up and demand the other breast, then repeat till 6 or 7 breasts have been 'nursed'.)

5 ft 7 in, roughly 180 lbs

13. Do you eat meat, dairy, or eggs? yes to all - no diet restrictions (as evidenced by the above weight! LOL)

organic dairy, vegetarian or free range eggs (just not 'regular') and organic meats when I can afford it.

15. If you're vegetarian, do you buy mainly organic produce? Not vegetarian, but ate mostly organic produce all summer b/c of organic CSA. All winter/fall I ate a mix, but leaning towards more conventional (due to cost)

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often? not really
#8 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 03:47 PM

14 months with my most recent child

1 month with all 3 of my children, my AF was of course gone during pregnancy but immediately returned after birth

regular

yes, baby in bed with me nursing all night

no

Yes with my second child. She drank BM from bottle during daycare. No with the other 2 children

On demand

around 5-6 months for all kids, they ate whatever we were eating

never really, they all snack all day plus the youngest nurses and snacks

not until after weaning- 1 1/2-2 years or so

They have all nursed for both reasons. I just nurse when they want it, not sure always why they want it

I am 5'8"
1st child- 190 2nd child- 220 3rd child-250

yes

both. I buy what I can afford

I am not vegetarian but we eat lots of veggies and go organic when possible

we like soy beans fresh and dried in trail mix. We sometimes eat tofu and I use soy flour while cooking.

Kristin Skrydlak-Simlai

I answered this post because I have always wondered why I never have BF ammenoreah. I never realized that people had such long times with no AF. I think it might have something to do with my weight.
#9 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
With my first baby, I got AF back after only 4 months, even though we co-slept, she didn't use any bottles, pacifiers, etc. She wasn't on any solids yet but I did give her an occasional sip of water from my glass starting around 3mo (not more than 1 sip a day.) I did everything "right" according to Sheila Kippley, but still got my period when she was 4mo. My periods were regular, every 5 weeks or so, from the time they returned. I ate eggs and poultry regularly, not organic, but milk didn't agree with me so I didn't consume dairy regularly. I ovulated the first time around 6 or 7m pp and conceived at 8m pp. :

With my 2nd baby, I was tandem nursing, cosleeping with the baby all night (and the toddler half the night) didn't use any bottles or pacifiers for the little one, and got AF back when she was 6mo (she was having a few bites of solids at that point, but no "regular meals")

3rd baby slept through the night at 6 weeks old (that didn't last more than a couple of weeks though), and he used pacifiers and bottles of ebm when I was at work. I got AF back when he was 7.5mo- at that point he was really gung-ho on solids, and I still think I could have gone longer without AF if I'd introduced solids more slowly and carefully.

I never scheduled feedings and all 3 of my kids were comfort nursers. Organic milk was never in the budget when I had very little ones at home (I was a SAHM when the girls were little, and on WIC when DS was an infant, and WIC didn't offer organic milk.) I did use a lot of soy based dairy substitutes when I was pg with my first (when milk didn't agree with me at all.)

I think there's a certain amount of heredity involved in this whole lactational amenorhea thing. I was conceived when my brother was 5mo and 100% breastfed- and I can assure you my Mom wasn't consuming any soy products, and I'm pretty certain hormones weren't being fed to dairy cows in 1971.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
#10 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 04:06 PM

1. How long have you been nursing for? 20 months

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? 9 months old

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned? The first 3 were erratic, but they became regular quickly after that.

4. Did you cosleep? Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices. No. She slept in a p&P for the 1st month in our room, then in her crib after that.

5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? No, never.

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? Yes. EBM only 3 x's/day

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? Nursed on demand, but I WOHM so I had scheduled pumpings during the day, so it was a little of both.

8. How old was your child when you started solids? ~6.5 months

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) maybe 13 months

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly? 13 months

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser? Mostly business.

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? 5'5, 115 (too skinny!)

13. Do you eat meat, dairy, or eggs? Yes, all three.

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional? Usually conventional

15. If you're vegetarian, do you buy mainly organic produce? We eat vegetarian 4-5 days out of the week and buy about 50/50 organic/conventional.

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often? Maybe once every week or two.

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#11 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 04:18 PM

1. 24 months

2. 15.5. months

3. regular

4. Yes, until 6 months.

5. Yes. Frequently from 0-3 months, then not at all unless she discovered one in a basket of toys.

6. Yes. Frequently from 0-3 months due to issues with low supply and a bad latch, and then not at all.

7. On demand.

8. 6 months. Solids did not constitute an important part of her diet until well past 1 year.

9. About 14-15 months.

10. Same as #9.

11. Both.

12. 5 ft 8 in, 170 lbs.

13. Yes, all three.

14. Kosher, organic if possible.

15. NA

16. No, almost never.
#12 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 04:57 PM

1. How long have you been nursing for? 22 months

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? 18 months

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned? They're erratic and L O N G (first one was 63 days, this one looks like it will be about 52). This is exactly what happened when I went off the pill to TTC, btw. Plus, I just have longer cycles to begin with.

4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices. Yes. He nurses to sleep @ 7, and then I join him in our bed at about 10. He nurses frequently at night -- could be 2-5 times, depending.

5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? Yes, a lot in the beginning, but for the last couple of months, not so much. Used to use it every car trip, and sleeping. Now I use it as a means to get my boob out of his mouth, but he has no interest in it (he'll wake up if I use my fingers to pop the boob off, but if I use the pacifier, he pops himself off but doesn't take the pacifier.

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? Not really.My DH fed him EBM a few times so I could go to yoga or the movies the first year. Now bottles are more like fun chew toys.

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? On demand.

8. How old was your child when you started solids? Tried introducing them at 6 months. He didn't take to them til he was MUCH older. Like year. He still could care less, some days.

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day): um, I don't know yet

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly? He LOVES water. Has been drinking it regularly since he could convince me to give him some!

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser? Both.

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? I lost about 60 lbs over the course of 18 months.

13. Do you eat meat, dairy, or eggs? Yes. (Meat rarely, basically only when we go to Chinese food and then only chicken.)

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional? Yes. Except for the Chinese food

15. If you're vegetarian, do you buy mainly organic produce? Yes.

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often? Yes, soy products are a staple of my diet. (Not soy milk). We also eat a lot of edamama (straight up soy beans).
#13 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 09:47 PM

1. How long have you been nursing for? continuously...5y3m; 1st child weaned at 4y9m; 2nd child still going at age 2y6m (includes 2+ years of tandem nursing)

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? 1st child: 15m2w, 2nd child: 15m3w

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned? regular both times, but started with short luteal phase that gradually returned to normal over about 7-8 months

4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices. part time with both up to age 18 months or so...as tiny infants we slept wherever we could get sleep, as they got older we started them out in their own bed, then let them come in with us when/if they woke up in the night

5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? 1st child, very briefly; 2nd child has always been a thumb girl

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? 1st child only if we were out (once every month or so?), 2nd child even less often

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? on demand with both

8. How old was your child when you started solids? 1st child: 5.5 months, 2nd child: 6.5 months

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) both were about 9-10 months

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly? 7-8 months I would offer it with solids, probably 9ish months before drinking it more often

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser? 1st child major comfort nurser, 2nd more down to business nurser, comfort only when super tired or sick

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? height 5'4", weight anywhere from 150-175

13. Do you eat meat, dairy, or eggs? yes to all

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional? conventional

15. If you're vegetarian, do you buy mainly organic produce? n/a

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often? n/a

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#14 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 10:07 PM

We've been nursing 14 months
Still has not returned
n/a
yes, we cosleep
Here and there from 1-4 months. I'd say at that point he sucked on one for less than 1/2 hour a day
Had a bottle once a week or so until he started rejecting them around 5 months
Demand
5.5 months (too early!)
On a regular basis, and actually eating? 11-12 months
Drinks a little water occasionally at meals
At first, just for business. I had a very strong let down and oversupply, so we had a lot of issues at the breast at first. When things evened out, probably 3-4 month, he started nursing for comfort. Hmm...interesting...I never put together that he stopped artificial nipples when he started comfort nursing
I am 5'5". I went from 135 pre pregnancy to 175 at birth and then have gone down to 115 at 14 month post partum.
Yes
We eat as much organic as the budget allows
n/a
No

Mommy to two super cute kids.
#15 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 10:28 PM

1. How long have you been nursing for? 4 1/2 years (3 kids, nursed through both pregnancies)

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? #1- 4 mo #2 19 mo #3 not yet!

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned? erratic, very...

4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices. yes, babies/kids in bed with us all night

5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? #1 did while I was WOH and in the car, and for naps

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? #1 did 2X/day while I WOH

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? I nurse on demand

8. How old was your child when you started solids? #1 and #2 were 7-8 months, #3 is 6 mo. and has just started a tiny bit of solids

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) #1 and #2 were both over a year, #3 has not yet.

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly? #1 about 10 months (hot summer), #2 14 months (again, hot summer)

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser? #1 down-to-business #2 and #3 both big comfort nursers

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? 5'1, between 125 lbs

13. Do you eat meat, dairy, or eggs? yes

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional? organic, local

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often? We eat very little soy

Growing babies, fruits, veges, and chickens on our little urban homestead in the frozen north
#16 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
**3 years

**3 months

**very erratic

**yes. Part time until 15 months when I nightweaned him (he co-slept with dh), but started co-sleeping again a couple of months later.

**yes, for the first year, at bedtime.

**yes, a couple of times.

**on demand.

**5 months.

**around one year.

**18 months.

**an avid comfort nurser.

**158cm, 55kg.

**yes.

**conventional.

**no

caffix.gif

#17 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 10:34 PM

1. How long have you been nursing for? 18 months

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? 17 months

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned? I have only had one ask me next week. (AF arrived today) so regular

4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices. Yes. full time in my bed
5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? No never had one in the home.

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? No never used one.

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? On demand

8. How old was your child when you started solids? tried them 9-13 months ate more 13-15 months is still 70-30 with breast being the main food

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) Has not happened yet we only get one good meal.

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly? 13 months

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser? Both

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? 5.2 113

13. Do you eat meat, dairy, or eggs? Dairy,eggs and sometimes poultry

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional? Organic only

15. If you're vegetarian, do you buy mainly organic produce? All organic I am for the most part a veg

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often? Yes, daily
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...er_offline.gif http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ons/report.gif

:CLC,Doula :Mama to 2
#18 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 10:44 PM

1. 19.5 months

2. 1.25 months? She was 5 weeks old. But I didn't start ovulating (as evidenced by EWCM and all the other O signals) until she was 8/9 months. I think that the bleeding before then was all anovulatory even though it seemed like normal periods.

3. Regular

4. Yes. She didn't sleep alone until daycare at 16 weeks, and she didn't sleep alone at night until 11 months.

5. She does now, but she didn't start till ~4 months.

6. Yes, ~3 bottles of EBM a day at daycare, starting at ~4 months.

7. On demand only

8. We did BLW. Offered at 6 months, she started eating a measurable amount around 9 months.

9. Probably 10/11 months?

10. Maybe 8/9 months?

11. Both

12. Not going to give you numbers, but I'm obese.

13. yes to all.

14. Dairy is organic/hormone free. Meat/eggs are whatever is cheapest.

15. Not vegetarian, but I do buy mostly organic produce.

16. Not especially regularly... just an occasional meal of Chix Nuggets or something like that.

Robin, strong and happy single mama to Anna (7/06)
"Au milieu de l'hiver, j'ai découvert en moi un invincible été."
#19 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 11:22 PM

26 1/2 months
17 months
fairly regular
Part time. Began around 14 months to put him down in crib, then would go to bed first time he woke - started out waking at about an hour, gradually got later & later till I was going to bed without him before his first waking...now he usually sleeps through in his own bed. (the end of co-sleeping was alot sooner than I had envisioned). Before 14 months I laid down with him almost every time he slept - naps, all night, etc. Sleeping with me = very frequent nursing, could rarely count "how many nursings per night", more like on & off all night.
No.

No.
On demand.
6 months.
Hmmm... I guess around the same time he started sleeping through, which is around the same time my period returned!
11-12 months
COmfort comfort comfort! And lots of eating too.
5'4" 126lbs
Yes. Meat not alot, dairy & eggs alot.
Usually conventional.
n/a
Just occasionally.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#20 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 11:37 PM

1. How long have you been nursing for? 25 months

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? Not yet

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned? n/a

4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices. Cosleeping since birth, right next to me in bed- me in the middle :-p

5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? no

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? No, but in the hospital, the nurses wanted me to give my dd formula from some bottles (the "Stockpile") because she had a little jaundice (Arlington, Va, hospital). I was determined not to give her much and just did 10ml and that was it. That was all they were going to make me give her. :-p

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? On demand... that was all I knew how to do! I would feed her all the time.. she was 7lbs at birth, then 14lbs at 2 weeks. :-p

8. How old was your child when you started solids? SO much pressure to start solids, jeez! :-( I started giving her some finger foods at 6 or 7 months, and she just didn't care for them. Never liked pureed baby food whatsoever.

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) She started really eating a lot more at 14 months- coincidentally, she started walking at 13 months... guess she needed the energy!

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly? Maybe 16 months or so

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser? Both, but mostly comfort nursing if I had to pick one.

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? 5'4", 133 starting pregnancy weight, went up to 175 until the birth; lost weight rapidly during the first year, and now I'm 127lbs and in the best shape of my life. I eat healthy foods and exercise with Molly every day. (She's 37 lbs now, but still wearing her in the Ergo- strollers are such a hassle! I can't take it! heh)

13. Do you eat meat, dairy, or eggs? I eat chicken, fish, eggs and soy/rice/hemp milk.

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional? Organic

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often? Yes, soy milk, edamame, soy sauce.. :-p

"Waking up this morning, I smile. Twenty-four brand new hours are before me. I vow to live fully in each moment and to look at all beings with eyes of compassion."-Thich Nhat Hanh 
#21 of 159 Old 03-11-2008, 11:52 PM

11 months today

10 1/2 months

Only 1 so far

yes
bedsharing and naps on me

no

no

demand

6 months

not yet

still just sips, but he uses his sigg bottle at will through the day, total maybe 2.5 oz/day

both depending on situation

5'8". 180lbs

no

n/a

entirely

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often?[/QUOTE]
somewhat regularly, but not as a staple
#22 of 159 Old 03-12-2008, 01:17 AM

3.25 years.. weaned gradually and finally stopped last month

regular

Full time for the first 6 mos. From 6 mos to 2 yrs, I would nurse him to sleep and lay him in the crib. I would get him and bring him to bed with me when he first woke at night (1-3 a.m.) After 2 yrs, he got his own bed and usually prefers it, though he's free to join us any time.

no

yes, 3-4 bottles per week from 3 to 6 mos old; only rarely after that.

On demand

Started tasting solids at 8 mos.

15 mos.

12-15 mos.

little of both

5'7", 170 lbs.

Yes

Usually organic dairy and eggs; meat is often conventionally farmed

Not often

Dawn - Mom to : Jack 11/04 and David 5/08
#23 of 159 Old 03-12-2008, 01:29 AM

1. How long have you been nursing for? 20 months, tandeming for 2months

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? 8 months

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned? I only had one, then fell pregnant!

4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices. Yes, full time in my bed, nursing every 2hrs on average. Moved dd to own bed at 16months, but continued nursing at night. Currently nursing both at night on average 6-8 times.
5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? No never.

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? No never used one.

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? On demand

8. How old was your child when you started solids? tried them 7 months but not too interested

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) Still not a big eater but around 12 months she'd eat more (i was pregnant and my supply dropped)

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser? Comfort

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? 170cm, 60kg (sorry don't know how to convert them to imperial!)

13. Do you eat meat, dairy, or eggs? Yes

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional? Organic meat and eggs, organic dairy when possible.

15. If you're vegetarian, do you buy mainly organic produce? N/A

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often? Only tamari/soy sauce, not very often.
#24 of 159 Old 03-12-2008, 01:37 AM

I was an EP'er for 21 months, so bear that in mind.

1. How long have you been nursing for? nursed 21 months

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? seventeen

regular

Slept in same room, she was mostly in the crib but ended up in our bed half the time

never

bottles only, ep'ed

DD was never scheduled but EP'ing was, varied through the months. when I got my first pp period at 17 months, I was pumping about 3-4 times per day

15 m

2 yrs

bottles, but mainly wanted bottles every 2 hrs

5'5, 115 lbs

yes to all

organic or at least hormone/antibiotic free

almost never, except soy sauce as a condiment a couple times per month

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#25 of 159 Old 03-12-2008, 02:11 AM

I have 4, so I will refer to them as a, b, c, and d

a- 4 years
b- 3 years
c- still nursing at almost 3
d- still nursing at 8 months

a- 16 months
b- 8 months
c- 17 months
d- not yet

a- only had 3 before conceiving baby b (conceived 2 of those 3 but m/c, long cycles)
b & c- had one period and got pg
d- N/A

a- coslept until 5yrs, night nursed until 3 yrs
b- coslept until 3yrs, still comes at night, never night nursed as he slept through from birth
c- coslept exclusively until she joined her brothers at 18 months (her choice) though she still joins us midway, night nursed until I got pg at 18 mo PP
d- cosleeps exclusively

a- no
b- yes, for 12 mo after nursing (hated comfort nursing)
c- no
d- occasionally in the early weeks when gassy, not anymore

a- tried with EBM but wouldn't take it
b, c, & d- no

on demand day or night

6-ish months, though more for experimenting than eating

a- 14 months
b- 6 months (he loved food)
c- 18 months (got pg, milk changed and she hated it)
d- not yet

around a year

a- comfort, nursed 45 min of every hour
b- all business
c- comfort
d- mostly business, some comfort

I hover around 105-110lbs, 5'4

a- vegan
b- veg, some dairy (no milk) and eggs
c- introduced meat at around 15 mo PP
d- all (still don't drink milk or do much dairy)

as much organic as I can, mostly a mix

when I was mostly conventional as we were broke.

a- lots of soy
b, c, & d- no soy

#26 of 159 Old 03-12-2008, 02:26 AM

22 months and 2 days

19 months

regular

co-sleep at night and for naps. DD sleeps in the bed, not in a side-car or co-sleeper.

never

never

on demand

She decided to start at 11 months

I have to take a guess and say maybe 14 or 15 months, but even then, it was just a few tablespoons per day. It is probably still about a cup of food per day.

14 months

comfort

5'2", 120#

Lots of meat, cultured or raw dairy, lots of eggs

Organic, for the most part

N/A

No
#27 of 159 Old 03-12-2008, 03:12 AM

20 months
still no periods
n/a
yes, every night and most naps
no
no
on demand
6 months
1 year
1 year
both; depended on situation
5'11" 160 lbs
no red meat, yes on dairy & eggs
dairy & eggs yes

yes, 1-2 servings/day
#28 of 159 Old 03-12-2008, 03:53 AM

1. How long have you been nursing for? 13 months

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? 11 months

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned?pretty regular, but more variety in length

4. Did you cosleep? (Answers: yes, no, parttime) Please give a brief description of your sleeping practices. yes. co-slept exclusively until 11 months, then he began spending the first part of the night in his own bed. He still spends the second part of the night with me.

5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? If yes, how often? He used it from time to time during the first couple of weeks, then lost interest.

6. Did you child ever use bottles? If yes, how often? first took an occasional bottle at 4 months. Began drinking several bottles a day when I went back to work at 7 months. Loves his bottles, but loves his boobies more.

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? demand

8. How old was your child when you started solids? 6-7 months, but he was 10-11 months when he started eating solids every day.

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) 1 year

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly? 1 year, although it varies from day to day.

11. Was your child mainly a comfort nurser or a down-to-business nurser? comfort. He'd nurse all day.

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? 5'6'' 130 lbs. I was back into pre-pregnancy jeans by 3 months.

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional?organic

15. If you're vegetarian, do you buy mainly organic produce?not vegetarian, but yes about organic produce

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly?no If so, how often?
#29 of 159 Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 AM

So here goes:

1. How long have you been nursing for? almost 27 months--tandeming for 2 months

2. How old was your child in months when your periods returned? with first ds- 5 months. right now, still no period, but ds2 is only 7 weeks!!

3. Were your periods regular or erratic when they returned? regular--back to the usual 7 day long, 28 day cycle

4. Did you cosleep? yes w/ first ds and still do

5. Did your child ever use a pacifier? did a bit in the hospital, but then never again

6. Did you child ever use bottles? yes, because i had to go back to work, but it was expressed breast milk only--no formula at all!!

7. Did you nurse on demand or did you schedule feedings? on demand

8. How old was your child when you started solids? 6 months

9. How old was your child when they started eating heavily? (2-3 meals a day) around 12-14 months

10. How old was your child when they started drinking water regularly?after 12 months

comfort nurser for ds1, ds2 is a combo of both

12. What was your average height and weight during breastfeeding? for ds1, about 153 lbs 5"6", ds2 about 158 5"6"

14. If you answered yes to the above question, do you usually choose those items in organic or conventional? usually conventional

16. Do you consume soy milk/other soy products regularly? If so, how often? i eat edamame a few times a month

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#30 of 159 Old 03-12-2008, 10:24 AM

almost 13 months

9 months

regiular but a 37 day cycle were before they were 28

have always co slept - still do = nurses frequently during the night

while he was in th e NICU we did (1 mo) but weaned about a week after comming home - never since then

again only while in the nicu (1mo) not since

demand

9 months

12 months

11-12mo

comfort

5''6 200lbs

no meat yes to the others

organic

organic

once or twice a month but nothing major

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page