Would like to gradually work toward weaning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-23-2008, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, DS is 21 months. I'm getting tired of nursing and it's hurting more now that he has more teeth. He is an AMAZING eater so I'm not concerned about his diet w/o breastmilk. We night-weaned in Dec. (but are having a regression right now) . I would like him to be weaned right around his 2nd b-day. Any suggestions? My plans for right now are: (1) completely night wean next week (have him wait until sun-up to nurse), (2) start nursing only at home. I guess my biggest concern is the nursing-to-sleep issue. I know that that will probably be the last nursing to go but... I'd appreciate any helpful tips!

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2008, 09:04 PM

I would suggest reading at kellymom.com about weaning and going to your library and getting a couple of books on weaning. The nursing mother's guide to weaning by Kathleen Huggins is good as is the la leche league books about nursing.

I started to wean my older dd at 24 mos. She would not have been reasonable about it any earlier and it would have been a fight. I started with day weaning when she was about 18 mos just by giving her meals and a sippy of milk instead of nursing. I also stopped nursing outside of home. So, around then, she stopped napping and nursed less and less during the day. By 24 mos, she was only nursing awake, to sleep, and 2-3 times at night. I started with one feeding at a time at night. I just soothed her back to sleep if she would let me. I also talked about how I do not wake up at 3am for a snack. If she cried, I nursed but more and more she let me soothe and snuggle her back to sleep. She was pretty regular about her feedings so I just did one at a time.

Within a few mos, she was sleeping through the night and not waking to nurse. I then worked on the nursing first thing in the am. She has always been a grumpy am person so that was hard. Again, I never let her cry but reasoned with her and we worked through it lovingly. We got into a morning routine with breakfast and we have been there ever since. Last to go was nursing to sleep. That was hard and I just had to let her stay up until she was really sleepy. By 30 mos, she was fully weaned.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks delphiniumpansy! I really liked what you had to say. Sounds like it was very gentle. I have a feeling you have a bit more patience than me!! I'll need to check out those books.

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
Old 03-24-2008, 12:13 AM

I like "How weaning happens" for gentle techniques on weaning.

Good luck.

User Tag List