Breastfeeding while pregnant - studies, experience needed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-28-2008, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm breastfeeding our 10 mo daughter and have recently found out that I'm also 11 weeks pregnant. I'm not concerned about breastfeeding throughout this pregnancy and then tandem nursing once the baby is born. However, I had my first appointment this past week, just the family history appointment with the nurse (new to the area so a new OB). The nurse looked at me like I was crazy when I told her I was still nursing. She even actually said "I didn't think someone could get pregnant while nursing." She then went on to ask if I was weaning and to say that the doctor might want me to wean. I didn't tell her, but that's not really an option for me, unless I go into preterm labor or something like that, then we'll have to look at the options agian. Anyway, I'm not really sure what the doctor will say, but I see her for the first time in a couple of weeks. I'd like to have as much information as possible to help confront any medical ignorance that she might have.

So, if anyone has links to good studies of breastfeeding while pregnant, names of book, and /or personal experience please send it my way. I want to make sure I'm very well informed. Thankfully, my husband is all for nursing and tandem nursing so I know I at least have his support

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2008, 11:43 AM

wow, I can't believe she said that to you! I'm in the same situation with a 10 month old and 18 weeks pregnant. I'm still nursing, although DD has lost interest with the drop in milk supply. There's no reason not to nurse, and I know many moms who are all about nursing while pregnant. i've heard it's good for getting the uterus ready for labor again!

I don't know of any sources for info off the top of my head, but I just wanted to say 'stick with it' and 'good luck!'.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:47 AM

I did it, and know others who have done it. Check out the LLL website for more detailed info, or call your local LLL leader for support. Good luck!
Old 03-28-2008, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Kellymom has some great articles on this. And the citations at the bottom show the studies she used.

Missionary, birth-worker, midwifery student
Mama to love.gif DD (9yr), DS luxlove.gif (3yr), & 2twins.gif UC twin DDs (5yr)

Old 03-28-2008, 12:03 PM

tons of ppl on here do it. unless there was a specific reason and i researched the specific reason myself i wouldnt even consider weaning a child of any age just because im pg. gl!

Mama to Amelia - age 6

Old 03-28-2008, 07:17 PM

Old 03-29-2008, 08:35 AM

Wow...what an uneducated nurse. I nursed through 3 pg! No problems. If it's safe for you to have sex/orgasm it is safe to nurse (both cause uterine contractions).

momma to 4!
Old 03-29-2008, 03:16 PM

I would definitely go with the sources from the pp's and also say that you should tell them that the burden of proof is on them. Let THEM prove to you that in YOUR case, it would be dangerous. The mere fact that the nurse said she didn't think "you could even get pregnant while breastfeeding" shows you that she doesn't know a whole lot about it.

Good luck- I've done it and am actually doing it a second time. s
Old 03-29-2008, 06:16 PM

Definitely read the Kellymom page, and the LLL book Adventures in Tandem Nursing

Amy & DH, homeschooling Mama to
DD 9 love.gif DS 7 yrs   
Old 03-30-2008, 12:32 AM

I nursed my toddler for the duration of my last pregnancy and my milk supply never depleted. My doctors only concern was my iron, which blood test confirmed was low so she put me on additional iron supplements and also a pescription prenatenal vitamin. I would talk to your doctor but as long as you aren't having any complications I can't think of any reason why you would not be able to continue nursing.

My son was also born healthy and 2 weeks early at 7 pounds 15oz, so it didn't affect his weight gain at all hes now 15 months and still full time nursing

Let us know how everything goes
Old 03-30-2008, 06:11 AM

Gosh - are health providers still talking like this!! I'm surprised. I know I shouldn't be but I am.
Pregnant people breastfeed all over the place and have for all time.
As muppet says - it's very obvious from her comments that the nurse is less than informed on this whole area.
The guide line is - if you are not advised to stop having sex due to worries about contractions in orgasm, nursing is fine.

I have a 4 month old. Currently tandem feeding. Fed my 3 yr old 2-3 times a day throughout my pregnancy. Supply definitely dipped a bit in the second trimester but he never stopped. When colostrum was in he was back to longer sessions. Never felt ANY contractions during nursing until the day after the due date and hey presto, dd 10 hours later. Very healthy little girl now tandem feeding and gaining weight really well. During pregnancy I didn't feel more tired or more achy than first time round or more anything.

Adventures in Tandem Nursing is really THE place for info. Sounds like you have a valuable role in paving the way for future mums who encounter these folks.

Don't even doubt yourself.
Old 03-30-2008, 01:09 PM

The book Adventures in Tandem Nursing is a really good resource. I will consult the Breastfeeding Answer Book for you too:

"In its 2002 positions statement on breastfeeding, The American Academy of Pediatrics asserted: Breastfeeding during a pregnancy is not unusual. If the pregnancy is normal and the mother is healthy, breastfeeding during pregnancy is the mother's decision."

The book also states that a difficult pregnancy may be a reason to consider weaning.

In my personal experience, I only know 2 people (LLL leaders) who nursed through their pregnancies, though both did night wean at that time just so as to get better sleep. One experienced pain and a decrease in milk supply and had a difficult pregnancy with bedrest recommended at 2 or 3 different stages due to threat of preterm labor or spotting, but continued to breastfeed her toddler. The other experienced no pain or reduction in supply and nursed without issue through her pregnancy. Another friend and mother of 6 only breastfeeds until she conceives because she had 2 miscarriages, both of which were while nursing and feels that there is a correlation in her. I had a miscarriage while nursing and while I don't feel there was necessarily a correlation, I still hop to wean before we TTC. Again, sure to be an unpopular sentiment on this board and of course not saying that they WERE related, just my own feelings.

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 03-30-2008, 01:42 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
During my first pregnancy I went into preterm labor at 29/30 weeks, 4 cm dilated and 80% effaced. No idea what caused it, but I do have an incident of PTL in my past.

That being said, my midwife (and my primary care physician that I also saw for a couple appointments) were supportive of me nursing DS through my pregnancy with DD. There was one uneducated nurse at the local military hospital who tried to tell me that DD "just wouldn't grow" because DS was nursing. DD was born the day before her due date, a chubby, healthy 10 lbs. I never had any signs of PTL that time, no complications in the pregnancy.

I am currently tandem nursing 3.5 year old DS and 20 month old DD through my 3rd pregnancy, I'm 23 weeks.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

Old 03-30-2008, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sonja View Post
I am currently tandem nursing 3.5 year old DS and 20 month old DD through my 3rd pregnancy, I'm 23 weeks.
You are a rock star!

Book lovin librarian nerd mama to Caleb 6/06 and Aiden 4/09: and 1 angel 11/07. "No one cries alone in my presence."
Old 03-31-2008, 04:38 AM

My former acupuncturist (former b/c of this and former b/c he left a needle in my scalp that I didn't notice for hours...I could never go back to him after that) couldn't believe that *anyone*, could get pregnant while still nursing. I told him I had been ovulating since DS was bout 6 months (lochia for 12 very long weeks, next month got my period, next month or maybe the following got full cycle) but it wasn't really, I don't know how to describe it, joined up, wasn't cohesive, and I'd like him to help. He told he I had to wean DS, that it would be useless b/c no one can get pg while nursing.

Sigh.

So! I was nursed until I was 4. My brother is two years younger than me. The math speaks for itself.

My stepmom nursed her sons 2 years each. Her younger son is 2 years, to the week, younger than his brother. Obviously there was some pregnancy-nursing going on there, too!
Old 03-31-2008, 07:54 PM

So far as I know there's no risk of breastfeeding while pregnant unless you are at risk for preterm labor.

I nursed through my pregnancy (though my older ds was around 2.5 at the time, so not nursing a whole lot anyway) and know several others who have done the same. I know the book "Nursing Mother's Companion" says there's no risk to nursing while pg unless you're already considered "high risk".

HTH

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
Old 04-01-2008, 02:43 AM

My oldest daughter was still nursing when I became pg with my 2nd. She gradually weaned herself when I was about 4 mos. pg. No problems with the pg. I have heard that the taste of the milk changes at that time due to hormone changes. I'm not sure if she weaned herself because of the taste or if she was just ready. The next two also weaned themselves at 18 - 20 months and I was not pg. Hopefully my last baby (10 months now) will carry on a little longer. Good luck with everything!

Laura - proud mom to K -my little wonder with 47 chromosomes - and her 3 amazing big sisters!

My blog - http://downsyndromeupupupandaway.blogspot.com
Old 04-01-2008, 03:50 AM

sounds like you have gotten some good responses but i just wanted to add that i nursed dd (2.5 year old) through my pregnancy and had a healthy 9lb 4 oz ds 4 days after his edd.
good luck!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:23 AM

my ob suggested I "may want to wean to give my breasts a break before the baby arrives" but he qualified himself immediately by stating that given my history (one unexplained 1st trimester miscarriage followed by 2 full term births) it wouldn't be detrimental to our health if I continued.

now the wic nurse...she tried to scare me into weaning by stating my daughter WOULD be premature and WOULD be small and WOULD have health problems due to nursing during pregnancy.

considering she was born perfectly healthy at 40w2d & 8lbs 11oz I'd say that's misinformation and I told her so at our last visit.

Jami (25) Roland (27) & Caleb (5), Jacob (3.5) , Kaitlyn (2)
Old 04-01-2008, 10:49 AM

i am currently 36 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 24 month old daughter. two tomorrow! we have had a few bumps int he road, like within the past month a diminished milk supply dispite her round the clock and night nursing. we have also had problems with thrush which i had never experienced before. towards the end it has gotten sore and uncomfortable when dd wants to nurse... and i guess i knew it could happen. but i am glad we have stuck it out. baby is due in a month and i hope to tandem nurse. the first 7.5 months of the pregnancy nursing was perfect with dd...it's just this last month it got difficult.

i can't believe the nurse said that to you!
Old 04-01-2008, 10:50 AM

oh...and we bought adventures in breastfeeding too.... it's agreat book, you should really get it. very informative!

User Tag List