Mothering Forum banner

Milk drying up on one side???

450 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  amyleigh33 
#1 ·
Hi everyone...ok, so my LO is only 9 1/2 months, but he's not an infant anymore so I figured this was the place to post, but I am cross-posting in Breastfeeding Issues as well.

In any event, I am having some big problems these days. My left breast makes nearly 3 times as much as my right breast...is that normal? I just went to the car to pump (I'm at work) and I got 7 oz. out of the left size and only 2 oz. out of the right. I think I *might* have a clogged duct on the right side, but it has always produced less. Now it is just at an all time extreme low. I'm ordering all the herbal supplements to try and increase, but I'm concerned that my left side is going to flood me out!! When I woke up this morning, my left side was probably a DDD and my right a B...that is how bad it is getting.

Also, my "clog" is feeling like a really deep bruise, but I can't feel the lump like I have been able to with past clogged ducts. I've tried to work it out with massage and heat, but it is really hard to do if I can't find the lump. Anyone else been through something like this?? Any advice??? I'm getting really desperate (and scared).

Thanks mamas!!

#2 ·
Somewhat related is this recent thread,
http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...d.php?t=875454
-- you are not the only one with one side that produces way more than the other. BUT, I am concerned about the lump/soreness you're describing. As my post in the above thread says, I think one of the factors that led to the virtual "drying up" of my left breast was getting mastitis in it when DD was a few days old, but there were other factors like her clear preference for the right side. I was able to get rid of the infection using warm compresses and manual expression, and having DD nurse on that side as much as I could "coerce" her to. ETA: indeed, her nursing helped with the clog much better than the warm compresses and pump. (It's lucky that she didn't refuse that side all the time or who knows what might've happened).

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.