milk gradually lessening? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-14-2008, 10:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS just turned 1 on Sunday I have noticed that over the last few weeks it seems like he is thirsty a lot. I nurse him totally on demand. Yes he eats solids but I wouldnt say a whole lot. Like, a little something at breakfast with the other kids, a piece of fruit at lunch, some chicken and veggie or whatever we are having at dinner. So its not like he is chowing all day long. I can hand express drops of milk as soon as I try, so I know there is milk I just dont know how much. And it seems like he has a lot of dry diapers, but the ones that are wet are SOAKED. Like the morning one is heavy, then a dry one, then a wet one, then two dry, then a really heavy wet one. I guess its normal for them to urinate less frequently but more at one time, at least what I read said that. He is also pretty fussy at the breast, but he has never been a peaceful nurser except in the middle of the night.

I dont know. I guess it sounds ok when I type it out. As long as I am nursing him on demand it should all work out right? I guess its just that he seems thirsty. Of course, it is getting really hot here now too (FL). I have never had supply issues in the past. My period returned in December so thats nothing new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-15-2008, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It really sounds OK, as long as you are nursing him on demand. Make sure you are drinking lots of water! Supply is generally going to catch up to demand (unless of course there is some other factor like pg or meds). If the weather is heating up, his nursings are probably picking up, and your body is probably trying to catch up. So, there may be a little "delay" ~ nothing to get worried over.

Under the "I don't know if it helps, but it made me feel better" category. Whenever I was worried about supply (like a temp nursing "strike" or we were apart for some reason or just a busy week with little opportunity to nurse), I would express milk while I was in the shower. The warm water seemed to help things flow and it helped me feel like I was doing *something*. I doubt it was really necessary, but I don't think it could hurt anything.

My DS started going longer between wet diapers around 1 as well. He would only pee like 3 times a day and the dipes would be SATURATED!

HTH!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page