nursing no longer gets her to sleep! what to do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-02-2008, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
my daughter just turned 1 and all week has had trouble going to sleep. Usually for about half of the naps and every night she nurses and goes to a deep sleep immediately after she is full. Now she is tired and ready for bed, I nurse her fully but she remains awake. she will be exhausted and sleepy but will not sleep. my husband has gotten her to sleep the last few nights singing and walking her around but I have a bad back and cant do that much when I am by myself. prob not a good habit to get into anyway.

some info--
she currently nurses about 4 times a day, sleeps next to us or in our bed but will be moving to her room in about 3 weeks. we dont have a long night routine of books, songs etc- just playing then getting pj's on, nursing and then me putting her to bed. would more activity and routine help? does this mean she will wean soon? is there anyhitng else i should be doing? i feel liek she should be able to go to sleep on her own a bit now, since she seems to want this..any advice would help thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2008, 02:09 AM

This may be a totally dumb question, but have you tried just laying her down after you nurse her? I ask, because my DD (7 months) recently started doing the same thing. After a couple of days I just had to put her down (I was so tired!) and low and behold she took her blankie, rolled over and went to sleep! I have now been successfully putting her to sleep AWAKE (after nursing) for almost 2 weeks. NO crying, little to no 'fussying', she just goes to sleep. I do have her in her own room (just off my room) with a fan on loud and a small blankie.

Grace - photographer, wife and mom to 4 great kids (Ethan 5.00, Ainsley 4.02, Owen 12.04, and Ellis Ann 10.07) :
Old 06-02-2008, 02:21 AM - Thread Starter

not a dumb question! I have but not in her bed, just beside me on couch. she lays and coos, sits up and then its all over for at least 30 min. I think she would rail against going to her bed but I will try it tomorrow night.....
Old 06-02-2008, 12:46 PM

I have the exact same question you have - nursing to sleep is no longer working that well for anyone. If you get a chance, please come back and post because I'd love to hear what you try and what works (and doesn't work)!
Old 06-02-2008, 02:57 PM

My DD started doing this around 13 months. Our routine is I nurse her and then my husband comes up and bounces her on our birth/exercise ball. It's a total pain (try traveling with it!), but it's the only thing that works. I've tried laying her down, but she just gets up and runs around or cries. She is also the kind of kid that will make noises or kick just to fight sleep and stay awake. She hates sleeping!

My only consolation is that this can't last forever. Right?

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

Old 06-02-2008, 03:38 PM

How many naps is she taking? Around 12 -16 months old, most babies move to one nap a day. She may just not be as tired.

DD will usually fall asleep in my arms if I hold her is a cross-cradle hold, sway side to side and sing her lullabies. But that's been our routine for a long time.
Old 06-03-2008, 01:25 AM - Thread Starter

hmm maybe..she often takes 2 naps, from 30 min-1.5 hrs each. However she seems exhausted at bedtime! tonight ended up with dh walking again, nothing else helped. ack!!! tomorrow night I think Ill try stories and music, or somehitng
Old 06-04-2008, 12:53 AM

my 16 mo. old is doing the same thing. he'll finish nursing and ask for the pacifier. then i walk him around while he is wide awake looking around the room. it's nice for a while but then i start to get resentful, by then i'm DONE for the day. i'm also ready for him to be a little more able to fall asleep on his own (not sure how to accomplish that).

my two thoughts for him have been...
- the nap thing, maybe we need to move to one nap instead of two
- he is teething right now and doesn't seem as fussy as he used to while teething, but maybe he is just uncomfortable enough that it's tough for him to fall asleep. tomorrow night i'm going to try some motrin.
Old 06-04-2008, 12:58 AM

I think a longer routine would help. We've always had a routine for our boys and honestly we have very few bedtime problems. Try a warm bath before bed, followed with some time to run around naked and be silly, get into pj's, nurse, read some books, nurse some more, then lights out and see what happens. As they get older they really seem to need more time to let off steam before bed, at least that's been our experience. It wouldn't hurt to try!

User Tag List