Aloe Vera Juice Safe While Nursing any Drinkers - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-21-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the most horrable tummy pains always been that way for me,the stuff that used to help me was Aloe Vera Juice.I bought a big bottle today then got online and it said not to take while breastfeeding or during aunt flow WTF???Why would it be so bad to take,I would think there would be more benifits then risk with aloe kwim?I hope there is a mom here who drinks it while bfing or can tell me it would be fine to take.I was just thinking like 2 oz with water or in a smoothie in the AM.....My Lo is over a year and a half,does bf alot though.Thank You in Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 06-22-2008, 12:34 AM

Sorry to say this one is a no-no. The reason is the anthranoid side effects.
There are other laxatives that are okay to use during breastfeeding if that is what you are needing. Another option would be probiotics. Do you think one of those would work for you?
#3 of 5 Old 06-23-2008, 05:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjmama View Post
Sorry to say this one is a no-no. The reason is the anthranoid side effects.
There are other laxatives that are okay to use during breastfeeding if that is what you are needing. Another option would be probiotics. Do you think one of those would work for you?
Anthranoid side effects....could you explain?

I was taking a supplement called Body Balance for a little while that has aloe extract in it.....I was told that it was perfectly safe for nursing mothers as well as for babies over 1 month old(I don't think I would have ever given it to a one month old, but my nursing toddler did have some), and when I looked it up I couldn't find anything that said otherwise....

hopefully I didn't totally screw up? I haven't noticed adverse side effects....

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

#4 of 5 Old 06-23-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama*pisces View Post
Anthranoid side effects....could you explain?

I was taking a supplement called Body Balance for a little while that has aloe extract in it.....I was told that it was perfectly safe for nursing mothers as well as for babies over 1 month old(I don't think I would have ever given it to a one month old, but my nursing toddler did have some), and when I looked it up I couldn't find anything that said otherwise....

hopefully I didn't totally screw up? I haven't noticed adverse side effects....
I don't think you totally screwed up but I would like to know who told you it was safe. Perhaps the aloe vera is a minimal competent? The main concern in GI distress, aloe vera is an anthranoid is a laxative. Here are some links for you.

http://www.kellymom.com/herbal/ref/herbs_a.html
Aloe Vera

Topical use of aloe vera gel is reported safe (toxicity is minimal). There have been no reports of adverse effects following maternal use or via milk ingestion. Do not use on nipples, as it should not be ingested by baby (see below).

Oral use of the aloe vera latex is strongly discouraged; can cause severe gastric irritation. Per the classic King's American Dispensatory, "Administered to nursing mothers it will purge the sucking child." Children, nursing moms and pregnant women should not use this (internally) at all. See also Herbals and Breastfeeding by Nice, et al in U.S. Pharmacist.

http://www.uspharmacist.com/oldforma...mp/acf1e63.htm
Aloe: Aloe, obtained from the dried latex of the leaves of Aloe barbadensis and other Aloe species of its genus, is used to treat constipation. Its pharmacologic actions are due to its hydroxyanthracene derivatives, which increase motility of the GI tract and prevent the colon from becoming stationary. Aloe is available orally as a powder and aqueous extracts (powdered or liquid). The recommended dose of aloe should be based on the hydroxyanthracene content of the dosage form. The daily dose is 20?0 mg hydroxyanthracene/day calculated as anhydrous aloin. However, the dose should be reduced, if possible, to the lowest dose required to maintain a bowel movement. Short-term side effects usually result in GI tract distress. On a long-term basis, side effects encountered include electrolyte imbalance, albuminuria, and hematuria. Potassium deficiency is of utmost concern because of the potential to cause cardiovascular dysfunction such as arrhythmias.10 Due to aloe’s anthranoid content and the side effects caused by anthranoids, it should be avoided while the mother is breastfeeding.
#5 of 5 Old 06-25-2008, 01:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks, PBJmama....the person that told me it was safe is one of the distributors of the product, a representative from LifeForce International. She even gave me a pamphlet that had testimonials on it from supposedly pregnant and breastfeeding moms! Geez, I feel totally duped. I'm so glad I stopped taking it! To be honest I got some pretty bad stomach pains for a day or so right after I started taking it, so I stopped for a few days and re-started, figuring that if it were related I would get a stomach-ache again, but I never did. Now it all makes sense. : However, ds never complained of any pain, so as far as I can tell he wasn't affected by it. Thank goodness!

treehugger.gif Mia, married to my superhero.gif since 2006, mama to bikenew.gif D (5/06) and dust.gifM (8/09).
namaste.gifgrouphug.gifrainbow1284.gifgd.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page