Getting 20 month old to eat more solids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-09-2008, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would really like my 20 month old daughter to eat more solids/liquids other than breastmilk.

She still has many many days where she allows NO solids or liquids to pass her lips. Not even things I know she likes. On a good day she will take a few bites at breakfast, a few bites at lunch, and a bit more at supper. I would estimate that 80% or more of her calories are from breastmilk. It is rare for her to drink more than 2 ounces of liquids a day.

I offer food frequently, a variety of things, things I know she likes, but it just seems that she doesn't want to eat.

She nurses all day and all night, a lot. I would like to TTC in a few months when she is 2, but I feel that I cannot TTC until I get her to eat more food. I do intend to nurse her through pregnancy, but I worry that a sudden decrease in milk supply would be very difficult for her to handle. She is an extremely sensitive child and very attached to her milky.

Any tips or experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 02:32 AM

For us, nothing helped except time. Around 2yrs she started eating more and nursing less. It was gradual though. And less... well, it was relative

-Angela
Old 07-09-2008, 04:30 AM

Our DD is 21mo and just starting to eat more after several months of nearly exclusive breastfeeding. We moved into a new house and the kitchen/fridge are arranged differently and I think that may have helped encourage things.

Here we have a large lower cabinet with a big lazy susan where I keep most of the dry/canned goods. She can open it herself and chose food items of interest (which is mostly carbs crackers, pasta, oatmeal, cereal, etc..). Same with the fridge--it's a double door style with clear shelving/bins so she can see what is available. My guess is that the independence she feels is helping to motivate more eating.

Also I have taken a more relaxed approach lately because I was feeling frustrated too, I feel your pain mama! It seems if I am less invested in her eating and just enjoy my own food in her proximity she's more likely to settle down and sit with me and eat more. Many times she will take a bite, walk away, and return for more 10 min later so I've learned to leave the food out longer than I used to as well.

As for liquids, DD has been big on drinking cold water and cow's milk for about 4 months. I have a wide variety of cups that she uses--sippies, sport style, soft straw in the top, learn-how-not-to-tip-it cup with handle, glass juice size ones. Different cups seem to help keep her enthusiastic about taking in liquids. Perhaps a new cup or two will help yours as well?

treehugger.gifdh + geek.gifme + biggrinbounce.gifdd 9/06 + rainbow1284.gifbabyf.gifdd 5/13
Old 07-09-2008, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What`s been helping us is popsicles. I make my on with dilluted juice or milk. Somehow he enjoys walking around with those...
nak

Me sleepytime.gif DH violin.gifand the kiddos run.gif   Follower of Jesus heartbeat.gif
Old 07-09-2008, 02:48 PM

DS is now 26 months and has just started eating well. Even through a decrease in my milk supply while I was pregnant, he nursed constantly and was fine. I tried limiting his nursing so he'd eat more because I was so worried (Thanks to family. I should have known better.) and that made no difference. Just one day, he decided to eat and still nurses just as often.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

hmmmm... thanks for the replies. I guess I will just try to not stress about it and reevaluate in a few months. The constant nursing honestly doesn't bother me much. And DD is very healthy, gaining fine with only nursing.

I just worry about possible pregnancy issues... but we're not to that point anyways

It is helpful to know there are other tots like her. I have quite a few IRL friends nursing older toddlers but they all eat more than DD, so this makes me feel better
Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 PM

You could limit the times that you nurse, so it isn't an open buffet (that is not meant to be derrogatory, just an idea). My boys needed to be limited a bit on the nursing and then they ate more. Then when I weaned them, they ate much more.

But listen to your heart. Perhaps you just need to wait a bit longer before TTC?

Courtney wife to geek.gif and mom to 4 boys: chicken3.gif   . I need caffix.gif !
They're not typos. . . I can't spell!

User Tag List