Pump during overnight trip? 18 mo. old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-22-2008, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning on taking a couple of overnight trips without my 18 mo. old son. He typically nurses twice/day. Do I still need to pump if I am only separated from him for 24 hours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 07-22-2008, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it really depends on you. (sorry) I know some moms of ~18 month olds who wouldn't need to pump. But, I'd need to pump if I were gone longer than 8-10hrs, for my own physical comfort. Then again, 20 mo old dd nurses approx every 2-3 hrs round the clock.

Okay, that probably wasn't terribly helpful.

I'd suggest bringing a handpump, and play it by ear.
#3 of 3 Old 07-22-2008, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It really depends on your body and just how much milk you're producing. I know 18mos who practically live on breastmilk, and those who mostly comfort nurse and get 90% of their nutrition from other foods. Just hearing "he nurses twice a day" doesnt' really tell me if he's drinking for a minute or two and getting an ounce at a time (in which case you could skip pumping) or if he's drinking 12oz per nursing session (which means you'd be in incredible pain, and risk plugged ducts/mastitis if you didn't express any milk for 24 hours.)

Do you already own a pump? Are you skilled at manually expressing milk? Even if you need to EXPRESS milk for your own comfort during the trip doesn't necessarily mean that you need a device to help you do it. OTOH, if you have a compact pump that you're comfortable using, it may not be worth your time to play around with hand expressing on trips.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page