Help - raw nipples - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-27-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little guy is 10 months old and has always had a great latch. Even with 6 teeth now, he doesn't bite me and his mouth position looks like it's supposed to. I say all of this because I'm at a loss as to why my nipples are suddenly so very sore and raw. It started about 3 weeks ago, I noticed that a half-moon shaped spot around my left nipple/breast was becoming red and a little calloused. I figured it was because of his teeth, but it didn' hurt so I thought it was fine. In the past three days, it has started to crack in places. I can see raw skin underneath. And now my right breast is starting to do the same thing. All of a sudden, it really hurts to feed him. I'm been spraying aloe on them after every nursing session.

Any ideas on what is causing this and how to treat it?? He does pull off and look around when he nurses, but not excessively, and not any more than normal these past 3 weeks.

Thanks!!

Karrie.  Partner to my best friend and wife (aka "baba") and mama to son G (10-24-2007).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2008, 04:32 PM

nak
Thrush?
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/thrush/index.html
Old 08-27-2008, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Pbjmama. It might be thrush. It's odd because it's only on the lower half of my areola, and doesn't cause any deep pain, just surface pain and itching. Supposedly thrush causes deep shooting pain and does not itch. I should probably go to my physician just in case, thought.

- Karrie

Karrie.  Partner to my best friend and wife (aka "baba") and mama to son G (10-24-2007).

Old 08-27-2008, 10:23 PM

In my case it did itch and the deep pain didn't come for awhile. What is your gut -problem latch or something else?
Old 08-27-2008, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrie42 View Post
Hi Pbjmama. It might be thrush. It's odd because it's only on the lower half of my areola, and doesn't cause any deep pain, just surface pain and itching. Supposedly thrush causes deep shooting pain and does not itch. I should probably go to my physician just in case, thought.

- Karrie
Actually thrush tends to cause surface pain and itching. When it enters the ductal structure of the breast, then you'd have the deep, shooting pain. Typically, thrush on the nipple causes surface pain, itching, sometimes a fine, pin-point rash. The description you wrote sounds exactly like thrush. Have you checked your little one's mouth for a white coating, or white patches? Diaper rash? Those would go along with it too. I hope you're feeling better soon.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the thoughts so far. I called my OBGYN and the nurse thinks it's *not* thrush, but just an irritation from his teeth. He doesn't have any signs of it at all. That said, from reading your comments, I'm going to follow Dr. Gordon's treatment for thrush anyway just in case (Grapefruit Seed extract.) I also went out and bought some acidophilis.

If I'm not sure it's thrush, should I wait until I know for sure before I attempt to 'biol' everything he has had in his mouth. He toddles around chewing on EVERYTHING...I'm not sure there is any place in this house he hasn't chewed on.

Thanks again!!

- Karrie

User Tag List