How many times a day does/did your 17 month old nurse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 46 Old 10-02-2008, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little guy will be 17 months on Saturday. Man, where does the time go? He is down to just nursing before bed. He doesn't ask, but if I offer he'll enthusiastically nurse. I just offered and he was thrilled! So maybe I should be offering more often?
#2 of 46 Old 10-02-2008, 09:11 PM

offer more and see what happens soo cool 17 months and still nursing that is inspiring for other mamas

Mom to K(7)M(4)and baby J(2)cold.gifhh2.gif
:

#3 of 46 Old 10-02-2008, 09:13 PM

Mine's just over 15 mo and we are still doing around 6 times a day (including while going down for naps or to bed) and then several times during the night.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#4 of 46 Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My 15 month old twins each nurse about 12-20 times in a 24 hour period. I'll start limiting their night nursing in a few months. Currently we only nurse when they ask (which is still pretty often when we are home) or I'll offer when I see someone needs it to prevent a meltdown.

LLL has a "don't offer, don't refuse" sort of policy which I don't fully understand. Clearly that might work for a 3 year old but certainly not for a 3 week or even 3 month old. So I don't know when they suggest to begin that approach.

Once a day doesn't sound like much, but I don't know how long you plan to nurse for. If you plan for a minimum of 2 years I would start to offer more. If 18 months is okay, then let it go.

Me.  With 1 spouse, 4 kids, 16 chickens, 74 matchbox cars, 968,562+ legos, a dishwasher waiting to be emptied, a washing machine waiting to be filled and a lost cup of tea in the house.

#5 of 46 Old 10-02-2008, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleesmom View Post
soo cool 17 months and still nursing that is inspiring for other mamas
Thanks! I'm excited because my first self weaned at just turned 16 months when I was pregnant with our twins. Then they self weaned at 16 months and a couple weeks. If I tried to offer, they would get SO mad. This little guy LOVES to nurse though and is very enthusiastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post
Once a day doesn't sound like much, but I don't know how long you plan to nurse for. If you plan for a minimum of 2 years I would start to offer more. If 18 months is okay, then let it go.
I'd like to go beyond 2 years. It's up to him at this point. I'll start offering more often.
#6 of 46 Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 PM

I was nursing about 10x/day and night at that age. I never offered either (kind of hoped he'd lose interest). He didn't lose interest though and I weaned him by 22 mos.

If you want to keep nursing then I'd definitely start offering more!

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#7 of 46 Old 10-02-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

I'm confused though, I thought as long as the child nurses at all, milk will be available. That your body would adjust and make just what he/she wanted. Is that not true? So my milk could go away if he's only nursing 1-2 times a day?
#8 of 46 Old 10-02-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
I'm confused though, I thought as long as the child nurses at all, milk will be available. That your body would adjust and make just what he/she wanted. Is that not true? So my milk could go away if he's only nursing 1-2 times a day?
I think a lot of people can continue at that rate. The weaning 'risk' is that your child will just lose interest if they are not nursing frequently enough (I think).

DS (6.06), DD (10.08), DD (05.11).

#9 of 46 Old 10-02-2008, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, in that case I think we'll be okay because he's very enthusiastic still. I'll still offer more and see what he thinks. I'm loving the acrobatics.
#10 of 46 Old 10-02-2008, 10:58 PM

Ds is 16 months and he nurses A LOT but he is teething---I'd say 6 times a day maybe more plus at night.
#11 of 46 Old 10-02-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumm View Post

LLL has a "don't offer, don't refuse" sort of policy which I don't fully understand.

This is a weaning technique. It's not a recommendation for the duration of a nursing relationship.
#12 of 46 Old 10-03-2008, 01:10 AM

my 18mth old nurses between 5 and 8 times in a 24hr period. i offer, he doesn't pull at my shirt or anything.

i kind of extended the advice of dr. newman - don't wait til a baby cries to nurse them, and my son appreciates being offered the breast. if he's upset he calms, and if he is calm he giggles, and will often stop nursing to kiss my face.

i love this age - expression of sheer joy for nursing. even when i don't feel like nursing, his reaction makes it pretty easy.

mama to callum (april 8,07) and everett (sept 24,09) - blessed to be married to my life's love since '98. novaxnocirc.gif

#13 of 46 Old 10-03-2008, 01:26 AM

My 17 mo old nurses about 4-6 times during the day and about 375 times a night.

Diane, SAHM to DD (June 05) and DS (April 07).
::::
#14 of 46 Old 10-03-2008, 01:59 PM

Dd definitely lost interest somewhere between 13 and 16 months. She wouldn't nurse all day, 8 to 10 hours. She got over it, though and now at 19 months she nurses 4-10 times a day. I hope I will be able to wean her when I get pregnant because I don't want to tandem nurse. She LOVES to nurse right now, though.
#15 of 46 Old 10-03-2008, 03:27 PM

When ds was 17 mo he nursed very often...like at least 10-15 times a day. He is now 27 mo and he is down to about 4-5 times. I stopped offering about a month or two ago...hoping to wean soon...we are almost night weaned!!!

Lyndsi~ wife to Justin, mama to Waylon (7/06) Orin (3/28/10) and a surprise arriving in Octoberbellycast.gif

#16 of 46 Old 10-03-2008, 04:36 PM

DD is almost 17 months and nurses 5-12 times a day, with the average being about 8. I definitely still offer. My lactation consultant says not offering is a form of weaning (I think I will start a new post about that).

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#17 of 46 Old 10-03-2008, 07:25 PM

17 m/o dd nurses about 15-20 times a day, 2-4 times a night. she REALLY likes to nurse
#18 of 46 Old 10-03-2008, 09:23 PM

Sydney nurses a LOT. She even asks herself by digging her hand in my shirt and saying Nana? Nana? it's very cute. She probably nurses a dozen or so times in a 24 hour period, at least twice during the night.
#19 of 46 Old 10-04-2008, 01:44 AM

my 17 m/o dd nurses about 20 times a day when we are at home. much less when we are out and about. we night weaned, but she still nurses 2-3 times before the nursies go nigh-night, and then for about an hour and a half straight when the sun comes up, and we are still in bed :P
#20 of 46 Old 10-04-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_McG View Post
I think a lot of people can continue at that rate. The weaning 'risk' is that your child will just lose interest if they are not nursing frequently enough (I think).
My 18 1/2 mo. old nursed once or twice a day from 14 - 17 mos... then I went into the hospital and I thought there would be no more milk. Two weeks later she was still asking for 'milkies' and I offered it to her, assuming that it would be gone. Apparently not... it was the longest feed ever! That was almost two months ago. For the last two months she's nursed 3 - 4 times a day. She's teething, too, so it's been more frequent this week.
#21 of 46 Old 10-04-2008, 06:44 PM

16 months and we feed morning nap and night. Sometimes in between too.
#22 of 46 Old 10-04-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnipmama View Post
Sydney nurses a LOT. She even asks herself by digging her hand in my shirt and saying Nana? Nana? it's very cute. She probably nurses a dozen or so times in a 24 hour period, at least twice during the night.
this is about like us as well, if i'm around her all day. if she goes to daycare for the day, then we nurse usually a couple times before leaving for there, then at pick-up, then about 3 times before bed and a couple times overnight. so it's about 10-12 times a day still. on a very busy day it might be as few as 7, but that's probably about as low as it goes.

dissertating wife of Boo, mama of one "mookie" lovin' 2 year old girl! intactlact:: CTA until 7/10 FF 1501dc
#23 of 46 Old 10-05-2008, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_McG View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyfamily6 View Post
Okay, in that case I think we'll be okay because he's very enthusiastic still. I'll still offer more and see what he thinks. I'm loving the acrobatics.
Oh my goodness. I can't believe the timing of this. I just posted the above (very enthusiastic to nurse) and the very next night, he refused! Completely refused, mad and pushing me away. Yesterday I was able to lay down with him and he nursed, but not for too long. Every time I offered again, no interest. I even tried sleeping in his bed with him and trying to do a sleepy feed but he's too sound of a sleeper and didn't stir. So this morning I brought him in to our bed and he nursed on one side, then the other. Five minutes later he nurse on both sides again. I'm determined now to offer often. He has refused every other time.

ETA: I just tried something that worked (this time anyway). I gave him something to hold, then offered to nurse. He just nursed very well on both sides. Yay!
I also regret not having more resources when my others were younger, because I would have kept trying, assuming they were just "too busy" or something. That's water under the bridge now though, I can't change it. But I'm going to keep at it with this guy. Does anyone have any tips?
#24 of 46 Old 10-06-2008, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to update and say that nursing is back and going well. I noticed that his two top molars AND two incisors popped through. That definitely could have had to do with his unhappiness with nursing. And, he took his first steps yesterday and started walking all over the place today. I'm not sure if that had anything to do with it or not, I'm just excited that he finally started walking!

I offered several times today (and he gratefully accepted each time) and he nursed four times.
#25 of 46 Old 10-06-2008, 11:14 PM

I weaned by daughter when she was 15 months because I could not take it anymore... Every time there was something new/different on her environment she nursed every 2 hours day and night!!!!!

It was definately a comfort thing...
Gigi
#26 of 46 Old 10-07-2008, 02:48 AM

Avery nurses no more than 3 times during the day and unfortunately about a billion times in the course of the night. I really miss sleeping for stretches longer than 1.5 hours. It's like having a newborn. My nips feel like hamburger in the morning.
#27 of 46 Old 10-07-2008, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My ds is 16mo old and whenever my pediatrician asks this question, my response if "whenever he wants." The truth is I don't count but he definitely nurses when wakes up in the morning, to take his nap and to go to bed at night. He is a fluent signer and can ask for Mommie's Milk whenever he wants and I would estimate he asks maybe 2-3 additional times each day. Unless of course, he is sick or teething and then he refuses to eat anything but yogurt and cheese and nurses ALL DAY LONG!
#28 of 46 Old 10-08-2008, 05:37 PM

He nurses the same as he did as a newborn if not more. I'm beginning to wonder if it'll ever change.
#29 of 46 Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 PM

My son is 17.5mo and nurses every hour or two (or more often) all day long. He nurses 1-4x/night, but I don't always wake up for it. He can help himself if I'm on my side.

I offer frequently. It feels natural to keep offering. I can't imagine not offering right now. It might feel more natural to not offer in another six or twelve months. I won't know until we get there.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#30 of 46 Old 10-09-2008, 01:54 PM

My 17 m.o. nurses about 10-15 times in a 24 hr. period. I don't usually offer, just because he is nursing so often, I feel like I would be permanently attached if I did, lol. Seriously, though, he asks so often, I see a need to offer. There have been some really busy days when I got to the end of the day and realized that he had only nursed maybe 4 or 5 times. I don't like that, because I don't want him to wean. I make a special effort the following day to offer more frequently if he seems busy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page