How long before the milk dries up? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-08-2008, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
kbl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My toddler and I just weaned yesterday - bittersweet - he is doing fine but my boobies hurt! I don't want to pump bc I don't want to encourage milk production. My question: how long did it take for your milk to dry up? We had been down to 1/day for some time, so I didn't think I was still producing much milk.

thanks.
#2 of 13 Old 10-09-2008, 01:13 AM

Probably only a day or so.
#3 of 13 Old 10-09-2008, 01:20 AM

when both mine weaned we were down to once a day nursing as well. It took about 2 weeks before I could no longer get even a drop.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#4 of 13 Old 10-09-2008, 11:40 AM

Wow. I just came here to ask this exact question. My 3 year old weaned at least 6 months ago and I am still producing milk. Not a ton, but it's still there. I'm guessing that sometimes it just takes a lot of time. But the full/engorged feeling should go away within a week I would think.
#5 of 13 Old 10-12-2008, 03:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysumthing View Post
Probably only a day or so.
My 4 year old goes up to a week between milk-sessions, and my breasts still make milk and ache in a milk sort of way.

So I'm thinking that this is definitely individual. saysumthing might have experienced a day, I know it would take longer than a week (who knows how much longer???), and HeatherHeather has experienced 6 months! Very very individual.
#6 of 13 Old 10-12-2008, 06:24 PM

I've heard different things from different people and I think it just depends. If you are really engorged maybe try pumping just a bit or hand-expressing to make it comfortable and avoid plugged ducts and then taper off. Cabbage leaves can help too. Or since he's a toddler he may decide to start up again so you may want to pump to keep a supply just in case...although it sounds like that's not what you both want?
#7 of 13 Old 10-28-2008, 10:57 AM

My son and I also stopped BF 16 days ago and I still have milk. I came here to ask this same question because I was very much engorged and plugged up. I had to hand-express two times in the past 2 weeks to get some relief.

My mother told me she knew of a woman who could still make milk 3 months after weaning her child.

So I guess it's very much an individual thing.

I also read somewhere that it is not a good idea to get intimate if you are trying to wean or (dry up the milk), as the hormones stimulate more milk production. I tried to find the source of this info, but couldn't find it. Seems to make sense. Anybody else have info on that?

Also what do you do with the cabbage leaves? Eat them? Put them on your boobs? Sorry, it's a silly question but I had to ask.
#8 of 13 Old 10-28-2008, 11:01 AM

For those of you CLW, it's quite likely that your children will nurse a few more times before totally weaned.

It's rarely abrupt- this is the last nursing-

-Angela
#9 of 13 Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 PM

I weaned my almost 4 year old at the begining of the summer and could express milk a full 2 months later.... all dry now after another 2 months. My breasts didn't hurt after the first couple of weeks but everytime I went to see if there was milk... there was!!!
#10 of 13 Old 10-28-2008, 07:24 PM

13 months later and I still have milk. Def plugs and a lump in nipple. Any advice on what else to try????
#11 of 13 Old 10-28-2008, 08:10 PM

Moving to BBBI.

Also - I didn't have pain when my 4yo weaned, [~6 months ago] but there's definately still milk there. I had a moment today when walking through the formula aisle at the grocery store - "But, wait! I've got milk! I'm sure I could nurse some of those babies!" Riiiiiight....

Can't give up actin' tough, it's all that I'm made of. Can't scrape together quite enough to ride the bus to the outskirts of the fact that I need love. ~ Neko Case

#12 of 13 Old 10-28-2008, 09:11 PM
PJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbl View Post
My toddler and I just weaned yesterday - bittersweet - he is doing fine but my boobies hurt! I don't want to pump bc I don't want to encourage milk production. My question: how long did it take for your milk to dry up? We had been down to 1/day for some time, so I didn't think I was still producing much milk.

thanks.
Why was this placed here?

Your boobies are telling you to continue to feed.
#13 of 13 Old 11-06-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJJ View Post
Why was this placed here?

Your boobies are telling you to continue to feed.
What an inappropriate thing to post! Your breasts only produce when/what needed! They dont TELL you to continue to nurse and you can't FORCE your child to nurse if they decide not too! Thats silly! Everyones horomones respond differently to weaning! Plus for those who have nursed for years your body is proboly just in the habit of producing milk and now has to learn to stop! Eventually it will stop it just takes time! Also something my friend did when she started weaning was wear a tighter bra, like a sports bra with breast pads and that seemed to help she said!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page